Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November discussion

weathafella

Just now, #NoPoles said:

DST ends this weekend, dont forget the clocks fall back an hour, and then SADD kicks everyone in the balls

Finally!  Lighter mornings.  Earlier bedtime with model data in an hour earlier. My SADD lasts Labor Day to Halloween and then I’m ok.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

DST ends this weekend, dont forget the clocks fall back an hour, and then SADD kicks everyone in the balls

Ugh...I hate falling back. The hour of sleep gained for one day is not worth the steep price of it getting dark before 5 pm.

I'm not a morning person and the early darkness makes it pretty much impossible to get outdoor work done in the late afternoon. We should stay on DST year round. Sunrises after 8 am won't bother me if we can have light until nearly 6.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Ugh...I hate falling back. The hour of sleep gained for one day is not worth the steep price of it getting dark before 5 pm.

I'm not a morning person and the early darkness makes it pretty much impossible to get outdoor work done in the late afternoon. We should stay on DST year round. Sunrises after 8 am won't bother me if we can have light until nearly 6.

This!!!!

7 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

What outdoor work would you be doing in the middle of a deep winter, besides shoveling?

8 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

You like fog and misery all summer. This should be like Christmas for you.

8 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

The way I've been waking up in the wee hours of the night the last couple of weeks, this could be a sucky night for me!

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Very brief mixed precip this morning and now we get ready for 2-3" of rain over the next 72 hours.

After a dry (63% of avg) Sept and 1/2 avg for Oct thru the 22nd, we've had nearly 3" in the past week and Oct is at 90%.  With GYX also talking 2-3" by Sat evening, the swamps (as always) will get filled.

IMO, the DST/no DST discussion tends to pit the eastern part of the time zone against the western part - the east loses any after-work daylight, while the west has schoolkids waiting for the bus in pitch darkness due to 8 AM (or later) sunrise.

That's some huge Scandinavian ridging on the EPS in the medium/long range (D7 and beyond)....that could be a good sign for late this month or even early December. Years that had huge ridging there in November were years like 1959, 1968, 1997, 2009, 2002, 2003, 2000, 1993, and 2014.

Obviously there's some caution to be taken from that...2014 never produced a big December, but it did have the very cold period late month with the pre-Thanksgiving snowstorm and 1997 was nothing special (though early to mid November was quite cold). But there's certainly a plethora of years on there with good early season activity including some El Ninos. So we'll have to see how the month progression goes....if the ridging materializes (and it looks likely), then there's a good chance we may see a good wintry period either late month or in the first couple weeks of December. The literature is pretty strong on the scandinavian ridging poking holes in the +AO firewall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's some huge Scandinavian ridging on the EPS in the medium/long range (D7 and beyond)....that could be a good sign for late this month or even early December. Years that had huge ridging there in November were years like 1959, 1968, 1997, 2009, 2002, 2003, 2000, 1993, and 2014.

Obviously there's some caution to be taken from that...2014 never produced a big December, but it did have the very cold period late month with the pre-Thanksgiving snowstorm and 1997 was nothing special (though early to mid November was quite cold). But there's certainly a plethora of years on there with good early season activity including some El Ninos. So we'll have to see how the month progression goes....if the ridging materializes (and it looks likely), then there's a good chance we may see a good wintry period either late month or in the first couple weeks of December. The literature is pretty strong on the scandinavian ridging poking holes in the +AO firewall.

Interesting that autumn of 1995 didn't make that list ... heh, maybe because it was soft Nina that year? 

I've never looked into myself but ... I've often mused about that syrupy late November thru December we had that autumn into early winter. I recall, somewhere between mid month and January one evening, sloggin' it downtown in Boston ... mesmerized by just how haltingly cold felt to even breathe. A friend and I had just parked ... probably, illegally, but the city sidewalks and thoroughfares were all too inundated for anyone to identify zones ..much less care to do much about it. Plus, it was about 8 o'clock. No parking ban - just clear and bone cold as we climbed over a semi-soft snowbank seeking a narrowed sidewalk, where the snow squeaked under foot - the kind where every step slid backward slightly as though to keep you exposed to the chill just that little bit longer en route to destination.  The neon sign just down the way switches, "Temperature 9 F"  ... I remember that, clearly, coherently, vividly.  9  ... 

In 1995, that autumn collapsed with no uncertainty ... I'd say approaching Thanks Giggedy if memory serves. Really, is to this day the ultimate front loaded winter.  Perhaps 2003...  But, we had snow on the ground in the western suburbs of Boston out there between 128 and 495 prior to the holiday and didn't see the ground again until the equally impressive thaw of late January - to this day... oh what might have been if that thaw never transpired.  But long before that interruption, "I'm  deamin' of a too much whiiiite, for Christmas"

Anyway, I'm not sure if that stretch took any trophies home for minimum anything ... but it sure was damn cold, at times shockingly so - if I had to be honest, I was still just 10 years a new SNE resident up to that time, whereby the steady diet of mundane unimpressive winters since '85 really didn't have a lot of 'early cold' in the best of times.  So, when late autumn 1995 wrought cryo-glory it was destined to be indelible in memory. 

But ...why? Why was it so damn cold so early, so unrelenting.   

Looking back at teleconnector records...there's nothing in the numerology and/or distribution between the respective indices that really pin-points much.  I just remember the "MRF" day 6 thru 10 range at Unisys (mind us, this was a bit before ubiquitous internet weather charts that many are so privileged, if perhaps shouldn't be exposed to heh..) always showing a huge sloped flow from Alaska to the TV... then up along the EC, with these like ...ensemble line perturbation just perfectly placed in space and time, non-interfering.     

Damn... I wonder if we'll ever see that again before GW finally gobbles up our latitude for good.