• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

Temp made it to 51 today with plenty of sun, and light winds.  Was a great day to finish some late season yard work, although since I worked all day I wasn't able to do any of that lol.  A lot of folks around town were out putting up their xmas lights.  If it weren't for modern technology you'd have no inkling that a major blizzard was on the way, and possibly a foot plus of snow.  

• Like 2

November 2018 has cracked the top 10 snowiest for Chicago. Of note, all but one of these seasons went on to produce a snowfall total that was above average (2015-16 did not, as that was a strong/super Nino). Edited to update through 6:00 am today.

1) 14.8" in 1940 (season total of 52.5")

2) 14.5" in 1895 (53.6")

3) 14.3" in 1951 (66.4")

4) 11.2" in 2015 (31.2")

5) 11.0" in 2018 thru 6:00 am 11/26

6) 10.8" in 1975 (43.3")

7) 7.6" in 1953 (43.2")

8) 7.5" in 1893 (44.4")

9) 7.1" in 1978 (89.7")

10) 7.0" in 1950 (54.4")

Also since 2008, this November joins these months, in their respective monthly snowfall top 10 lists: Nov 2015, Nov 2018, Dec 2008, Dec 2009, Jan 2009, Jan 2014, Feb 2008, Feb 2010, Feb 2011, Feb 2015, Feb 2018. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Part of southern Iowa has received 20+ inches of snow this month.  Meanwhile, I've received 3 inches and I don't think Ames and Des Moines have received more than an inch.

You could understand getting missed to the north but getting missed to the south more than once is tougher.  Weird month.

• Like 3

Snow compacted down to about 10" since late last night.  Lots of leaves blowing around on top of the cover, as some trees had still been holding on to some stragglers.  That was some of the worst snow shoveling I've ever had to do.  The whole layer is dense/wet, but there's a layer about an inch thick on the bottom that is exceptionally dense/wet. 

Point has 6 degrees tonight, and 7 tomorrow night.  Tomorrow night has the potential to get down close to zero if the clouds cooperate.  High pressure ridge will be nearly overhead by late tomorrow night.

23 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Snow compacted down to about 10" since late last night.  Lots of leaves blowing around on top of the cover, as some trees had still been holding on to some stragglers.  That was some of the worst snow shoveling I've ever had to do.  The whole layer is dense/wet, but there's a layer about an inch thick on the bottom that is exceptionally dense/wet. 

Point has 6 degrees tonight, and 7 tomorrow night.  Tomorrow night has the potential to get down close to zero if the clouds cooperate.  High pressure ridge will be nearly overhead by late tomorrow night.

When the snowblower has issues, it’s not good. 

Some roads are real bad as that bottom layer either wasn’t not completely removed, or was frozen solid. Thus it’s like driving on a really potholed road. 

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

When the snowblower has issues, it’s not good. 

Some roads are real bad as that bottom layer either wasn’t not completely removed, or was frozen solid. Thus it’s like driving on a really potholed road. 

Yeah snow has been over for over 13 hours and the roads are still pretty bad

10 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Part of southern Iowa has received 20+ inches of snow this month.  Meanwhile, I've received 3 inches and I don't think Ames and Des Moines have received more than an inch.

Not the best pattern but certainly active the next ten days. Upper Miss. Valley/MW have the best shot for accumulating snow... if we can manage enough cold air. Hopefully the snow hole in N IA/WI/MN fills in a bit. 

• Like 2

Picked up an unexpected 0.2" of very fluffy/light snow early this morning.  Was actually supposed to be clear and allow temps to drop into the single digits.  Temp ended up stalling up at 15.  That brings us to 16" for the season already.  To put that in perspective, we only had 8.9" at the end of January last season.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Picked up an unexpected 0.2" of very fluffy/light snow early this morning.  Was actually supposed to be clear and allow temps to drop into the single digits.  Temp ended up stalling up at 15.  That brings us to 16" for the season already.  To put that in perspective, we only had 8.9" at the end of January last season.  

We got a dusting in Iowa City as well. Off topic, but the drive down here from CR, the cutoff from North Liberty to Coralville was insane. 4-5" in Coralville and bare ground in North Liberty. Haven't seen anything like it around here. We have about 7" on the U of I campus.

• Like 2

Looks like two systems to watch over the next 7 days. The system Friday night into Saturday looks to be pretty moisture-rich but primarily looking more liquid than frozen, although some wet snow would be possible. I would be more concerned about potential flooding, with this snow pack and potential for any freezing rain, depending on if models are warming these temps up a bit too much. 

It's still fairly early, but the one i'm keeping my eye on closely, is the one slated for Monday into Tuesday, which could be our next shoveling snow potentially. 

It sure is nice to have plenty to track and watch this year! gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_fh84-120.thumb.gif.dd05bcef1baaafcac25fb3646a47d6f0.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_fh138-174.gif

29 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

That 12/3-12/4 storm looks eerily like what just happened with track and moisture, although not winding up  as early.

That’s what I was thinking, the system around the 2nd precedes it and kind of “sets the stage” for the second storm, much like what happened with this last storm. Interesting.