Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter

George BM

6 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Success, 2 hours later and we are out the door. So much for our plans though.

Sorry to hear about the malfunction and messed up plans.  Good to hear you were evenutally bailed out, albeit at the expense of your forfeited plans.  Sounds like it took way longer than it should have.  Wonder what sort of lock system they have on their doors?  The electronic key card activated systems are typically designed so they only engage the lock electronically for egress from outside the room.  The action to leave the room is supposed to be strictly mechanical because it has to perform the same feature as a panic bar on emergency exits.  Fire and building codes are the main drivers of course.  

No doubt as detailed as you are on analyizing our collective favorite pastime (WX) you've got some mechanical skills.  Did you happen to take any pictures?  Good thought on removing the hinge pins.  Sounds like that was a no-go too.  Some of them take a hex wrench to release the hinge pin.  Plus, some are spring loaded to close the door and can be tricky.  

Welcome back to the free world again.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

This is going to be an interesting conversation with others recalling this event.

You: You ever hear the story of how I got locked into my hotel room?

Them: Don’t you mean locked out of your hotel room?

You: .......No

Haha. Glad you are freed from the hotels grips Showme

Worse part about the whole thing is that I now have the Eagles 'Hotel California' playing nonstop in my head. And I kid you not, the hotel key card has the phrase, 'It's time to let me go' written in big bold letters on it. It feels like an episode of the Twilight Zone we are living through.

8 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

:lmao:...that's so crazy man...glad you 2 made it out alive lol. I was a religious viewer of MacGyver. Most of my go to ( moves  )..I mean tricks I stole from that show .

Nail clippers. Check. Nail file. Check. Tweezers. Check. Pen. Check. And yet I still could not break us out. Macgyver is very disappointed in me. 

7 hours ago, RDM said:

Sorry to hear about the malfunction and messed up plans.  Good to hear you were evenutally bailed out, albeit at the expense of your forfeited plans.  Sounds like it took way longer than it should have.  Wonder what sort of lock system they have on their doors?  The electronic key card activated systems are typically designed so they only engage the lock electronically for egress from outside the room.  The action to leave the room is supposed to be strictly mechanical because it has to perform the same feature as a panic bar on emergency exits.  Fire and building codes are the main drivers of course.  

No doubt as detailed as you are on analyizing our collective favorite pastime (WX) you've got some mechanical skills.  Did you happen to take any pictures?  Good thought on removing the hinge pins.  Sounds like that was a no-go too.  Some of them take a hex wrench to release the hinge pin.  Plus, some are spring loaded to close the door and can be tricky.  

Welcome back to the free world again.  

I believe something busted that was jamming the mechanism not allowing the latch to pull back in. Had just enough room to wedge tweezers, cards, nail clippers, etc... into the gap to try and force the latch and yet it seemed to be pretty much frozen. Even when I pulled the cover plates off to access the interior to try to pull the latch in it was frozen. As far as the hinge pins? Yeah, hex wrench needed to release the pins holding the hinge. Problem with that though was with the one hinge the release pin was recessed into the hinge so I could not get to it to pull it out. Didn't matter though because the other hinge I could not pop out anyway. Needed a hammer to pound it out when all i had was a small wrench he was able to get underneath the door. He eventually spent almost an hour using a drill and hand held grind stone to cut the whole thing out.

If anything, this whole episode has taught me to be more like Tim, 'The Tool Man Taylor' and take tools with me everywhere I go. And the more power, the better. :)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Shhh my money isn't on you

Appealing to the evidence and reasoning behind the processes has never worked.

It seems anecdotal hype and other insanity (storytelling) is the only way to reach people in the Trump clickbait era.

As well. I am aware of alarmism burnout. It is highly dangerous but like most things in life you have to break your back to get what you want. This internet keyboard warrior thing is a bit elementary.

5 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Appealing to the evidence and reasoning behind the processes has never worked.

It seems anecdotal hype and other insanity (storytelling) is the only way to reach people in the Trump clickbait era.

As well. I am aware of alarmism burnout. It is highly dangerous but like most things in life you have to break your back to get what you want. This internet keyboard warrior thing is a bit elementary.

Google translate result:

"Blah blah blah I'm a terrible poster blah blah"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

No I didn't. My go to places had quite a bit of it last year, so I figured I would grab a couple this week. Not a fan of Black Friday shopping for anything lol.

46 minutes ago, Scraff said:

I have not grabbed any. I spent all my money at Duclaw Retribution Day. ;) 

Plenty of the regular, for sure. Variants are a different story. I grabbed one bottle at the Whole Foods down here in Hinton Head. I also popped into World if Beer and had tasters of the regular and Midnight Orange. Buddy of mine grabbed a couple more bottles of regular and one of vanilla for me.

Gotta love all the Black Friday beer releases now. How was Retribution Day? Buddies also grabbed a bunch of the first-ever Aslin Black Friday stouts. Decentvteviews so far.

20 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Plenty of the regular, for sure. Variants are a different story. I grabbed one bottle at the Whole Foods down here in Hinton Head. I also popped into World if Beer and had tasters of the regular and Midnight Orange. Buddy of mine grabbed a couple more bottles of regular and one of vanilla for me.

Gotta love all the Black Friday beer releases now. How was Retribution Day? Buddies also grabbed a bunch of the first-ever Aslin Black Friday stouts. Decentvteviews so far.

The Caramel Cookie and Apple Brandy Barrel Retribution (2016) are silly good. If anyone ever wants to get together for a barrel aged beer tasting...raising hand here. 

31 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Not yet. My local store has a lot of the vanilla so I'll pick up a couple today.

The distribution of variants is so weird. Some locations get a ton of one but few of the other. I wonder if there’s a business plan behind that (driving interest through low stock of certain variants) while still making some widely available.

Vanilla is supposed to be incredible. Midnight orange wasn’t all that great, but then again I don’t really care for orange and chocolate as a combo (nor do I like Grand Marnier, which that reminded me of).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Scraff said:

The Caramel Cookie and Apple Brandy Barrel Retribution (2016) are silly good. If anyone ever wants to get together for a barrel aged beer tasting...raising hand here. 

Love apple brandy stouts. Love, love, love.

I’d be in for a tasting if I could swing the time, but the kids are killing me! :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

The distribution of variants is so weird. Some locations get a ton of one but few of the other. I wonder if there’s a business plan behind that (driving interest through low stock of certain variants) while still making some widely available.

Vanilla is supposed to be incredible. Midnight orange wasn’t all that great, but then again I don’t really care for orange and chocolate as a combo (nor do I like Grand Marnier, which that reminded me of).

This. It is just an awful combo. I don't get it at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Worse part about the whole thing is that I now have the Eagles 'Hotel California' playing nonstop in my head. And I kid you not, the hotel key card has the phrase, 'It's time to let me go' written in big bold letters on it. It feels like an episode of the Twilight Zone we are living through.

Nail clippers. Check. Nail file. Check. Tweezers. Check. Pen. Check. And yet I still could not break us out. Macgyver is very disappointed in me. 

I believe something busted that was jamming the mechanism not allowing the latch to pull back in. Had just enough room to wedge tweezers, cards, nail clippers, etc... into the gap to try and force the latch and yet it seemed to be pretty much frozen. Even when I pulled the cover plates off to access the interior to try to pull the latch in it was frozen. As far as the hinge pins? Yeah, hex wrench needed to release the pins holding the hinge. Problem with that though was with the one hinge the release pin was recessed into the hinge so I could not get to it to pull it out. Didn't matter though because the other hinge I could not pop out anyway. Needed a hammer to pound it out when all i had was a small wrench he was able to get underneath the door. He eventually spent almost an hour using a drill and hand held grind stone to cut the whole thing out.

If anything, this whole episode has taught me to be more like Tim, 'The Tool Man Taylor' and take tools with me everywhere I go. And the more power, the better. :)

Sounds like a great learning opportunity.  Hats off for the effort on your part.  Suspect the third recessed hinge pin may have been the spring loaded hinge that serves as a door closer (just a guess).  Too bad the environment was not conducive to a little Semtex, Flex-X, or even plain ole Det Cord.  Would have made quick work of those hinges and/or the latch (latch is an easier target).  

Was the door a std solid core wood door or a steel faced door?  A couple of holes and a sawsaw should have taken care of either.  Cut from the bottom up on the latch side to make a doggy door big enough to get everyone out, plus bags of course.  Only 2 cuts needed.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic