Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

4 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Might be a snowy December. First time in a long time.

Depends where... 

For interior and even some coastal zones up here in SNE we've had snowy Decs over the last 10 years.  But perhaps if we are not getting them every year, that qualifies?

22 hours ago, MJOatleast7 said:

I wonder if it's different here in SNE. BOS also has better correlation between BN temps in November than BN in October with a good winter. But ideally, it's best to have both BN around here.

This year, however, the warm water off the south SNE coast might put pressure on that, bringing the baroclinicity farther north than would otherwise be the case. Certainly enough to get us in the game and hopefully you too.

Went thru the Farmington data, which for the Oct-Nov BN vs AN effort was limited to months at least 2° off the norms.  Using the same set of years, which cover 46 of 125 years for AN and 53 for BN (thus together they hit nearly 80% of the records period), I found only 6 double AN years and 9 double BN.  The AN pairs averaged 89.7" and the BN 90.3".  The co-op's long term average is 89.8", so no signal for that location.  BN had a greater range, looking at ordinals:  1992-93 ranks 10th snowiest, 1980-81 is dead last.  For the AN sets:  1938-39 is 19th while 2011-12 is 97th.

Ironically - the delivery of a new tractor to do snow removal, may get snowed out on Friday AM.  

Now out in the NW Hills of CT with a 1,500 ft driveway with a pretty significant uphill section.  Hope the new elevation of 1,000 delivers the goods much better than the old homestead in Ellington on the eastern edge of death valley.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Ironically - the delivery of a new tractor to do snow removal, may get snowed out on Friday AM.  

Now out in the NW Hills of CT with a 1,500 ft driveway with a pretty significant uphill section.  Hope the new elevation of 1,000 delivers the goods much better than the old homestead in Ellington on the eastern edge of death valley.

What kind of tractor? Congrats on new location. Must be nice to just pick up and move to a weenie spot.

46 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Congrats on Norfolk , CT. Enjoy my friend 

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What kind of tractor? Congrats on new location. Must be nice to just pick up and move to a weenie spot.

Thanks!

It's a cabbed (heat and AC) John Deere 3046 with a 59 inch snowblower.  I grew up in Norfolk, so this is getting back to the old stopping grounds - not quite as good as Norfolk.  

I'm quite excited for this winter!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tamarack said:

Might've been me, as I parsed the local long-tern co-op and found that BN temps on Oct were followed, on average, by BN snow.  BN temps in Nov led to AN snowfall.  However, neither trend was huge - the snowfall variation was mainly between 90-110% of average.  This Oct was 3°+ below average and Nov looks to finish BN as well, which would be just the 3rd time in 21 years for that double play.  O-N 2002 were each solidly BN and we had a long, cold, but not very snowy winter.  O-N 2008 were both BN, but Nov by less than 1°, and that winter had the rare (for my sheltered locale) true blizzard in Dec plus the 24.5" dump in late Feb.  I'll have to check Farmington for years with BN temps for both months. 

thanks for the post Tam. good info here. 

44 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It looks like we still may moderate and relax a bit after thanksgiving. The pattern sort of reshuffles and as Jerry said, December may start good. This is a good pattern for the interior at least. Maybe coast too if airmass is good.

When is the last winter that went November to March with constant threats? 

3 hours ago, Modfan said:

When is the last winter that went November to March with constant threats? 

Arguably 2002-03.  2004-05 had a hiatus for about 10 days in January but was close with a solid event around 11/12.  1995-96 had a few breaks with big warmth but it did go November to April.

28 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Arguably 2002-03.  2004-05 had a hiatus for about 10 days in January but was close with a solid event around 11/12.  1995-96 had a few breaks with big warmth but it did go November to April.

That description for that particular year is like ... "... that Pats season in 2007... won a few games..."

Based upon the American cluster there's an impressively large signal out there nestled somewhere in the last seven days of the month.  Not clear if it comes in a pattern verification, or ...that plus specific large event(s) and obviously..there's no way for that confidence..However, that is a rich fertility in there and for cold and stormy times.  

This is/was hinted but it's increased in coherency significantly as of recent indexing ... convergence is indicated -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

02-03 started early, but after an early Dec storm (maybe the 5th?), there was a bit of a thaw leading up to the xmas day storm. your point stands though.