Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

18 hours ago, weathafella said:

Lol.....AST means every kid is standing in the dark in the AM waiting for the bus.  Not gonna happen.  They tried DST in the winter during the mid 70s and for this reason it was a disaster.

I was in hs that year. And you are correct it was a disaster. Rainy days were the worst because it would stay at least somewhat dark well into the morning. Teachers took to pulling down all of the shades  in classrooms to brighten them.  I hope there is never a repeat of year long DST.

Sign of the season, I really like the look of the PV anomaly that swings across the Northeast late this week. Strong, pivoting to negatively tilted, all guidance coming around to the idea of a rapidly organizing low. 

Too late to do much across the area, but the NAM flirts with a flash to snow in the mountains.

34 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Sign of the season, I really like the look of the PV anomaly that swings across the Northeast late this week. Strong, pivoting to negatively tilted, all guidance coming around to the idea of a rapidly organizing low. 

Too late to do much across the area, but the NAM flirts with a flash to snow in the mountains.

I've been watching that.  Various model runs have tried to flash to a heavy wet snow in either the Greens or Whites as that deepens and tries to go negative in Maine.

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Hemlock has a hard time getting above 2,000' in NNE.

Fir has lots of issues, and I think bark beetles are secondary pests on fir, attacking trees already weakened by other factors.  That softwood stand in Mitch's yard looks crowded, with many trees probably with narrow crowns, thus slow growing and vulnerable.  ((Added note:  On white spruce, bark beetles can attack perfectly healthy trees, as is currently happening on the most NW-ly large tract that we manage.) 

Hemlock is sparse at my elevation, but it does exist. I have a single small one in my spruce/fir stand. There are many more below 2K. 

There are lots of narrow crown firs around, and my long term goal is to thin out my woods so I can get an understory and have healthier trees. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

* TIMING...Saturday afternoon through Saturday evening.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
  Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be
  difficult, especially for high profile vehicles

Will probably  be meh as usual! 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

* TIMING...Saturday afternoon through Saturday evening.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
  Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be
  difficult, especially for high profile vehicles

It’s funny because the watch in my area has the same winds but “scattered power outages”.   NWS understandings the CT power grid issues?

• Haha 1