Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
November discussion

weathafella

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s not. It’s just not Deep winter cold. It’ll generally be BN, but not obscenely so . Dec 1-3 is when deep winter hits with big east coast storm and locked in cold 

Much different tenor this year than many years previous...something different in the air...I like

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s not. It’s just not Deep winter cold. It’ll generally be BN, but not obscenely so . Dec 1-3 is when deep winter hits with big east coast storm and locked in cold 

Yeah the ensembles are really the banging the 12/2 - 12/4 period for something substantial. Shades closed until then after the next couple days. 

If I could go back to the elevation of discussion for a minute  I had an interesting observation.  

It is raining at my house at 400' ,  mostly snow right up the road from me at 650" but the real snow line started at approximately 950" on the topo map I'm looking at.   More evidence that you need to hit that magic thousand foot line around here to have better chances of snow than rain.

That being said, it is pretty maddening that I am going to take the dogs for a walk and will be able to walk from my house and in 15 minutes be where it is snowing!  (650')   I need to move lol. 

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

If I could go back to the elevation of discussion for a minute  I had an interesting observation.  

It is raining at my house at 400' ,  mostly snow right up the road from me at 650" but the real snow line started at approximately 950" on the topo map I'm looking at.   More evidence that you need to hit that magic thousand foot line around here to have better chances of snow than rain.

That being said, it is pretty maddening that I am going to take the dogs for a walk and will be able to walk from my house and in 15 minutes be where it is snowing!  (650')   I need to move lol. 

Some nice spots on the west side of Wachusett that are like 1,300 ft for ya, you and MPM moving together

Anybody talking about locking in anything is just slinging nonsense.   We reshuffle, and we'll have to see how things shake out...no different than any other time.  Early December looks good...but so did this week(for a few shots at a lil snow) late last week....things change and little nuances can make or break any set up.   Be ware of anybody talking about definite storms 10 days away, and locking anything in.  

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Yeah, I've lived in NNE since I was 8 years old.  If we held on to this snow pack all the way through, it would be unprecedented in my memory.  I don't know what he is expecting.  Of course it could just be sarcasm.

We hold pack well in our CAD-kingdom locale, but in 20 years I've only had white ground November into April twice, 2002 when cover started with the 17-19 storm and 2014 with the pre-Thanksgiving 13" event on 26-27.  2013 was close, with cover starting Dec 1 (and ending on 4/21 - 142 days, tied with 14-15 for longest continuous.)  This year has a week's head start on 02-03, and unless we get a major snow-eater thaw, 18-19 may challenge that continuous cover mark.

38 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Anybody talking about locking in anything is just slinging nonsense.   We reshuffle, and we'll have to see how things shake out...no different than any other time.  Early December looks good...but so did this week(for a few shots at a lil snow) late last week....things change and little nuances can make or break any set up.   Be ware of anybody talking about definite storms 10 days away, and locking anything in.  

This year has behaved pretty uniquely vs recent and I would avoid automatic thinking that the pattern is clouded no pun intended.  It’s been clear for awhile that we’re relaxing and reloading.  December certainly looks promising to start.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This year has behaved pretty uniquely and I would avoid automatic thinking that the pattern is clouded no pun intended.  It’s been clear for awhile that we’re relaxing and reloading.  December certainly looks promising to start.

I can understand that Jerry,  but being overly confident about storms that are a week and a half out, and using words like" Locking in" is just foolish talk when it comes to the weather.  I would avoid using terms like that as well.   I agree that December looks promising...but nobody knows if we lock in to anything or not??

Pattern looks nice and active heading into December and there will be some blocking around...should have some chances. Airmass might be a bit stale initially, but should be cold enough for snow on decent storm tracks...esp interior. I do think we get better arctic cross polar once we get more into the first week of December...like beyond the 4th-5th.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pattern looks nice and active heading into December and there will be some blocking around...should have some chances. Airmass might be a bit stale initially, but should be cold enough for snow on decent storm tracks...esp interior. I do think we get better arctic cross polar once we get more into the first week of December...like beyond the 4th-5th.

Good December during this type of nino bodes well for winter as you’ve pointed out.

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Good December during this type of nino bodes well for winter as you’ve pointed out.

Yes, lets hope it actually pans out as a good December now, lol....there aren't any obvious red flags at the moment, but we know how fast things can change in this business.

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

which one?  I thought we might be dealing with 2 warmer storms before we get cold?  But I guess as blocking builds, storm tracks will improve for us.

The 2nd one may not be that warm....euro sort of morphs into a 3rd event that could be bigger. But either way, keep an eye on 11/27-28 timeframe. Might end up being totally nothing, but it's been showing up off and on as a threat on different guidance.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The 2nd one may not be that warm....euro sort of morphs into a 3rd event that could be bigger. But either way, keep an eye on 11/27-28 timeframe. Might end up being totally nothing, but it's been showing up off and on as a threat on different guidance.

Thanks.  Wanna hold onto the pack.  I mean I feel generally very optimistic with the blocking that is starting to set up, especially given that those regimes tends to both last and to repeat.  Hopefully no 2010 style disaster though.

30 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Thanks.  Wanna hold onto the pack.  I mean I feel generally very optimistic with the blocking that is starting to set up, especially given that those regimes tends to both last and to repeat.  Hopefully no 2010 style disaster though.

That’s always the first thing you worry about.  You are shook!