Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter

George BM

lol i had no idea texas was getting snow before us
AGAIN

thanks cobalt

pretty normal honestly. Not Houston south but TX benefits from cold driving down the east spine of the rockies in the late fall with less moderation than areas further east. 

This is a bit early in the season for snow out here, especially some of the totals up in the Panhandle near Amarillo. A nice stripe of 8-10” actually fell to the west and northwest of Amarillo proper. We had flurries all day yesterday before sunset, but nothing stuck. Was frigid though. High plains do well with sustaining cold air advection with little moderation. Looks like some fun back home. First call would be Warning criteria snow along 81 with sleet mix ending. Closer to 95, start to see that warm layer a bit more evident, so some snow to start, but once the nose pokes in, expect a change to sleet and then even some rain along 95. Interesting setup west of fall line where the thermal environment may stubbornly hang on to frozen longer than what models are seeing, even potentially for duration of event. IP I think will be the main ptype for areas like Howard/Frederick/Northern MoCo/North and West Baltimore Co.

I have not looked at qpf or anything, so I don’t know specific totals. Just thermal environment and length of precip time. No matter the case, this quite the event incoming for the Mid Atlantic for November. I’ll be watching from the sidelines. Enjoy y’all!!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Is the Washington post page a pay site now ? Tried the link to CWG but asks for subscriber log in.

CWG has been a pay-site for a while now - sort of.  A visitor/non-subscriber gets X number of free views per month.  To view more than X you need to subscribe/logon or wait until the next month.  You can view the main CWG homepage all you want.  Can only view X number of articles.  Don't remember what the X number is...   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Totally agree. I really like sleet except when it happens unexpectedly during a snow event. Forecasted sleetstorms are great. Especially in deep winter when it's below freezing. Nothing has the staying power of glaciated sleetcover.  Feb 07 was the epitome of glaciation

I'm ready to set my bar for this event in my yard. I'll go with anything at or above 1" measurable as a huge success. Don't care if it's snow/sleet/grauple/mangled dendrites or anything in between. I want to measure 1"+ on my patio table and call this event a huge success. 

Will never forget the sleet fest Feb 07 - was on 13/14 Feb.  Had many inches of sleet in NVA and it shut down everything.  We were scheduled to depart IAD circa noon on the 14th to move to Thailand.  Not a vacation..., we moved there.  IAD was closed the 13th and the morning of the 14th, but was scheduled to open mid-morning.  So we checked out of the hotel that morning and crossed our fingers.  Had ordered a van taxi that night before for the 3 of us and our 9 big suitcases.  When the van arrived that morning at the Intercon there were a lot of other folks who thought it was their taxi (not much was moving, but our van was there and only an hour late).  I bellowed out the fact it was our taxi and the terms were non-negotiable - and the other would-be fares backed off.  

We got to IAD w/o much issue just as IAD opened one runway - just one.  Huddled around the overflowing United end of the terminal with hundreds of anxious travelers to hear the announcement that only one flight was still going - that being our flight to Tokyo to catch the connecting flight on to Bkk.  After the near riot subdued we were still 2 hours late departing IAD, but we departed.  Missed the connection at Narita and had to stay over night in a hotel nearby.  With 3 of us and 9 bags in a way too small Japanese hotel room we only got a couple hours sleep before it was time to get up to catch the alternative flight on to Bkk.  Arrived in Bkk to tropical humidity and mid 90s.  What a shock to your system...

It was my 5th assignment overseas, and 3rd with a family and one we'll never forget.  Sleet?  I'll continue to worship snow and only resort to sleet as an alternative under the most dire snow starved situations...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

No SRER, no HDRPS, it’s almost like we’ve matured.

Minus those FV3 maps.

Nah, we're being behaved for the sole reason that we have nothing to lose and everything to gain cuz it's mid November. If this storm was 2.5 week later this entire sub would be an epic disaster. Especially when guidance comes in a little warmer tonight. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, H2O said:

This storm will make or break a lot of people for this winter.  A Nov storm.

So few enjoy the actual event anymore its always the chase and the buildup. That pretty girl or handsome guy across the room playing hard to get is rarely as hot when you're having a morning conversation with the bathroom door open

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

So few enjoy the actual event anymore its always the chase and the buildup. That pretty girl or handsome guy across the room playing hard to get is rarely as hot when you're having a morning conversation with the bathroom door open

i dont know about you, but i find my husband to be the most sexiest when he drops a poop or two, while we are discussing what to make for dinner. 

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic