• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2018-19 Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowlover2

The latest euro has a snow pack-destroying torch from Feb 1-4.  For this week we've been discussing how long the temp might remain below zero.  We may go from that straight to the opposite extreme.  The euro now shows the temp across a large part of our region remaining above to well-above freezing for four days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The latest euro has a snow pack-destroying torch from Feb 1-4.  For this week we've been discussing how long the temp might remain below zero.  We may go from that straight to the opposite extreme.  The euro now shows the temp across a large part of our region remaining above to well-above freezing for four days.

probably bring a cutter with it, and than back to cold.

18 minutes ago, Chambana said:

I have 53 in my forecast Sunday and 58 for Monday. It’s going to feel unreal to go from -40 WC to springlike weather in 5 days. Nice 100 degree temp spread. 

Im going to say someone hits 70-75 next week in the midwest. Not sure how far northeast that warmth can get but I expect a few places in Ohio to get in the low 60s. 

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

Really going out on a limb with that..... Lol

Ha ha, you would think so...but our winter climo is horrible, meaning that we are left to actually be appreciative when it actually feels like winter during DJF. 

Even though we have had a decent 2 week stretch in the second half of January, winter is supposed to be 13 weeks, not 2. The first 7 weeks of met winter were a disaster, and now we have to deal with a huge thaw when it took so much to go right in order to get our winter landscape to where it is today.

Such is life here...just a fact, not complaining about anything. :snowman: It makes one appreciate any winter-like pattern here when it does occur. 

• Like 2

Word has it that the EPS has a pretty strong -EPO in the long range. If so, it could be a decent pattern in the Midwest. 

Just need to get through this disaster over the next few days. 3 weeks of decent winter weather gets completely wiped out in 2 days...unfortunately it’s par for the course in our horrible climo south of 45N. 

Do you recall that even in Jan 2014 after the Jan 5-7 cold shot, a few days later we had 5 consecutive 40s? One of those things easy to forget about that epic winter. Hopefully the upcoming pattern delivers and we rebuild what we're losing through Monday. It's a good look on the European ensemble mean in the medium and long range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I think there's plenty of reason for optimism over the upcoming 2-3 weeks.  The GFS and ECM suites have drastically different evolutions with the MJO, which causes large differences in their medium-long range patterns...

MJO.thumb.jpg.d95f87d4be3a23bf32e75246cd0b0342.jpg

The EPS takes the MJO into phase 8 quicker, while the GFS loops it through phase 6 and 7 at a high amplitude before eventually translating it east later in the run.  This results in the EPS being colder overall through the run.  Both suites pop a -EPO in the 6-10 and try lowering the NAO, while the GEFS becomes more zonal in the 11-15.  Both would support a sharp gradient across the Midwest with snow opportunities, though the EPS would open the door farther south earlier.  May be a situation where a strong storm cuts some (though IA, Chicago, Detroit would still probably see snow even with a stronger storm) while a weaker wave favors farther south, given the -PNA and meager looking -NAO at the moment on the smoothed ensemble means.  A higher PNA or stronger -NAO would act to shift even the stronger storms farther south.  

629020905_EPS6-10.thumb.png.3d4a264421c2a2f43489e0d2ac5d59d9.png

1255106066_GEFS6-10.thumb.png.bd65281f106f993ab8e7a47a432d5a2a.png

44092520_EPS11-15.thumb.png.d5e08423160f26e71be3f336eb11b63c.png

1552647318_GEFS11-15.thumb.png.3940d747782b09ebd88ff6cd3d16b1d2.png

I don't think the GEFS evolution of the MJO is right, and it still suggests snow potential, but it will be interesting to watch.  A prolonged -EPO was a big feature in the 13-14 and 14-15 winters even with a neutral to positive NAO...and if we see it again, there certainly will be more cold/snow given how active the pattern remains.  Regardless of the MJO, both suites show higher than normal pressure over eastern Asia, which is a positive East Asian Mountain Torque and would favor an extended Pacific jet and Aleutian low, which gives some confidence in the EPO being largely negative for the foreseeable future.  The PNA might come down to MJO evolution more, while the NAO remains a crapshoot this winter. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Word has it that the EPS has a pretty strong -EPO in the long range. If so, it could be a decent pattern in the Midwest. 

Just need to get through this disaster over the next few days. 3 weeks of decent winter weather gets completely wiped out in 2 days...unfortunately it’s par for the course in our horrible climo south of 45N. 

Yup. I hate living this far south.

• Like 1

I would take last Winter in a heartbeat after this rollercoaster we've been on this year. I mean last winter had a roller coaster to some extent, but solid Winter by far dominated. This entire Winter has been unpredictable until almost short range time. And what a wild one. From a November where it was cold and snowed seemingly every day, to pure hell from December through mid January with only a few dustings of snow, to deep Winter for the 2nd half of January including a record shattering cold blast which occurred during the coldest part of Winter, now a huge thaw. What is next?

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I would take last Winter in a heartbeat after this rollercoaster we've been on this year. I mean last winter had a roller coaster to some extent, but solid Winter by far dominated. This entire Winter has been unpredictable until almost short range time. And what a wild one. From a November where it was cold and snowed seemingly every day, to pure hell from December through mid January with only a few dustings of snow, to deep Winter for the 2nd half of January including a record shattering cold blast which occurred during the coldest part of Winter, now a huge thaw. What is next?

Wash, rinse, repeat perhaps??

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Who would have thought we would flip to a RNA pattern in the afterglow of the ssw? It took a late starting winter, which turned very promising and made it much more questionable, especially in the OV.

It all depends where the baroclinic zone lies. Remember though 2008 had a March snowstorm down there so there is still a chance. 

I'll tell you what, that system on Thursday would be a major severe wx/tornado outbreak in late March/April for the region should that type of setup come back around.
Too early to start a spring discussion about how the most recent Euro weeklies are showing western troughing and eastern ridging in mid to late March?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Too early to start a spring discussion about how the most recent Euro weeklies are showing western troughing and eastern ridging in mid to late March?

Normally I'd say yes with it being only ~3 weeks to met spring, but the weeklies have also been performing horribly all winter lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1