Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2018-19 Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowlover2

5 hours ago, Powerball said:

Yep. The main thing I remember was the intense snowfall rates and huge flake size once the dry slottibg finally passed. Picked up 3" in 1.5 hours.

I remember that as well and then the gorgeous scenery the next day. Probably one of the most picturesque snowfalls I've ever seen.

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Looks like a Nina type pattern for a period of time.  Somebody tell mother nature.

There seems to be a split flow pattern across the Pacific, enhancing the Pacific jet allowing for continuous storms along the west coast. With the NAO block, we can retain the cold and the split flow will work in our favour allowing for more storminess into our region. We'll see how this transpires. 

The overall look is a combo of both Nina and Nino with the +PNA and neutral EPO. This will later evolve into a more -EPO blocking pattern and a -PNA. How long it lasts, we'll see.

Starting to wonder if my trip to Florida for my daughter soccer showcase is in jeopardy From Dec 04-08. As a snow contractor this time of the season is usually not very concerning, this season not so much. A coating wouldn't be too bad the guys could get through it. Anything more would mean a quick flight home for me.

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I say bring the pain!  Let's make this a memorable season lol.  Not that it isn't already.  :guitar:

I will gladly take the pain. The Detroit area has seen anywhere from 3 to 12" of snow this November but shoveling has not once been necessary.  It has been a parade of small wet snowfalls. In fact of my 5.9" of snow, only once (November 15th, 1.5") has shoveling even been possible. While it is certainly nice to see it only puts me all the more in the Winter mood and missing the 1st big storm of the season was the capper. Im in fierce Need-Winter mode now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I will gladly take the pain. The Detroit area has seen anywhere from 3 to 12" of snow this November but shoveling has not once been necessary.  It has been a parade of small wet snowfalls. In fact of my 5.9" of snow, only once (November 15th, 1.5") has shoveling even been possible. While it is certainly nice to see it only puts me all the more in the Winter mood and missing the 1st big storm of the season was the capper. Im in fierce Need-Winter mode now!

I picked up like 2 inches.... You can see my webcam on my sig now... still there.

I let my warm south facing driveway melt away. Not going to do anymore than necessary. 

It looks to me like the GFS and NAM are trending a little south with the next potential storm, with the NAM bringing the snow line south just shy of us. But after the last disappointment I’m planning on nothing yet. 84 hours being long range for that model and all. It looks like a separate swath of snow from the main punch. Maybe deformation?