Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Best Wx Model Package

40/70 Benchmark

Best Weather Package  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which best suites your weenie needs?

• Wxbell
    • Stormvista
    • Eurowx
    • Weathermodels.com
    • Weather.us

I recently purchased a subscription for Ryan Maue's models and it's not terrible. For $10 a month you can access to Euro products...I wish there were more products available but I'm sure this will continue growing over time.

What I would love to see happen though is for the College of DuPage to perhaps considering exploring going a subscription route to incorporate Euro data as well. Their model interface and products they keep making available are just top notch. 

I can't stand though all these ridiculous model snowfall graphics...just such a waste. 

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I know Maue has the 6z/18z. That may be the deal breaker for me.

Oh man, that's a marketable difference...I think WxBell has better EPS products (or at least more substantial list) from what I can see between the two options, but not having the 6z and 18z runs of the Euro could swing the decision here too.

So the Euro is currently running 6z and 18z?  I don't hear it mentioned yet in casual banter/discussion.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh man, that's a marketable difference...I think WxBell has better EPS products (or at least more substantial list) from what I can see between the two options, but not having the 6z and 18z runs of the Euro could swing the decision here too.

So the Euro is currently running 6z and 18z?  I don't hear it mentioned yet in casual banter/discussion.

We’ve talked about it a few times. SV has it.

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If it showed snow you would have.................:lol:, Its been out on SV for well over a month (10/01), Out to 90 hrs on the Op and ensembles go to hr 144 on 06z and 18z runs

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

PF go here on weatrhermodels.com, The off hour runs are in here:

9-km USA Surface + 3-Hourly

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like Maue has a menu option for the 6z/18z euro, but clicking it brings you to the 12z run. Maybe you can’t see it on the preview yet.

Thanks guys, I may have to try his out.  I don't subscribe anywhere during the summer but love the pay sites in the winter.  I mean, $12 vs $25 or whatever a month isn't much of a deal breaker...but data is.

On 11/6/2018 at 3:53 PM, wxsniss said:

I like the Euro cross-section products available on weatherbell for winter storms... anyone know if other services offer similar?

I've always considered NWS to be the gold standard for forecasts, but it's interesting to see how many private services are now competing.

Along with the pervasive access to (and improving quality of) computer models that have taken some of the fun out of these forums. 

I've commented on this before... uncertainty and flawed modeling are part of why this hobby can be so suspenseful, addictive, and fun. And why it's a learning experience too. Maybe it's inevitable, but I'd hate a future where anyone could just rip-read a 100% accurate 96-hour computer model clown map that supplants the need to understand meteorology or the need for skilled forecasters.

Forecasts I'd agree (I'm a little biased though), but we've always been terrible at model display/graphics.

My guess is Maue's new site will grow as he adds more features, just like WeatherBell did. How WeatherBell has not gotten the 06/18z Euro runs yet is pretty bad. Actually now that I think about it, how the NWS isn't pushing that to the local WFOs is beyond me. 

I use wxbell.   PF was the one who suggested it a couple of years ago after I was always asking what was the Euro shows.  The only thing that I don't like is the way the graphics and drop down menus work.  I'm always going into the US regions or Boston metro.  The weatherbell logo banner takes up too much of the page so I have to go to full screen.  Maybe it is just my PC laptop resolution.  I called them earlier this year and they said they were going to do a full redesign this past summer.  Still waiting on that.

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Perfectly happy with SV without feeling the need for anything else.  Off hour euro, first with most data.  Case closed.  The only thing to consider is the fact that their snow maps are least weenie.

Yup, There the most reasonable that i have seen and outlines the areas that are marginal pretty well.

26 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Perfectly happy with SV without feeling the need for anything else.  Off hour euro, first with most data.  Case closed.  The only thing to consider is the fact that their snow maps are least weenie.

I'm still a bitter betty over the JackO stuff.