Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 15 Snow/Ice Chance

showmethesnow

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yes.  Looking at it now. Precip comes in quickly and cools the column nicely...850s in DC go from +1 to -3 from 9z to 12z.  But surface is 34 in the city and warms to 36 in the afternoon.  You stay at/below freezing at the surface until overnight into Friday.  

How does it compare to 12z?

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Can't hate the fact that this thing has continued to trend in a favorable fashion regardless of the snow outcome. I don't know if that's a sign or not for the winter but it sure does make the lead up a heck of a lot more enjoyable. 

Thank god it's mid November. If this storm happened as is during met winter Ji would  melt down worse than the mangled flakes in my yard on Thursday morning 

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

I'm probably five or so miles NW of you Bristow. Those five miles may be the difference between a white icy landscape and puddles and puddles of ice cold rain. lol

My biggest fear is that exact scenario.  But I now totally expect that.  I live west of 28 near the Safeway.  No doubt where the R/S line will set up.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

How does it compare to 12z?

Overall, I’d say a step back but the positives are quicker precip and cooler 850s at onset.  Precip starts in DC by 12z (0.1” already fallen by 12z in DC in the 18z run vs the 0.1” line SW of Manass at 12z run)..  850s slightly colder at the start.  Surface starts a touch colder in places but its a warmer run at the surface overall than 12z.  Looking at the verbatim 10:1 snowfall maps, definitely cut back...2.5” runs through DC vs 4.5” at 12z.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Anyone know what the standard ratio for sleet is? RGEM just absolutely whacked parts of Virginia with sleet/ice. 

~.75" frozen in Cville but I don't think any of it was snow.

Yeah. The RGEM is all frozen west of the Blue Ridge. Wish it went out a little further. I would like to see how we all do with the ULL.

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Overall, I’d say a step back but the positives are quicker precip and cooler 850s at onset.  Precip starts in DC by 12z (0.1” already fallen by 12z in DC in the 18z run vs the 0.1” line SW of Manass at 12z run)..  850s slightly colder at the start.  Surface starts a touch colder in places but its a warmer run at the surface overall than 12z.  Looking at the verbatim 10:1 snowfall maps, definitely cut back...2.5” runs through DC vs 4.5” at 12z.  

Euro temps have always been a lot more spot on for MBY than most others so warmer isn’t better for me

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

After looking over some things since the 12Z runs I have to wonder if the bigger story might be the ice/sleet storm that some people get. Have a feeling that we will see a band 25-50 miles wide of a fairly significant ice storm shaping up centered on or near the cities. Also leaning towards the favored areas to the west and around PA line actually have warning criteria snows.

Significant ice storm near the cities?     That's going to be extremely difficult to accomplish given the very warm antecedent ground/road temperatures.

23 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Thanks. Makes sense. Seems like we’re converging on consensus with the euro on the cold side and GFS on the warm. 

1 hour ago, Wonderdog said:

I'm probably five or so miles NW of you Bristow. Those five miles may be the difference between a white icy landscape and puddles and puddles of ice cold rain. lol

I am 8 miles NW (Haymarket) of you Wonderdog, but unfortunately I don’t think it will make much of a difference this time.  We do love a good CAD event at the base of Bull Run “mtn” but climo is a B.

My breakdown for Burke:

>2”: 0%

1-2”: 1%

0.5-1”: 10%

0.1-0.49”: 40%

T: 48%

0”: 1%

And I don’t really care because it’ll be November 15 when this happens. If this were early December and the same apparent outcome were to happen I’d probably be a little more miffed, but I’m more interested to see storm after storm heading up the coast with plenty of cold air around.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

DPs look to be near 20 in the colder spots to upper 20s in the cities at precip onset.  Should help with cooling temps initially.

The way this “over achieves” for us in the marginal zones is if it comes in hot and heavy. Cool the column and get a quick inch or two before the flip. Nice to be chasing a marginal event in November as opposed to the April Hail Mary 

Just now, Ji said:
2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:
This reminds me a lot of December 8, 2013.

I wish

It will proabably be a toned down version since it's three weeks earlier, but I think there could be a band that comes in and drops some good snow for 2-3 hours before the sleet begins. It'll probably be a little less snow for most and then less sleet and more rain than December 8, 2013.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic