Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

^Wow it looks like deeeeep winter there!

Definitely!  And I'm still eating Halloween candy!

Still snowing hard at times, and should into the evening.  Way over achieved with this event.  Forecast was for up to 5", I'll likely be double that before it ends. 

Quick depth measurement in the yard

IMG_1393.thumb.JPG.bcd34d6d06552f235cde099cb2659d17.JPG

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Still snowing hard at times, and should into the evening.  Way over achieved with this event.  Forecast was for up to 5", I'll likely be double that before it ends. 

You have more snow on the ground on November 19 than the vast majority of the subforum will have at any time this winter.

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

You have more snow on the ground on November 19 than the vast majority of the subforum will have at any time this winter.

Not that it matters, snow is snow, but I wonder what percent of annual snowfall there is synoptic.  Probably hard to know since synoptic storms also get the lake involved.

7 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I'm starting to think more and more that my snow trip this year will be negaunee area with another trip to the huron mountains. I loved it there when I went a few years ago and that was in a sub par Winter. With this Winter seemingly being more severe, I really look forward to going back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Waking up to another picturesque light November snowfall. We've had nothing of significance but I cannot remember a November with more measurable snowfalls.

Agreed. I can’t remember a November with more sub 20 temperature readings either. Will be interesting as we progress into the winter if this leads to a mild and warm Jan/Feb as the pattern changes

• Like 1

The fiancée and I took a weekend trip up to Northern Minnesota. We hiked Eagle Mountain on the southern end of the Boundary Waters Wilderness, elevation 2301’ and the highest point between the Appalachians and Black Hills. 

All of the inland lakes are frozen over and there is 5-6” on the ground once you get a few miles inland and gain some elevation. Absolutely worth the 7 mile round trip hike. Incredible views and complete solitude. 

97E18997-47E0-482D-BC2A-CE4857D1334D.jpeg

• Like 9

Yesterday mornings snowfall was once again scenic, dropping 0.9" imby and 1.0" at DTW. We have had no snows of significance but the number of snowfalls is very unusual for so early. DTW has nickeled and dimed to 6.0" and mby to 5.2". Measurable snow has fallen on 7 days thru Nov 20. The only time on record more fell was 8 days by this time in 1950. One other year, 1880, also had 7 days (but 1 of them was October). So the perception that this many snowfalls this early was unusual...is correct. By sunset yesterday, snow remained in shady spots and was gone in sunny spots (yes, we had just our 3rd non-cloudy day of November yesterday).

46505900_10110834882555323_3010383637653

46485421_10110834882600233_6824189733212

46495963_10110834882640153_1076982630227

46508131_10110835932112003_2850726208474

• Like 4

What an unusual month. I just checked my CoCoRaHS record and I have seen flakes flying on 11 days this month with more chances next week. Granted, it has only been trace amounts, but it is something I'm used to seeing in February, not November. I would venture to guess that it is more likely to see one relatively large snow event  than this practically constant snow flurries/showers.

Happy Thanksgiving every one (Go Bears).

17 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

What an unusual month. I just checked my CoCoRaHS record and I have seen flakes flying on 11 days this month with more chances next week. Granted, it has only been trace amounts, but it is something I'm used to seeing in February, not November. I would venture to guess that it is more likely to see one relatively large snow event  than this practically constant snow flurries/showers.

Happy Thanksgiving every one (Go Bears).

It has been an absurdly cold November. We still have parking lot piles from the last 2 snow events that have failed to melt simply because the temperature has barely been above 32. Beautiful turkey day weather on tap, 52 and sunny. 

And yes go bears! Feels good to be first in our division after so many years of Aaron Rodgers and the packers dominating! 

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

It has been an absurdly cold November. We still have parking lot piles from the last 2 snow events that have failed to melt simply because the temperature has barely been above 32. Beautiful turkey day weather on tap, 52 and sunny. 

And yes go bears! Feels good to be first in our division after so many years of Aaron Rodgers and the packers dominating! 

You are on the warm side of the temperature gradient. We are looking at 34° and breezy here today.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Gotta remember that these days, Hoosier is as warm biased (self admitted) as the CFS is wrong. :D

Anyways, here's a list of cities that are currently off to a top 10 coldest November on record. Rankings of mean average temperatures from Nov 1 thru Nov 21.

Alpena MI: 30.5˚ (4th coldest)

Chicago IL: 35.2˚ (9th coldest)

Cincinnati OH: 40.8˚ (8th coldest)

Dayton OH: 39.0˚ (9th coldest)

Des Moines IA: 32.9˚ (8th coldest)

Dubuque IA: 30.2˚ (4th coldest)

Duluth MN: 23.0˚ (5th coldest)

Evansville IN: 40.5˚ (5th coldest)

Flint MI: 34.0˚ (6th coldest)

Indianapolis IN: 38.1˚ (10th coldest)

International Falls MN: 20.1˚ (7th coldest)

Kanas City MO: 35.8˚ (the coldest)

Marquette MI: 23.5˚ (2nd coldest)

Paducah KY: 42.3˚ (6th coldest)

Peoria IL: 35.0˚ (7th coldest)

Rochester MN: 26.0˚ (6th coldest)

Rockford IL: 33.1˚ (8th coldest)

St Cloud MN: 23.9˚ (6th coldest)

St Louis MO: 38.8˚ (3rd coldest)

South Bend IN: 34.7˚ (7th coldest)

Springfield IL: 35.3˚ (2nd coldest)

Springfield MO: 39.0˚ (T3rd coldest)

Wausau WI: 26.5˚ (6th coldest)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Gotta remember that these days, Hoosier is as warm biased (self admitted) as the CFS is wrong. :D

Anyways, here's a list of cities that are currently off to a top 10 coldest November on record. Rankings of mean average temperatures from Nov 1 thru Nov 21.

You don't post much anymore, but you sure bring the good stuff when you do! Happy Thanksgiving to you.

• Like 1