Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2018-19 Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowlover2

46 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Just seeing it on a map is crazy....but fv3 has 2m temps hitting  -30 in Ohio.  

Pretty amazing turnaround on the models. Remember how JB was despairing last week? Looks like he may be right this year after all. I do know that Toronto experienced its coldest October/November period since 1980 this past Fall. Essentially it was December and early January that were warm. I think we may have already had our January thaw.

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Me too. It really stung to miss this event, even though I expected to miss it all along.  In no way am I implying that every event must hit here lol, I think it's because we were stuck in such a mild benign weather pattern since the beginning of December, it seemed unfair that areas to the South would score as soon as the pattern turned colder while here in Southern Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc we are high dry and bare ground. Those areas were definitely more due than us from recent years, but the start to this Winter after a nice November has been brutal.

That said I am really loving the storm signals for next weekend. The consistency on the models has been something. I can't recall if models still lose things on day 5 and then bring them back, guess we will find out later today and tomorrow lol but to be honest I'm more worried about missing to the South than having too much warm air pumped up with this one. Some of the scenarios with this one would be quite a Winter storm. Huge temperature drop during the storm.

What intrigues me is how this is looking to be a cold storm. Some models are predicting highs in the low single digits for Toronto while it is snowing. It kind of reminds me of what happened around January 20, 2005. I believe there was a cold storm around that time too.

I love these set-ups as it means I can say to people, "see, it can snow when it'[s cold".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

What intrigues me is how this is looking to be a cold storm. Some models are predicting highs in the low single digits for Toronto while it is snowing. It kind of reminds me of what happened around January 20, 2005. I believe there was a cold storm around that time too.

I love these set-ups as it means I can say to people, "see, it can snow when it'[s cold".

I agree. Is there any snow on the ground in Toronto?

Temperatures here were in the upper single digits and lower teens during the February 13th 2007 storm.

40 minutes ago, iluvsnow said:

Because seeing is believing......

fv3p_T2m_us_58.png

While I doubt these extreme numbers come to fruition, it's not like it's just one rogue run. The FV3 has been hellbent on outrageous cold in the long range.  Lol if that Matt panned out it would probably be clear and -30゚in Columbus and we would be getting Lake effect pixie dust showers here with temperatures around -8゚

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

While I doubt these extreme numbers come to fruition, it's not like it's just one rogue run. The FV3 has been hellbent on outrageous cold in the long range.  Lol if that Matt panned out it would probably be clear and -30゚in Columbus and we would be getting Lake effect pixie dust showers here with temperatures around -8゚

Thus see Bastardi's compare with Jan '82 cold waves and that's the exact wx I remember in Genesee Cnty to confirm your call :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Sweet jebus, my coffee mug frosted over just looking at that.  :shiver:

Yea and there's nothing fun about that.   I experienced -22 back during the Jan '94(or '95 can't recall which), super arctic outbreak.   It was interesting for a day just to experience, but that's about it.  I lived in a condo complex at the time and no one could go to work because their cars wouldn't start.     Also, once you get down to temps that extreme, the misery index sky rockets for most people due to things like pipes freezing, car issues, heating concerns, and quite simply life-threatening cold.     

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Yea and there's nothing fun about that.   I experienced -22 back during the Jan '94(or '95 can't recall which), super arctic outbreak.   It was interesting for a day just to experience, but that's about it.  I lived in a condo complex at the time and no one could go to work because their cars wouldn't start.     Also, once you get down to temps that extreme, the misery index sky rockets for most people due to things like pipes freezing, car issues, heating concerns, and quite simply life-threatening cold.     

You're thinking of 1994, not 95.

• Thanks 1

these storms will add to the snowpack over time increasing the snow water equivalent.., even mixed precip will get soaked in. and colder weather means its going to stick around and add up..we are at midwinter and warmer march isn't that far away

although there is a lack of deep snowpack over the upper midwest attm..not the case in MO/IL area

last year was very wet ..and soil moisture and rivers are already high, if not in flood

a wet spring could be trouble

a wildcard to keep an eye on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

That looks a bit like what I've read about the January 1982 outbreak.

• Like 1

We got into the -30's here for that one and the -20's sometime in the late 90's iirc. I hope that we don't approach that again. Minus single digits is plenty cold enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The 12z FV3 is about as good as it gets... a series of snow events and reinforcing cold through the end of the run.  That would make a lot of us forget about the first half of winter.

And the new FV3 certainly outperformed the GFS in this current storm we just experienced.  That and the European will hold my interest this coming week.  At least there will be active weather to follow.

8 hours ago, buckeye said:

It was '94.  First real cold i can remember as a kid.