Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November discussion

weathafella

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nov 1986 had two events....there was also a snow to IP/ZR event for the interior on Thanksgiving Day 1985. There was the big Nov 1980 snow event as well. The 1980s were very good for November snows but they were pretty terrible for other months overall.

Thanksgiving 89 had snow

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nino’s cause a great deal of anxiety from the wire to wire needy crowd. 

Anyone in New England expecting wire-to-wire should get a job at Paradise on Rainier, where the average year sees over 50 feet of snow and only one season (14-15) came in with less than 400".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Do you know the date of the snow event in 1980? 

18th.  12" at the Farmington co-op, only 2" at Ft. Kent even though it snowed all day.  Sat in the woods west of Allagash Village for almost 2 hours that morning, then walked out and found that 3 deer had walked so close to my parked pickup that, had I waited there I could've bayonetted one.

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Japanese Alps are in the running for snowiest place on Earth.  One long LES as Siberian cold crosses the Sea of Japan then gets wrung out orographically.  (Plus synoptic storms full of west Pac water.)

The Japanese ski resorts are the holy grail of powder skiing.  They get lots of fake fluffy snow...over your shoulders stuff.

1 hour ago, MJOatleast7 said:

From the Aomori Snow Corridor (when it opens in April):

images.jpg.3bbafcdf990b38d82d692554e39b3e30.jpg

Is that Kevin's driveway in his dreams?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The Japanese ski resorts are the holy grail of powder skiing.  They get lots of fake fluffy snow...over your shoulders stuff.

There's a lot of "fake" weather around the world it seems...:)

1 hour ago, MJOatleast7 said:

From the Aomori Snow Corridor (when it opens in April):

images.jpg.3bbafcdf990b38d82d692554e39b3e30.jpg

IIRC, Rainier/Paradise's tallest pack was something like 376".  Assuming that bus is 11-12' high, the wall in the pic must be in the 500" range.  (Of course, some of that may be stuff thrown up as the road was cleared, but still...)  And I'm surprised that it opens as early as April.  When my brother and family, then stationed in Germany, tried to access one of Norway's fjord towns (Flam or Geiranger) from inland one June about 30 years ago, they were unsuccessful because the roads at 3000-4000' elevation had not yet been cleared.

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

IIRC, Rainier/Paradise's tallest pack was something like 376".  Assuming that bus is 11-12' high, the wall in the pic must be in the 500" range.  (Of course, some of that may be stuff thrown up as the road was cleared, but still...)  And I'm surprised that it opens as early as April.  When my brother and family, then stationed in Germany, tried to access one of Norway's fjord towns (Flam or Geiranger) from inland one June about 30 years ago, they were unsuccessful because the roads at 3000-4000' elevation had not yet been cleared.

I don't know with what equipment you could even clear a 13-meter high snowpack. I think they used to use rotary plows in the Sierras (before tunnels and other road coverings that is) or Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier NP. Are there machines that tall?

Just now, MJOatleast7 said:

I don't know with what equipment you could even clear a 13-meter high snowpack. I think they used to use rotary plows in the Sierras (before tunnels and other road coverings that is) or Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier NP. Are there machines that tall?

They still use them but rarely......they're like the last thing they pull out when the pack is really deep.....this was last year

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 2:59 PM, ice1972 said:

They still use them but rarely......they're like the last thing they pull out when the pack is really deep.....this was last year

Yeah, rotaries are the last resort, the flangers and spreaders do the lion share of work up there.  That's the rebuilt rotary as you may already know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Light snow has started falling here at 3,600ft.  Beautiful flake size.  Mid-winter stuff.  

Fun watching the wall of white approach the mountain from the south.

I’m at camp at 1500’ in elevation about 10 mile NE of Moreisville with a view of Mansfield and looked up just as I read this and noticed it behind the fuzzy snow shield. 

Edit: Elmore Mt. was just enveloped. 

46 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’m at camp at 1500’ in elevation about 10 mile NE of Moreisville with a view of Mansfield and looked up just as I read this and noticed it behind the fuzzy snow shield. 

Edit: Elmore Mt. was just enveloped. 

It's under 1sm snow now... steady and accumulating instantly.

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nov 1986 had two events....there was also a snow to IP/ZR event for the interior on Thanksgiving Day 1985. There was the big Nov 1980 snow event as well. The 1980s were very good for November snows but they were pretty terrible for other months overall.

Nov 1980 event around my birth day

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

18th.  12" at the Farmington co-op, only 2" at Ft. Kent even though it snowed all day.  Sat in the woods west of Allagash Village for almost 2 hours that morning, then walked out and found that 3 deer had walked so close to my parked pickup that, had I waited there I could've bayonetted one.

Yea, I was on the 16th, and my mother always talks about dodging snowbanks brining me home.

1/2" of paste so far at home and coming down steadily.  The type of wet snow that falls at 32.5F and is sliding off the car windows as it accumulates.  Looks awesome outside with the big aggregates pounding down.  

Cant wait till more of the forum can get this.  Truly puts a little hop in your step to see everything white outside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

1/2" of paste so far at home and coming down steadily.  The type of wet snow that falls at 32.5F and is sliding off the car windows as it accumulates.  Looks awesome outside with the big aggregates pounding down.  

Cant wait till more of the forum can get this.  Truly puts a little hop in your step to see everything white outside.

So you’re skipping?