• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2018 Observations

yotaman

During the November 12-13 period, parts of the Southeast will likely pick up 1"-3" of rain. In the wake of the storm, 2018 will likely become among the 30 wettest years on record in a number of cities in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Wilmington, NC, which has already picked up a record 90.65" precipitation this year will add to its record.

Below is year-to-date precipitation, the current rank for 2018, and scenarios for the ranking based on 1"-3" rainfall.

Precipitation11112018.jpg

Records in the above cities begin as follows:

Athens: 1857
Atlanta: 1878
Elizabeth City: 1934
Fayetteville: 1910
Florence: 1948
Greensboro: 1903
Raleigh: 1887

7 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

During the November 12-13 period, parts of the Southeast will likely pick up 1"-3" of rain. In the wake of the storm, 2018 will likely become among the 30 wettest years on record in a number of cities in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Wilmington, NC, which has already picked up a record 90.65" precipitation this year will add to its record.

Below is year-to-date precipitation, the current rank for 2018, and scenarios for the ranking based on 1"-3" rainfall.

Precipitation11112018.jpg

Records in the above cities begin as follows:

Athens: 1857
Atlanta: 1878
Elizabeth City: 1934
Fayetteville: 1910
Florence: 1948
Greensboro: 1903
Raleigh: 1887

Thanks for this info. pretty impressive

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NicInNC said:

According to a friend in Yadkinville she had light flurries about 45 minutes ago. Radar still showing some over Wilkesboro.

Areas south of High Point near Concord did as well. First flakes outside of the mountains in those areas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NEGa said:

wow if only we get this set up this winter lol.  its pouring down rain and 37 this morning.  not too far from the magical 32 mark

I've said this to myself at least 3 or 4 times already too lol. Interesting the nam and to a lesser extent the canadian  shows a pocket of very dry air from 925mb to 975mb in the upstate (-20 to 30c) which should allow for some cooling in the favored core areas.....in other words don't be surprised if you see some freezing rain for a couple of hours thursday morning.  Indeed it does show subfreezing temps for a few hours in favored higher elevations  in ne ga. Even gets lower elevations down to here to 33 by 15z thur.  Fwiw, the gfs shows no such dry pocket. ..in which case it will just be a cold rain everywhere. Even If it exists, Given marginal temps and  the huge warm nose aloft  i wouldn't expect it to amount to much more than a trace but it's got to be looked at as being Pretty impressive to get freezing rain in nc at minimal and such strong damming  so early in the year. 

Already over an inch today with  models showing 5 to 6 inches here by the time we are through. 

With 0.79" rain as of 2:54 pm, Asheville had reached 64.00" precipitation for only the third time on record. Asheville has received 64.22" precipitation in 2018. The second highest figure is 64.91" from 1973.

Good stuff Don. Only 11 more inches and we would break our all time yearly record set back in 2013.

Hi all, long-time lurker and first time poster.

Just wanted to mark 11/12 as my first frozen precip obs of the year - just saw multiple unmistakable ice pellets bouncing off the road on my way home just now in addition to what appeared to be a couple of wet flakes mixing in with this nasty rain.

I look forward to continuing to study here while I pursue my met degree, and I can't thank you all enough for how much I've already learned here! This site is an absolutely stellar resource, and I'm excited to continue on as a contributing member!

• Like 2

As of 10 pm, numerous cities in the Southeast had picked up 2.00" or more rain. The following cities had set daily precipitaton records:

Athens, GA: 2.26" (old record: 1.58", 1992)
Charlotte: 1.65" (old record: 1.54", 2002)
Florence, SC: 1.34" (old record: 1.33", 2002)
Greensboro: 2.29" (old record: 1.76", 2009)

Storm total, year-to-date precipitation, and 2018's rank among the wettest years for select cities is below:

Rain1112201810pm.jpg

• Like 1