Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter

George BM

3 hours ago, midatlanticweather said:

Wow is it! Winterizing the lawnmower today. Maybe the hose bibs by next weekend! 

What exactly does winterizing a lawn mower entail? I’ve had mine for 7.5 years and have never done anything to prepare it for winter. I pull it out for the first mow in the spring, and the leftover gas doesn’t cause any issue with starting up.

35 minutes ago, mattie g said:

What exactly does winterizing a lawn mower entail? I’ve had mine for 7.5 years and have never done anything to prepare it for winter. I pull it out for the first mow in the spring, and the leftover gas doesn’t cause any issue with starting up.

I usually try to run it out of gas and then add Stabil to the gas can.  That's about all I do.

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

Probably should have been more specific. I have a Zero Turn mower. I get under the mowing deck and scrape off all the grass that may have stuck to it, sharpen the blades, change the oil, and then make sure I use Stabil gas stabilizer in the gas and run it for 10 minutes. I also power wash it (only time I get the whole thing wet). Then I pull the snow blower and generator out and start them. Pull the mower  deep into the garage and put the snow blower and generator in front of it. All done! I do the same for the Lawnmower. You can also drain all the gas, but I just put some Stabilizer in it and run it for a bit, clean the grass from underneath, sharpen the blade, and change the oil. That is winterizing!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah that's one way to do it. I just attack it incrementally. Basically continue to mow weekly until Dec, and use the blower for the house- roof, deck, plant beds etc, and the driveway.

Glad to see I am not the only one who cheats when it comes to mulching the leaves with the mower instead of raking them up. It's actually good for the lawn as well as it puts nitrates back into the lawn. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Glad to see I am not the only one who cheats when it comes to mulching the leaves with the mower instead of raking them up. It's actually good for the lawn as well as it puts nitrates back into the lawn. 

Ditto here. I still mow them towards the edges of the yard and into the woods, but a good bit gets finely mulched into the yard. Still end up raking a couple times to rid the yard of the 10 trillion acorns from the oaks.

• Like 1

My lawn is just shy of 4 acres and is tree-lined on 3 sides.  It also has several large trees scattered across it.  Three 50-75' high silver maples, three decorative cherries, a black cherry, two walnut and one chestnut trees, a couple of willow trees.

If I had to rake, I wouldn't stand a chance.  I chop up all of it that I can drive across with the lawn tractor.

Both my front and back yard are crowned and through years of practice I have it down to a science. Keep it mowed tightly during leaf drop and the bulk of my leaves easily blow out of my yard and into my neighbor's. This year has been exceptionally good with the cold weather stopping the grass from growing. Might be my easiest year ever for me and the most difficult for my neighbors. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Ditto here. I still mow them towards the edges of the yard and into the woods, but a good bit gets finely mulched into the yard. Still end up raking a couple times to rid the yard of the 10 trillion acorns from the oaks.

This is exactly what I do. My back yard is a rectangle- basically the septic drain field plus a bit more. Acres of woods surrounding. I Start mowing right down the middle, and work towards the edges. Then finish off with the leaf blower. I am about to to this for the second time today, then probably 3-4 more times until the bulk of the leaves are all down. Front 'yard' is easy- just a small clearing then solid woods down to the road.

57 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This is exactly what I do. My back yard is a rectangle- basically the septic drain field plus a bit more. Acres of woods surrounding. I Start mowing right down the middle, and work towards the edges. Then finish off with the leaf blower. I am about to to this for the second time today, then probably 3-4 more times until the bulk of the leaves are all down. Front 'yard' is easy- just a small clearing then solid woods down to the road.

Mine isn't quite that easy. As opposed to Chill, I am in a saddle with two roads above me. My property (3.5 acres) is pie shaped and HEAVILY wooded. I can push everything to the edges of the woods and then across what was to be another road on my left into a holler. I have cut two white oaks and 8 ash trees that were dead standing last two years for firewood, have 3 locust and probably another 3-4 ash to get down....and you can't tell where I cut except for the stumps. BTW, that is all that is dying up here, ash, locust and white oaks. Neighbors are same, I knew about the ash, but the white oaks and locust surprised me.

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Both my front and back yard are crowned and through years of practice I have it down to a science. Keep it mowed tightly during leaf drop and the bulk of my leaves easily blow out of my yard and into my neighbor's. This year has been exceptionally good with the cold weather stopping the grass from growing. Might be my easiest year ever for me and the most difficult for my neighbors. 

Gave mine its initial winter buzz cut today. I do it for two reason: the first is what you mentioned, then second is so there’s no grass poking through when we get the pathetic little snows in the winter. Just looks better and makes it feel like we got more than we did.

• Like 1

Not that it will make much difference, but just to change something- can Marty Mornhinweg please be fired now? The offense is putrid, and has zero rhythm. Running game is awful, not that he ever gives it much of a chance to succeed. He keeps running plays with Lamar that do absolutely nothing other than piss off Flacco. Its a bye week and the team is in freefall. Its time to make a move. Actually, why not make a bigger statement and fire Harbaugh? Its inevitable at this point anyway. 8-8 at best, which is a total fail.

12 minutes ago, RDM said:

Indeed - that 11-11-87 shellacking was memorable.  Had 13" in Lorton.  Posted the below earlier today in the digital snow thread.  Haven't figured out how to quote something here from another thread yet.  

Begin quote

That MAY be the storm you are thinking about, but we also got nailed on 11 Nov 1987 - Veterans Day.  I moved to NVA from Ohio in 85 and remember the Nov 87 storm well.  It snuck up on everyone and crippled DC.  Had an ULL that generated its own cold and a lot of fatties.  The rates were intense - and the bullseye was the proverbial "DC Snow Hole" with as much as 15".  I lived in Lorton at the time at Pohick and Rt-1 and we got about 13" there.  

Here's a couple of articles about it:

https://www.weatherbug.com/news/Washington-s-Veterans-Day-Storm-Remembered

https://dcstorms.com/2012/11/11/veterans-day-snowstorm-of-1987/

Just press the "+" button next to the "Quote" button. A box saying "Quote 1 post" will appear at the bottom right of your screen. Ignore it and go to the thread where you want to quote that/those person/people. The box will reappear in the bottom right of your screen. This time click the box and the person's post that you're quoting from another thread will appear in the comment box.

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Just press the "+" button next to the "Quote" button. A box saying "Quote 1 post" will appear at the bottom right of your screen. Ignore it and go to the thread where you want to quote that/those person/people. The box will reappear in the bottom right of your screen. This time click the box and the person's post that you're quoting from another thread will appear in the comment box.

Thanks much - appreciate it.  

Signed up for weatermodels. Com the other day just to see if I like it better than wxbell... Figured I'll risk the 20 bucks for one month and cancel if I didn't like it.

Maybe I am missing something but Jeesh... Seems more difficult to navigate than wxbell. Beautiful maps but can he design something easy to navigate. Tropical tidbits is as simple as it gets... Doesn't seem too difficult to achieve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Signed up for weatermodels. Com the other day just to see if I like it better than wxbell... Figured I'll risk the 20 bucks for one month and cancel if I didn't like it.

Maybe I am missing something but Jeesh... Seems more difficult to navigate than wxbell. Beautiful maps but can he design something easy to navigate. Tropical tidbits is as simple as it gets... Doesn't seem too difficult to achieve.

It’s a hot mess. Best thing to do is once you eventually find the maps you want favorite them so that they show up on your page.

Doesn’t help that the new stuff is hidden away in a separate place, either

lab.weathermodels.com
or
wx.graphics.com

It’s a hot mess. Best thing to do is once you eventually find the maps you want favorite them so that they show up on your page.

Doesn’t help that the new stuff is hidden away in a separate place, either

lab.weathermodels.com
or
wx.graphics.com
Got it thanks... I haven't tried the favorites yet. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for 30 days and try to get used to it..

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

No matter what your ideology everyone please vote tomorrow. We are blessed to live in a place where we have agency over our politics. Don't willingly give up that most fundamental right. Whatever your voice is make it be heard. 

I voted early at the Westminster senior center.  Love the early voting, much less hassle than on election day.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The board has come to life. I can't go away without coming back to see multiple threads with new posts. 

I love it. 

Everyone is posting yearly rain totals.  I want to say this will prepare us for the DJF drought but tempers might flare and the country is on edge right now so that might be a little incendiary.  Warm/wet, cold/dry

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic