Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November discussion

weathafella

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I believe if you weren’t in a valley surrounded by ranges 2000’+ feet either side of you...500’ would certainly make much more of a difference 

JSpin's at a lower elevation and south of me and gets a bunch more snowfall, lol.  

I think it's the local climate here that makes it a different beast...you want to be closer to the Spine first, with elevation second. I'd rather live at 800ft right on the Spine than 1,500ft 10 miles further east.  You just get more precipitation.

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I believe if you weren’t in a valley surrounded by ranges 2000’+ feet either side of you...500’ would certainly make much more of a difference 

Zero marine influence, believe me 100 ft makes a big difference down here 250 up the hill probably averages 10" plus more than me.  I have documented it here extensively over the years. Some is temp, some is lower parts of hills get shadowed on NE winds here. I would live up in Sterling a half mile from me in a heartbeat at my weenie ridge. Plus the views and sunsets are much better. 

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

See, this is the whacked out stuff I'm alluding to.  Never was elevation part of the discussion looking for a place to live.  I'd prefer it be less hilly to make driving easier.

It was for me but not for more snow.  I grew up in a narrow valley with steep sides. For a good portion of the year I would go to school in the dark and the sun would set behind the hill by 2:00 in winter.  I decided early on that I wanted to be a hill person rather than a valley person.  More sun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Zero marine influence, believe me 100 ft makes a big difference down here 250 up the hill probably averages 10" plus more than me.  I have documented it here extensively over the years. Some is temp, some is lower parts if hills get shadowed on NE winds here. I would live up in Sterling a half mile from me in a heartbeat at my weenie ridge. Plus the views and sunsets are much better. 

Yeah makes sense why every foot matters.  The big pond sending low level taint air inland... gotta get above it.

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol I almost chimed in earlier.  

Discussing 100ft gradients is on another level.  Heck the house across the street is like 100ft higher than mine at 750ft vs 850ft.  But here anything under 1,200ft is the valley.  

I keep trying to think about how much different the winter weather is on the scales discussed in the Methuen convo, and it must be that much more acute near the ocean.  I honestly don't think my neighbor 100ft higher and 100 yards away on Birch Hill Rd gets any more snowfall than my house.

Generally need to see at least 500ft of elevation difference to really see a visible change.

agreed, 100 vs 300 is meaningless.

6 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

agreed, 100 vs 300 is meaningless.

That's not true everywhere though.  I honestly defer to the experts in SNE and if Ginxy and 40/70 say it matters there...then it matters there.  Low level marine layers can be incredibly shallow too.

Again what sense does it make that the guy at 500ft gets more snow in NNE than the guys at 800ft or 1200ft.  Not everything needs to make sense initially but dig into it there's a reason.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's not true everywhere though.  I honestly defer to the experts in SNE and if Ginxy and 40/70 say it matters there...then it matters there.  Low level marine layers can be incredibly shallow too.

Again what sense does it make that the guy at 500ft gets more snow in NNE than the guys at 800ft or 1200ft.  Not everything needs to make sense initially but dig into it there's a reason.

I got in a big argument with HM back when he was a punk kid lol. He said 250 ft more elevation couldn't possibly be any influence.  Argument ended a week later with time stamped pics of a 4 inch wet snow difference. I still have the pics

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I got in a big argument with HM back when he was a punk kid lol. He said 250 ft more elevation couldn't possibly be any influence.  Argument ended a week later with time stamped pics of a 4 inch wet snow difference. I still have the pics

Conceptually it makes sense.  Like 250ft difference out near Hippy probably isn't the same as 250ft along the coastal plain region.  I know you guys have numerous examples of things like 300ft in Foxboro doing markedly better than surrounding nearby areas in SE MA.

47 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

March 2013 had a gradient like that here... maybe over the course of like 400', but still.

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Look at Dec 92 nor Easter . 250’ made all the difference from PVD to Diamond hill base

40 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

He's been heading down this road for a little while...he's been giving us hints...it was just a warm-up for winter.  He's gonna be going toe to toe with Zeus.

The following is non fiction

im working in Burlington ma area tonite and a lady friend in Billerica told me I have “steak sweet potato and sex “ waiting for me tonite .

I told her the “lift is marginal and the BL might be cooked there. I’m gonna weenie out in Nashua “

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

im working in Burlington ma area tonite and a lady friend in Billerica told me I have “steak sweet potato and sex “ waiting for me tonite .

I told her the lift is marginal and the BL might be cooked there. 

Lol. All she left him was her bone... ya never know

27 minutes ago, DomNH said:

NAM  ticked cooler. Pickles will be happy to know that the 850mb fronto still looks good at the MA/NH border...maybe even a hair stronger this run. 

Would you take over or under for 5" in the Mason/Greenville area.  My roughly 500' ASL can help sometimes.

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I told her the “lift is marginal and the BL might be cooked there. I’m gonna weenie out in Nashua “

You can always get laid, but you can't make snow events happen.  

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Just became lady, friend? 

2 minutes ago, masonwoods said:

Would you take over or under for 5" in the Mason/Greenville area.  My roughly 500' ASL can help sometimes.

Tough call because around 5'' sounds about right there I think. I'd probably hedge on the under...like 3-5'' but wouldn't be shocked if your area pulled out a 6 spot.