Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discobs Thread

George BM

12 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Leaves are done here, winds last night took care of pulling rest off the trees. I'd say 95% are off and it is a 50-50 on placement between the ground and gutters.

I have quite a few red oaks, which hold their leaves longer, and some variety of maple(leaves turn yellow) that turn very late. Other than those, past peak here with leaves rapidly falling now. I will be outside all day tomorrow mowing/mulching/blowing, and will likely have to do it at least 2 more times.

45 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I have quite a few red oaks, which hold their leaves longer, and some variety of maple(leaves turn yellow) that turn very late. Other than those, past peak here with leaves rapidly falling now. I will be outside all day tomorrow mowing/mulching/blowing, and will likely have to do it at least 2 more times.

The few trees holding are the pin oaks, they stay on til almost spring lol.

First flurries of the season here in last hour! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

The few trees holding are the pin oaks, they stay on til almost spring lol.

First flurries of the season here in last hour! :)

Yeah I am aware of the pin oaks, but I have mostly red, black, and white oaks. Actually I think its the white oaks that hold their leaves, not the reds.

Many deciduous oak trees do not develop entire abscission layers in the leaf stems in the fall to cause their leaves to drop off. This phenomenon is called marescence. Shingle and white oaks tend to hold onto their dried, tan leaves across the winter. Harsh winter winds or heavy snow can tear leaves off, but usually it's not until early spring when all leaves fall away. The swelling buds on the branch twigs help complete the separation of leaves in spring.

https://www.hunker.com/13427981/when-do-oak-trees-lose-their-leaves

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic