joxey
Annual Cheers Gathering

ROOSTA

Date  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which date do you prefer?

• December 14th
    • December 21st
    • December 17th (For Jerry Since I missed it)

If memory serves correct the gathering was last-minute weekday (after work deal). The Friday Night idea would be a pseudo weeknight, week-end deal. My problem is traveling. I want to do Thanksgiving and still might fly for a day or three. Christmas is more chaotic and for many, well to many commitments. Any-day, anytime. Maybe options (voting) for firm date should be several days. Thinking of driving up so any date will do just needs to be collectively decided.     

7 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

There are still only 2 voting options, and the 17th is not one of them.

Why would it be the 17th?  That's a Monday and the beginning of a work week.  Guaranteed almost no one could make that.  The 14th or 21st would make more sense since they are the 2 Friday evenings prior to Christmas,

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Why would it be the 17th?  That's a Monday and the beginning of a work week.  Guaranteed almost no one could make that.  The 14th or 21st would make more sense since they are the 2 Friday evenings prior to Christmas,

That's exactly what I was thinking. Previous years were on Friday's intended for those working in Beantown. First year there where only a-half dozen attendees. Open to all but I think the date should be kept on Friday just MHO.

It has always traditionally been on a monday since that is how the gathering started in 2013....weekends also tend to be tougher around the holiday season. That said, I could maybe make the 21st but the 14th is out for me. I'll be in Buffalo, NY 12/14-12/17.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It has always traditionally been on a monday since that is how the gathering started in 2013....weekends also tend to be tougher around the holiday season. That said, I could maybe make the 21st but the 14th is out for me. I'll be in Buffalo, NY 12/14-12/17.

I'll be in Orlando the 21st.

11 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

...just making waves like I do.

I've been to 3 of the Monday gatherings in the past 5 years. Definitely not optimal date, but the turn out has been good in the past.  I am not sure how the Monday thing started, but I am think it has something to do with Jerry and his schedule.  The Monday Christmas gtg has been his thing.

I will try to make it when ever. 

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What about a normal gtg that isn’t in the city? It would be nice to get others from western areas and CT. Funky Murphy’s always worked.

The Holiday gtg is unique in the first was very last-minute and turned out it worked. Traditions are tough to change (like going to a sisters of brothers house instead of parents for family festivities) If change is warranted as to garner a larger turn-out I'm all for it but maybe a later or earlier date. Left corner at Clarke's is comfortable with good juju! 

17 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

The Holiday gtg is unique in the first was very last-minute and turned out it worked. Traditions are tough to change (like going to a sisters of brothers house instead of parents for family festivities) If change is warranted as to garner a larger turn-out I'm all for it but maybe a later or earlier date. Left corner at Clarke's is comfortable with good juju! 

Could do earlier or later I suppose. Or just scrap it for a larger gtg in Jan? I guess I’m just trying to look at it from a turnout perspective. 

Whatever date or location is okay. Any later or earlier I'll be unable to attend (topic specific to Clarke's) IMO location should be firm it's because of personal logistics to be worked out.
T-day I'm flying up, Xmas-NY I'm driving and confined to an approx. two-week window. Maybe start another thread for some-other gtg not related to tradition.
Whatever is decided collectively.         

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

What about a normal gtg that isn’t in the city? It would be nice to get others from western areas and CT. Funky Murphy’s always worked.

I agree. I mean if this was going to be on a Monday I wouldn't be able to make it anyways. Would easily be 3 hours for me to get to Boston and by the time I would get there it would just be time to come back. I made it to the Monday one last year but traffic was a headache and I ended up paying $40 for parking. 

In addition to the holiday one I don't see why we can't just plan a spring/early summer one now on a Saturday and throw dates out. 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:38 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

We’ve had it Monday night for the past years.   I would pass on Friday.

Just now, weathafella said:

We’ve had it Monday night for the past years.   I would pass on Friday.

My mind has started playing tricks. My bad, in starting the thread was thinking Friday would be a better option. The Monday option only leaves one viable choice of the 17th, the 10th is to early IMO.  Regarding the Friday option- there are two dates that work.

Just now, weathafella said:

Ok I voted Monday but will reconsider Friday’s.  I’m committed elsewhere on the 14th but if the 21st wins I’ll make the effort.

VOTE 21ST!!!

On 11/17/2018 at 8:49 AM, CoastalWx said:

On 11/17/2018 at 9:21 AM, ROOSTA said:

22 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I agree. I mean if this was going to be on a Monday I wouldn't be able to make it anyways. Would easily be 3 hours for me to get to Boston and by the time I would get there it would just be time to come back. I made it to the Monday one last year but traffic was a headache and I ended up paying $40 for parking. 

In addition to the holiday one I don't see why we can't just plan a spring/early summer one now on a Saturday and throw dates out. 

The holiday was/ and has been unique, but with regard to Scott noting the "normal gtg's, not in the city", those have been far and few over the past few years.  I am not even sure when the last non holiday gathering was.  It seems as though the Christmas gathering has been THE gtg for the past 3 years or so.  The spring / summer gtg's are mentioned in their own threads, but the interest just isn't there.  ...Too many other things going on, kid's soccer, lawn mowing, fishing and whatever else.  

Maybe the Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus gtg should be turned into a major gathering and brought back to Worcester and Funky's, or somewhere else deemed central to all weenie big & small, far & near. 

I'd really like to make one of these myself, but Boston is two hours one way for me, and on a weeknight that's just too much driving.  Worcester is only an hour...70 minutes at most for me, that would work for me.   

By all means...do what's best for the group.  I know a lot of Mass guys like the Boston idea and I certainly respect that.  But just thought I'd chime in a bit.