Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November discussion

weathafella

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah...there was one they threw out the Euro when it was on its own and we got smoked in the end but who hasn't thrown out an outlier before lol.  

All I know is I want what the 6z Euro is throwing down.  It goes nuts with the cyclonic upslope on Wednesday behind the system.  Like 9-12 hours of moist NW flow.

IMG_1373.thumb.PNG.0ec0fb0b5a7e79c15567886a2dabb0ab.PNG

I generally would not toss it, but that's me.

7 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I'm just saying conditions were better than they typically are in late spring that's all.  But the end of hunting season makes sense. 

Out hunting yesterday and a woman is riding her brown horse with a white nose up the tote road that a bunch of hunters are on and one of them asked her shouldn't you have some orange on that horse and she tells them she's not hunting...............................:huh:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's hard to ever discount the Euro.

It has blown some short range events though this month on the cold side.

It did ok here. I think if you ignore the clown maps and look at the raw data..you can guess what to do when it's marginal. Like, I would not give Dendrite 10" of snow when 925 0C is over him.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

00z euro was a bit colder and much snowier here. NCEP models say no way. It'll probably cave again.

The NAM was interesting at 850 mb in its handling of the thermal layout. 

Initially there is warm bulge arcing up toward New York State, cutting SE over SNE... As the primary low slams into a hemispheric instructed stall over the southern lakes, the ensuing charts indicate pallid attempt at a secondary.  I don't necessarily argue the weakness or strength of the secondary, however, I am noticing that right around hour(s) 36+ the warm bulge abruptly erodes back, hmm... with holes also "punched" through it. That behavior in the kindergarten water color activity hour is indicative  what you know (...just pointing it out..), and in the past ...turned out sneaky portentous in hindsight. 

1 ... the fragile nature of the warm bulge. It's not deep. And above it, the growth region of the sounding across N PA and NYS to SNE/CNE is likely cold enough - height falls associated with secondary might be in question (underdone) by just that crucial amount. For operational Mets ... that's headache hour.

2 ... hygroscopic cooling in the 850 mb layer (saturation to wet bulb) is ending up right around 0C.  Therein is a problem with that entire evolution from ..really the backside of today thru 70 hours. This system today isn't helping like a system escaping traditionally would. It's got very little backside CAA going on... such that the critical sub 700 mb thickness intervals are tepid.  It makes the secondary interesting (for me), in that we've seen dynamics in the past do wonders N of NYC latitudes from roughly mid Novie's onward. Climate arguments aside (have to look at each situation uniquely), that 850 mb thermal modulation described above, ..that tells me that radar at the time will be "fuzzy" regardless of what it is doing in the obs. 

Here's the thing ... in years past I could always count on marginal columns in autumn and spring tend cooler when observing that erode back 850 mb thermal dynamic. That's how you get 'blue bombs,' particularly when impetus to warm above the boundary layer is terminating. The lift at mid levels then QPF into column left naked to the N.  At this time range, models (some more so than others...like he GGEM) always tended to cold rain, correcting toward isothermal blue like ... < 30 hours from the event. 

I don't know about present era modeling though, wrt to that specific study - if they are improved in accuracy for marginal looks that "could" modulate isothermal. 

The other aspect is that there is a sneaky Maritime rise in surface high pressure, as the isobars subtly bulge backward toward the WSW, N of Maine. That retrograde look is really the -NAO exertion overall. It may not supply 'cold' per se, but... it sort of backs us into wondering if the primary latitude is handled perfectly ... I've also seen primary's as recently as within the last five years of modeling ...correct S when there is -NAO-like train-wreck mechanics in eastern Canada.  Euro is notorious for that ... or used to be, probably a vestige of it's "too far SW" olden day bias it used to have. 

So, ... meh... if this thing ends up correcting (or not) and/or surprises blue ...wouldn't be shocked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It did ok here. I think if you ignore the clown maps and look at the raw data..you can guess what to do when it's marginal. Like, I would not give Dendrite 10" of snow when 925 0C is over him.

Unfortunately, SV does not have that upper air level so its hard to figure where some issues may be at times.

32 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, Your right, They ate some crow on an event, PF would know which one it was.

They tossed the euro in the march 7-8 last event which was well SE of the other guidance. They overforecasted the snow up there I remember by hugging the GFS and NAM. It was kind of bizarre as I recall all of us were wondering why they were totally tossing it. Not even really blending. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They tossed the euro in the march 7-8 last event which was well SE of the other guidance. They overforecasted the snow up there I remember by hugging the GFS and NAM. It was kind of bizarre as I recall all of us were wondering why they were totally tossing it. Not even really blending. 

Yeah, You really can never toss it, Maybe weigh it less of it in a blend but that's suicidal just giving it a total  heave ho.

Probably lose the pack up here except in the woods unless it is snowing Monday night.  Fog doing its dirty work overnight and this morn.  I don't mind the driveway melting out today if possible.  It's 1500 feet with a slope down and it is going freezing tonight.  Will not be an easy forecast obviously...might be one of those where CON is mostly rain, we are mixed here (exit 17 on 93) and then when you get to exit 9 and north on 89 (in NH), and up Rt 4 to Andover and Danbury, it is a heavy wet snow.  I've seen a few of those.  I bet Gene does well.