• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter

George BM

While at 7 eleven this morning was talking to a contract plow driver, he was pissed that VDOT didn’t call out the small guys to do the neighborhoods. He also said that VDOT has cut its winter budget significantly (thanks hurricanes Florence and Michael), that VDOT has cut their hourly rates and would be cutting back on calling them out this year....we are going to get clobbered!

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

By the way...how is the CBS?

Smooth waves of maple-vanilla and bourbon oak with a blackened coffee and cocoa core. Well balanced with a “I need this with my pancakes on a snowy morning finish”. One bottle is set aside for just such the occasion. B)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Anybody else disgusted with the invention of gas fireplaces. I have been sitting in front of this one for 14 years and today I realized it is a fake fire. Maybe the Macallan 12 is screwing with my brain. But I really miss the real wood fire smell. Anyways.....

Yep, we took out the gas fireplace last year at the house in McHenry and put in a wood burning stove.  Love it so much more.  The smell, look, and authenticity of it is way better.  Something about flipping a switch and POOF fire starts is not appealing to me.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Anybody else disgusted with the invention of gas fireplaces. I have been sitting in front of this one for 14 years and today I realized it is a fake fire. Maybe the Macallan 12 is screwing with my brain. But I really miss the real wood fire smell. Anyways.....

I’m with you. Though it’s truly nice flipping on my fireplace whenever. Lol. That said, if Yankee candle made a fireplace scented candle, I would buy them by the case during winter. I mean who doesn’t love the smell of burning wood!? Yes. I’m sure of it. A Beavis and Butt Head joke is imminent...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Scraff said:

I’m with you. Though it’s truly nice flipping on my fireplace whenever. Lol. That said, if Yankee candle made a fireplace scented candle, I would buy them by the case during winter. I mean who doesn’t love the smell of burning wood!? Yes. I’m sure of it. A Beavis and Butt Head joke is imminent...

I think you just saved me thousands of dollars!

https://www.amazon.com/Campfire-Candle-Scented-Natural-Fireplace/dp/B01G1BFJ2K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542336314&sr=8-3&keywords=wood+burning+smell+candle

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, notvirga! said:

Pictures coming out of NYC this evening are awful. They were completely unprepared for the snow. They're having their own commuteageddon. Judging by some of the photos, motorists may be stuck on the highway for hours.

Couldnt happen to a friendlier bunch of people......Just saying.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Definitely - my other big beef with gas fireplaces was that if we used ours a lot in our previous house, the gas bill would go up quite substantially. So then there were times we wouldn't use it or we'd limit it to brief periods because the cost was always lurking in the back of our mind. 

We have a wood fireplace in our current house and absolutely LOVE it. Yeah, you chop the wood, but if you want a fire it's the real thing and there's no worry about surprises in the bill at the end of the month.

However, gas beats no fireplace hands down -- and several times our gas fireplace was the only thing we had keeping us warm during ice storms and power outages....it ain't all bad! ;) 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic