Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2018-19 Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowlover2

58 minutes ago, buckeye said:

So general concensus backed up with euro weeklies is a pretty cold and stormy 2 to 3 week period followed by a relaxation, (just in time for xmas of course :rolleyes:)....then we see how long and what happens next.

Things definitely look primed for an early season event or 2 for the sub before any relaxation occurs.

I really hope we don’t torch too bad in time for Christmas. I hate that!

• Like 3

Just now, IWXwx said:

I don't remember a low doing that, and I'm older than dirt.

It happens more often than we think, just not at this low of latitude, usually that stuff happens up in eastern Quebec and the Labrador. It is just a wacky pattern all around for this time of year.

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

It happens more often than we think, just not at this low of latitude, usually that stuff happens up in eastern Quebec and the Labrador. It is just a wacky pattern all around for this time of year.

Right, I meant in this part of the world. Interesting little fujiwharalike thing.

Hudson Bay rapidly freezing over this week, James Bay already half frozen (western half). This is allowing frigid arctic air to arrive in northern Ontario with less than usual early season modification.

Looks like a very potent lake effect setup for tomorrow into Thursday. WNW type localized squalls with 12-24" potential. 

This reminds me of Nov 1976 when all lakes in central Ontario froze over a month to six weeks ahead of schedule and Dec-Jan were brutally cold, Feb-Mar 1977 turned exceptionally warm. 

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah goes around the top side of the upper low. What an unusual pattern, odds of verification <1%.

The models have been consistent with the lows splitting. One over Huron and another moving east over Nova Scotia. Would be a decent lake effect setup for Buffalo and consistent light accumulating snow for the rest of the forum. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_29.png

• Like 1

Anyone else notice the low is pretty vertically stacked on the GFS and even shows some slight weakening as it moves eastward into the Ohio Valley? I haven't researched this much, but in my experience a slightly weaker cyclone could yield a further southern (right deviation) track?

• Like 1

Although it’s still far out, seems to be increasing confidence in a storm system affecting the Midwest/Ohio Valley 5-6 days out. GFS is most aggressive for now but something to watch. 

GFS/GEM currently has a 6-12” swath of snow through central Iowa up through southwestern Wisconsin, while the Euro is further SE with a narrower band of similar amounts. 

The FV3 and Euro are deeper with the trough/surface low in the Lakes at 96 hrs.  That allows the incoming system to end up on the southern end of model solutions.  Probably a hail mary to get this thing to track much farther south but that feature trending slower/stronger would be a way to do it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The FV3 and Euro are deeper with the trough/surface low in the Lakes at 96 hrs.  That allows the incoming system to end up on the southern end of model solutions.  Probably a hail mary to get this thing to track much farther south but that feature trending slower/stronger would be a way to do it.

This is a fun early season system to track, but one neg is this looks like it may be sort of a thread the needle type of an event.  Looks like it could end up being a relatively narrow swath of potentially warning criteria snows, with not much else outside of the main swath.  Also very little warm sector precip with this wave, which is in stark contrast to the wave that precedes it.

• Like 2

The wind component on this has me concerned for some possible blizzard conditions somewhere. GFS was showing northerly winds of almost 30 knots. I was looking at weather.us and it was showing average surface gusts of 50 knots over Eastern Iowa. If that verifies with even 6 inches of snow, that could be big trouble. I remember on December 20, 2012 we had about 5 inches of snow in Galesburg, IL and one of the sensors clocked a 65 mph gust and it was an absolute mess with wrecks. I was in Wisconsin (unrelated).....I still got around 15 inches up there. I'm really rooting for this one to shift a little more southeast so I can get in on some backyard action. But I also have a place north of Davenport, Iowa so I can always go up there and document it too. Fun storm to track for so early in the season as Cyclone said! :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

This is a fun early season system to track, but one neg is this looks like it may be sort of a thread the needle type of an event.  Looks like it could end up being a relatively narrow swath of potentially warning criteria snows, with not much else outside of the main swath.  Also very little warm sector precip with this wave, which is in stark contrast to the wave that precedes it. 

If the FV3 is right, you'll be in prime position up there in Erie. Lock it in. I know its a week out, but still fun to look at

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yea, this will be a fun one to pin down for sure. The 00z GFS shifted the Upper low track farther NW, while the 00z Euro came out looking pretty identical to the FV3 GFS from last night in terms of track/placement and potential outcome. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Encouraged to see that the Sun-Mon system is continuing to look fairly potent on most of the guidance.  GFS-FV3 lays down over a foot of snow for eastern IA/northern IL/southern WI.  That would be insane to see something like that this early for this area.  

It's a bit early but please verify GFS-FV3!

• Like 2