• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Admittedly, a very boring question

I live in NYC and when it concerns high wind situations, I find the Central Park observations most valuable because they are most relevant to my actual meteorological environment-- almost all other regional stations are located at airports which in most circumstances report both higher average wind speeds and, especially, higher gusts than both Central Park and my own personal encounters with the weather.  And twice in the past couple of weeks we've had some kind of high wind advisory for the region and when I clicked on the Central Park observations I saw-- initially to my distress and eventually to my annoyance-- the letters NA. 

So the CP anemometer has been offline for at least several weeks.  Thus the boring question I am nonetheless curious about is "How long has it actually been offline, in toto?"   And I will quickly pose two cousins: Why has it remained offline for even  two weeks, if not much more, given its importance?  and When, if ever, is it expected back in operation?  I would think that the length of the period of observations (about 150 years!) at CP and its predecessors-- at slightly different but nearby locations--  would make the full panoply of observations there-- including wind-- especially valuable.  After all, the CP station's founding antedates that of most airports' meteorological stations by about 80 years!

Would advise you to post that in the NYC regional forum, click on "home" at start of the navigation for this page and you'll get a menu of all forums available.

This general forum (a) is not that often visited and (b) especially not by people who might know the answers to your questions. 

Also, as it's your first post, welcome and you'll probably find it much more rewarding to hang out with the NYC crowd (a very active forum). 

A very hearty 'thank you' for the tip, Roger-- which I instantly acted upon!  Do I need to point out that, as a native New Yorker, I am unaccustomed to such civility!  My mind reels,  and my immediate instinct is to search for the ulterior motive-- but, by God, you don't seem to have one!  I guess it's just your inherent Candianness manifesting itself!