Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Pretty poor job there. Luckily it’s a tiny event that didn’t affect nyc weenies so no one will notice.

It's scary how the weather knows where the Pike is sometimes. I mean even one foot south and it's nada. It doesn't matter if you're at 200' or 990'. Just rain on snow.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

What concerns me is the Euro changing so much within 24ish hours of the event.   If this was 2-3 days out I would cut it more slack

I don't know if I'd call it a huge change. It was just a large change in sensible wx for a lot of MA so it probably seems larger than it was. We're talking maybe 30 miles and 1C. But it is definitely a bit surprising that it got basically owned on that front. It trended more toward the mesos than the other way around. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't know if I'd call it a huge change. It was just a large change in sensible wx for a lot of MA so it probably seems larger than it was. We're talking maybe 30 miles and 1C. But it is definitely a bit surprising that it got basically owned on that front. It trended more toward the mesos than the other way around. 

And it could reverse itself (which might even be worse...lol) and the others cave to it, but I doubt that happens.  Still, it is November and this is just gravy.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Mesos have been doing well so far and in recent winters. Yea they have their fair share of hiccups but they should be taken seriously and factored into a forecast some more. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Mesos have been doing well so far and in recent winters. Yea they have their fair share of hiccups but they should be taken seriously and factored into a forecast some more. 

I'm still wary of them when you get beyond d2-3 as I'll side with the globals over the mesos if there's a noticeable synoptic difference. But if we're talking a close range difference in thermals, a front, or a specific mesoscale feature (CAD, deformation, coastal front, etc) I give them more weight.

The euro has enough resolution vertically and horizontally to almost be considered a meso, but when it's alone on an island it'll usually make a larger than normal cave (ie Boxing Day 2010).

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

And it could reverse itself (which might even be worse...lol) and the others cave to it, but I doubt that happens.  Still, it is November and this is just gravy.

Even if it reverses only slightly, that will make a big difference for places like ORH and over to Ray in Methuen. Your 'hood is a tough call. I could honestly see you getting 4-6" or almost nothing. It's that close. 

34 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's scary how the weather knows where the Pike is sometimes. I mean even one foot south and it's nada. It doesn't matter if you're at 200' or 990'. Just rain on snow.

14 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

It also knows where 495 is, they used to always say, snow north of the pike and west of 495.

It's actually based on why they laid the roads where they did.  They were laid--from Indian trails to highways--along the easiest path with respect to geography/topography.  It's that same geography that tends to serve as demarkation points for things like rain/snow lines.  

In short, highways often make for accurate separation points with weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Keeping expectations very low for this one. I could definitely see this going either way but wouldn’t be shocked to get almost nothing. Hubb definitely has the best chance of cashing in around here.

33F white rain is what I expect after a slushy 1 inch or so.  Climo, meh airmass...   Hopefully a pattern like this continues.

2m temps on most models are in the u10s here by 6z Thu. Maybe teens for highs up here? 2m temps remain in the 10s all day and MEX at CON is only 21°. The first 10s on record at CON is a 15° on 11/27/1873 in a November of yore. GFS hs -24C 850s up here late morning Thanksgiving...just unreal for this time of year.

Where is Ginxy with my 850mb temp records by day/month?

3 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Yeah, pretty much. It’s all a bonus IMO at this point anyways. Assuming we have a somewhat normal winter in the cards. I’m actually hoping it clears at some point so I can finish the yard before we go into deep winter.

I hear ya.   Would also prefer a drama free commute tomorrow... students have a 1/2 day so we can do parent/teacher conferences,   My most favorite days of the year

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

2m temps on most models are in the u10s here by 6z Thu. Maybe teens for highs up here? 2m temps remain in the 10s all day and MEX at CON is only 21°. The first 10s on record at CON is a 15° on 11/27/1873 in a November of yore. GFS hs -24C 850s up here late morning Thanksgiving...just unreal for this time of year.

Where is Ginxy with my 850mb temp records by day/month?

ORH has a shot at the all time record low max for November. The current record is 20F on 11/30/58. It would be pretty amazing to break that record on 11/22. 

It will all depend how quick it cools Wednesday evening. I think they will stay below 20F in daytime on Tday. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH has a shot at the all time record low max for November. The current record is 20F on 11/30/58. It would be pretty amazing to break that record on 11/22. 

It will all depend how quick it cools Wednesday evening. I think they will stay below 20F in daytime on Tday. 

The BOX point n click graph has KORH at around 18F at midnight and cooling off.

That's hard to do in December, never mind November

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I never realized how much elevation variance there is in Methuen....just to my east by the river it goes down to like 40'...then a few miles ssw of me it gets up to 335'. I'm at 154'.

Much different from the uniform swamp of Wilmington, and should be interesting this winter.

• Like 2