• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Climate Change Likely To Increase Frequencey Of Extreme Weather From Stuck Jet Stream Patterns

bluewave

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It was mentioned in the NYC subforum I saved the graphs somewhere so I'll look for them.  Basically, we had 42 days of 75+ dew points at JFK this year, and the previous record was 24 haha...... and prior to the 80s there weren't even any days of 20 or more 75+ dew point days.  The previous record of 24 was from 1983 and we almost doubled that to 42, I thought that was pretty amazing.

Chris (Bluewave) posted the graphs originally so I hope he can post them in here also.

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

billions of years ago the composition of the earth's atmosphere was completely different- it's like comparing earth to a different planet.

that is why i suggested no need for further discussion you are missing every point made, the POINT of my post was climate change has been a constant throughout history....i was in no way comparing todays climate details with those from billions of years ago ONLY that both had CHANGE as a constant

3 minutes ago, BillT said:

that is why i suggested no need for further discussion you are missing every point made, the POINT of my post was climate change has been a constant throughout history....i was in no way comparing todays climate details with those from billions of years ago ONLY that both had CHANGE as a constant

then I would question the point you are making, what does what happened billions of years ago have to do with today?  The changes have been happening on much shorter timescales now and are artificially induced, vs billions of years ago when they were not.  It's also important to note that, then as now, these changes induced mass extinction events (we are in middle of the sixth mass extinction event currently- half of the species currently on the planet will cease to exist by the end of the century.)

So if I'm reading this right the quasi resonant amplification events can be expected to increase at a relatively slow rate in a regime where aerosol emissions decline and are slowly depleted from the atmosphere. This creates an effect opposite of Arctic amplification because more solar radiation is able to penetrate in the mid latitudes (where aerosols have typically had the highest densities in the past) causing them to warm faster than the Arctic region. Once aerosols are fully depleted, however, we return back to the greenhouse gas dominated regime of Arctic amplification. It's the Arctic amplification that causes the polar jet to slow down thus allowing it to wander down lower in latitude while simultaneously getting "wavier". Note that the research cited doesn't say the QRA event recurrence intervals will stablize (in the short term anyway) because the warming is slowing down. What they are saying is that they expect the warming to be more homogeneous in the coming decades thus suppressing the growth rate of QRA event frequencies at least until aerosols have been fully depleted.