• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2018-19 Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowlover2

The system around the 7th/8th of January is well adverstised by the non-US models, but not so much by the GFS and others.  The other thing that this system has going for it, is the period of transition to a -AO and +PNA.  This is typically a good time for our sub forum.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frog Town said:

The system around the 7th/8th of January is well adverstised by the non-US models, but not so much by the GFS and others.  The other thing that this system has going for it, is the period of transition to a -AO and +PNA.  This is typically a good time for our sub forum.  

I hope so! I haven't seen anything over an inch so far this year, and even then it's melted by mid-afternoon. Starting to feel like Missouri in these parts (no offense to that part of the sub-forum). 

Apparently JB of Weatherbell is on the brink of throwing in the towel for cold this winter. He sounded more despondent on his video than I have ever heard him over the past 18 years. I think he knows that his forecast has busted. To be fair, a lot of weather outlets are busting this year. The National Weather Service may score the coup as they called for a very warm winter while almost every other outlet was calling for cold.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I gotta see this JB video.  Sounds like a corker.  

I've had WB for several years now and have never watched any of the vids until today.  It was pretty funny.  Kinda reminded me of Clark Griswold after he found out he got the jelly of the month subscription for his xmas bonus.

• Haha 9

On 1/3/2019 at 9:39 PM, cyclone77 said:

I've had WB for several years now and have never watched any of the vids until today.  It was pretty funny.  Kinda reminded me of Clark Griswold after he found out he got the jelly of the month subscription for his xmas bonus.

Oh man, now I have to watch this.

What's funny is that after JB did that video, finally positive signs in the long range on the ensembles, with 2 consecutive EPS runs showing significant improvements later in the run and a good run of the weeklies week 2-3 and onward (despite initializing with a terrible EPS run). I still think it'll be a case of delayed but not denied this winter w.r.t. persistent below to well below normal cold.

Can only hope that if/when the pattern does flip we get some good spread the wealth snow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/antmasiello/status/1081170116576972800

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Now it's up to cousin Eddie to save the day...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, snowlover2 said:

Finally got some eye candy from the 0z GGEM. Highly unlikely to happen but nice to look at. It develops a storm off the GA coast which then rides up the coast and heads back WNW into PA. Still snowing in E MI and basically all of Ohio at the end of the run.

gem_asnow_ncus_40.png

I'd mourn for Indy if that happened.... I've always felt CMH and Indy have a special bond of brotherhood, forged in futility.

1 hour ago, DAFF said:

Best fantasy snow of the season IMBY.. I'd be pumped for a solid C-1 at this point. Yet to have any accumulating snow that didn't melt on impact on asphalt. So much equipment sitting idle.

With all of those accumulating snows in November, only one (November 15th) stuck to the pavement. After the next few weeks the long range is looking much, much colder, so a period of Winter is finally looking like it's on the way.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

With all of those accumulating snows in November, only one (November 15th) stuck to the pavement. After the next few weeks the long range is looking much, much colder, so a period of Winter is finally looking like it's on the way.

You're in better shape than we are.  According to the eps your 15 day total snow mean is approaching 2.5"

Just make sure you post pics!

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, buckeye said:

You're in better shape than we are.  According to the eps your 15 day total snow mean is approaching 2.5"

Just make sure you post pics!

Lol how do you get EPS snowfall? The next 2 weeks look continued mild, thereafter is when the cold looks to take over. It's one thing to hear of cold euro weeklies, but when I see CPC & CFS going blue in the longrange, confidence is high in a turn towards much colder weather

16 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Lol how do you get EPS snowfall? The next 2 weeks look continued mild, thereafter is when the cold looks to take over. It's one thing to hear of cold euro weeklies, but when I see CPC & CFS going blue in the longrange, confidence is high in a turn towards much colder weather

You should know better than taking me literally. :P I'm being a bit facetious here.   My point is that although all signs point to colder weather,  the eps mean is putrid for a 15 day stretch in January for our neck of the woods.   That would indicate there are plenty of ensemble members out of the 51 that are complete shutouts, (and there are, I checked).   We are in the Midwest, in January, with temps heading for a cool down and it appears we could be heading for a dry NW flow pattern, as Stebo has also indicated.

Emerging from the wettest year on record for CMH only makes it even more craptastic.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, buckeye said:

You should know better than taking me literally. :P I'm being a bit facetious here.   My point is that although all signs point to colder weather,  the eps mean is putrid for a 15 day stretch in January for our neck of the woods.   That would indicate there are plenty of ensemble members out of the 51 that are complete shutouts, (and there are, I checked).   We are in the Midwest, in January, with temps heading for a cool down and it appears we could be heading for a dry NW flow pattern, as Stebo has also indicated.

Emerging from the wettest year on record for CMH only makes it even more craptastic.

Really to be expected around here. You can’t expect to continue this wet pattern if pattern is ultimately going to change.

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

I agree it's terrible. Such a wintry November was a treat, but the suffering of December through the 1st half of January is far worse  I would take a November shut out any day over that. But the cold is after 15 days, so it does not surprise me that the 15 day looks bad. Doesn't make things better, just saying. I'm just thankful a change appears to be coming. With the way this Winter has gone, I will take my chances with Northwest flow in a heartbeat. At least there would be SOME snow.  I also want to add that I have never in the history of weatherboards seen a change towards a colder than average Winter pattern without people lamenting it will be dry Northwest flow (sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't).

Do you have to pay for EPS snowfall means?

38 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Really to be expected around here. You can’t expect to continue this wet pattern if pattern is ultimately going to change.

I know it seems that way in recent years.   Honestly though wet and cold patterns shouldn't be exclusive.   We had some amazing low pressure tracks for early winter that failed to produce because there was no cold air anywhere, but it's not like having antecedent cold air around would have kept those storm tracks from happening.   I don't think cold and wet are mutually exclusive.....granted....BRUTALLY cold and wet usually are though.

If we can keep this <angrysummons>boobie<angrysummons>  look going.....split flow...and start bringing normal to slightly below normal air on the playing field than our only issue becomes timing, but at least there's something to track.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I know it seems that way in recent years.   Honestly though wet and cold patterns shouldn't be exclusive.   We had some amazing low pressure tracks for early winter that failed to produce because there was no cold air anywhere, but it's not like having antecedent cold air around would have kept those storm tracks from happening.   I don't think cold and wet are mutually exclusive.....granted....BRUTALLY cold and wet usually are though.

If we can keep this <angrysummons>boobie<angrysummons>  look going.....split flow...and start bringing normal to slightly below normal air on the playing field than our only issue becomes timing, but at least there's something to track.

Believe it when I see it. Though, I fully anticipate texts from my sister on the east coast complaining of all the snow. She recently moved & I tried to get her to move here so she could bring some of that luck this way. 

Just now, pondo1000 said:

Believe it when I see it. Though, I fully anticipate texts from my sister on the east coast complaining of all the snow. She recently moved & I tried to get her to move here so she could bring some of that luck this way. 

My daughter moved to DC for work this summer.  When she came home for Christmas she told me she loved how warm it is there :lol:.