Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter

George BM

Just now, mappy said:

you should move north

Perhaps soon.  I've been saving money and doing my IRA and stuff for a while now... so I might.  Dunno where I would go though.

TBH, I don't have anyone on ignore.  I could never put you on ignore.  Only person who has ever come close is Ji from last winter

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

you should google it to find out.

ha lol

16 minutes ago, yoda said:

Perhaps soon.  I've been saving money and doing my IRA and stuff for a while now... so I might.  Dunno where I would go though.

TBH, I don't have anyone on ignore.  I could never put you on ignore.  Only person who has ever come close is Ji from last winter

damn right you would never put me on ignore. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, George BM said:

It was a great afternoon for a walk in shorts today.

I didn't have shorts on, but I did go and walk/hike 4 miles of Allegheny Trail on the WV/VA border from the Exit 1 Jerry's Run area and north. About an inch of snow and mid 20's with W winds at 10-20 mph....perfect day.

One week I'm gonna spend some time and hike as much as I can get. If memory serves right it goes up to the PA state line. I did the 77 miles of Greenbrier Trail couple years ago in sections up and back, so 154 miles in a week but that is old RR grade and basically flat.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

I didn't have shorts on, but I did go and walk/hike 4 miles of Allegheny Trail on the WV/VA border from the Exit 1 Jerry's Run area and north. About an inch of snow and mid 20's with W winds at 10-20 mph....perfect day.

One week I'm gonna spend some time and hike as much as I can get. If memory serves right it goes up to the PA state line. I did the 77 miles of Greenbrier Trail couple years ago in sections up and back, so 154 miles in a week but that is old RR grade and basically flat.

The trail is a great hike with beautiful views just east of Marlinton. It’s right around 3500-3800’ in that area and doesn’t get nearly as much snow as the next series of ridges immediately to its west in upslope situations. 

48 minutes ago, Inthepines said:

The trail is a great hike with beautiful views just east of Marlinton. It’s right around 3500-3800’ in that area and doesn’t get nearly as much snow as the next series of ridges immediately to its west in upslope situations. 

Thanks for that info! I wasn't that high today, the trail head is about 2400, I topped out just short of 3000. That was enough, 4 in and 4 back, since I didn't get started until 2 pm and dark hits about 5:30.

21 hours ago, RDM said:

...3 meters of snow in 2 days ... 

...True white out conditions in Austria... My friends and I were only 15-20 feet apart and we could not even begin to see each other and barely hear each other.  After several moments I didn't realize I'd developed white-out vertigo and was falling over until my head hit the ground... It was over in about 20 mins, but only after dumping well over 6"...

...Tons of snow,... ...It's surreal to drive through a narrow gully of snow 60 feet high...

18"+/hr snowfall rates?!! :ee:  Did you observe any thunder or lightning with the squall? 

Also I believe that I speak for most on this forum when I say that you need to do a snowdance for us stat!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George BM said:

18"+/hr snowfall rates?!! :ee:  Did you observe any thunder or lightning with the squall? 

Also I believe that I speak for most on this forum when I say that you need to do a snowdance for us stat!!

Yes re the thunder and lightening, but not a lot.  Just a couple of cracks and the lightning lit up the sky.  It was a surreal experience unlike any other I've had.  Been in some pretty intense snows and so called "white out" conditions.  Even the blizzard of 78 in Ohio was intense with the snow and wind, especially at night when it hit.  But the "white out" in 78 does not compare to what we experienced on the Hintertux Glacier.  We could not see the ground, nor our ski tips or each other.  Could talk at a scream due to being in close proximity to each other (the wind was intense), but I lost all reference as to what was up or down.  Really didn't sense I'd developed vertigo and was falling over until my body hit the slope.  A couple others in our group fell over too and the others in our group had already sat down to wait it out (prompted by the lightning).

Don't remember which of the recent winters it was, but there was one NE event that was quoting 6"/hr rates IVO of Hartford, CT.  Don't recall if it was forecast rates or actually observed by a trained spotter.  Would like to see that and how it compares...   Experienced some pretty intense rates in Japan at times, but no idea how they measured up.       

As for a snow dance, if would help I'd be glad to partake.  Heck, I don't put the snow plows on my Kubota (in the avatar) until the snow is on the ground out of fear doing ahead of time will jinx the forecast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I was there. It was amazing, but not quite that kind of white out even during the peak. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I think there were 6" hour rates by spotters in central CT, though with the wind it was hard to measure. 

The only storm "better" than the Great Blizzard of 2013 would be the October snow bomb of 2011. The level of devastation from that storm was on the level of a legitimate natural disaster. 

Feb2013blizzard_radar.gif

This is really cool to see how human consciousness effects. The heavy zones are "saturated in the clouds" shortly thereafter, I see the same thing in hurricanes. 

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I was there. It was amazing, but not quite that kind of white out even during the peak. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I think there were 6" hour rates by spotters in central CT, though with the wind it was hard to measure. 

The only storm "better" than the Great Blizzard of 2013 would be the October snow bomb of 2011. The level of devastation from that storm was on the level of a legitimate natural disaster. 

That could be the storm I was referring to re the 6" rates.  Those are some intense returns, especially the reds interlaced with magenta over CT and RI.  But the date stamp shows 13 - ouch...  how time flies, assuming that's the event.  I seem to recall there was one trained spotter that quoted even higher rates, on the order of 8"/hr.  Just don't recall the quote, but it was much heralded at the time in the NE forum and here too in the MA.  

I realize rates IVO 6" in 20 mins (18"/hr) is difficult to contemplate to some and don't take that concept lightly.  How much we actually got with all the wind was hard to measure, but we were buried in it.  I may actually have video of it someplace (seem to recall one other in our group and I recorded part of it).  Where video is at is another question and if I do, it's on S-VHS-C, which was pretty much state of the art back in the late 80's when this happened.  Have tons of video from that era I need to convert to DVD or thumb drive.  Some pretty spectacular ski runs in incredible scenery.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I road tripped up there with my wife and got snowed in during that storm in CT.  Amazing rates.  We got ourselves stuck on the highway and had to dig our car off the freeway to get to the hotel.  LOL

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I road tripped up there with my wife and got snowed in during that storm in CT.  Amazing rates.  We got ourselves stuck on the highway and had to dig our car off the freeway to get to the hotel.  LOL

is that the same storm where you figured out you were going to marry her? 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic