Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November discussion

weathafella

39 minutes ago, weathafella said:

First days AOA.  Ensembles say cooling and maybe cold after mid month?

Conflicting signals mid-month....ensembles seem to be flip-flopping a bit.

I think best cold is in Siberia where we want it anyway this time of year, but we could see a bit of a see-saw pattern in the east. Don't think we're going Nov '02 though....even though that would be fun.

As far as November... Seems more like a "pattern" not committing one way or the other.  We may be in wait of hemispheric gradients to steepen up a bit more.  Eventually exposing where heat source and sinks are situated ...the resulting/leading to a coherent 'base-line' look.  I think what Will says resonates the best, the ensembles are 'flip-flopping,' as perhaps a reflection of models being guided more by noise than by said establishment.  

Hate to employ a cliche but unfortunately seems apropos ..things can change in a hurry when all that comes into focus... Some point of the several weeks and so on.

Until then... about where we should be for this time of year ..give or take.  I mean your dailies will never pin-point climate, but all things being equal we seem pretty normal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As far as November... Seems more like a "pattern" not committing one way or the other.  We may be in wait of hemispheric gradients to steepen up a bit more.  Eventually exposing where heat source and sinks are situated ...the resulting/leading to a coherent 'base-line' look.  I think what Will says resonates the best, the ensembles are 'flip-flopping,' as perhaps a reflection of models being guided more by noise than by said establishment.  

Hate to employ a cliche but unfortunately seems apropos ..things can change in a hurry when all that comes into focus... Some point of the several weeks and so on.

Until then... about where we should be for this time of year ..give or take.  I mean your dailies will never pin-point climate, but all things being equal we seem pretty normal.

It's anecdotal admittedly, but I've found we seem to get a lot of false signals in November on the ensembles and other model guidance. Then things seems to come together a lot more coherently by early December on what type of pattern we are dealing with. We'll see if we get a similar story line this month.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's anecdotal admittedly, but I've found we seem to get a lot of false signals in November on the ensembles and other model guidance. Then things seems to come together a lot more coherently by early December on what type of pattern we are dealing with. We'll see if we get a similar story line this month.

Mm... I think that has merit, though.

I more than less echoed that sentiment a month ago when the extended models ...particularly the GFS, began the seemingly perennial perfunctory winter start date by October 20th ...

In other word, I understand where you are coming from and tend to agree...   It's almost like a bigger, hemispheric "rushing a pattern" change in the models... almost at a seasonal thing.  interesting..

But yeah, it's more or less what I'm thinking... that a "real" pattern is yet to really formulate -

16 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm... I think that has merit, though.

I more than less echoed that sentiment a month ago when the extended models ...particularly the GFS, began the seemingly perennial perfunctory winter start date by October 20th ...

In other word, I understand where you are coming from and tend to agree...   It's almost like a bigger, hemispheric "rushing a pattern" change in the models... almost at a seasonal thing.  interesting..

But yeah, it's more or less what I'm thinking... that a "real" pattern is yet to really formulate -

Yea, its a tough time period for guidance with the wave length flux, etc..

17 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

You can call the next 10 days a seasonal transition but it's pretty much just a torch.

Gfs shows several days with +10 or better departures for most of the northeast and it's on par with the first half of October warmth. The difference is that it's much stormier. 

There’s like 3-4 days of AN. And none of them approach records. 

36 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I'd say before that....Late Spring was wet, and it hasn't abated much since...we just got very hot along with the Wetness from the start of July.

June featured a lot of coc. Early July was dry but hot. Then the flood gates opened. Regardless, we splitting hairs....it’s been a wet stretch. It will bounce to the other extreme eventually. Hopefully, next spring.

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

June featured a lot of coc. Early July was dry but hot. Then the flood gates opened. Regardless, we splitting hairs....it’s been a wet stretch. It will bounce to the other extreme eventually. Hopefully, next spring.

Will must have the 10 wettest summers memorized. 

I wonder how the following winters were?

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Will must have the 10 wettest summers memorized. 

I wonder how the following winters were?

I didn't actually have them all memorized but most of the top 10 are El Niño's, lol. Though Diane in 1955 bucks that trend to make it wettest summer on record. The following winters seem to have no real correlation to snow. 

Summer precip would be near the bottom of my list on variables to worry about.