Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

17 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Neat map although its a bit low in this area. I notice models have trouble with early season snow right on the water & for whatever reason that snow total map is also low along the water in eastern MI. Now we have been lower totals right along the water, not as low as the map shows. I'm at 2.8" so far here but that map indicates 1.5 to 2. DTW is 3.6" but the map indicates 2 to 2.5. It will be interesting to see the accuracy level as the Winter progresses.

Probably not 100% accurate but pretty close I think for most areas.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Neat map although its a bit low in this area. I notice models have trouble with early season snow right on the water & for whatever reason that snow total map is also low along the water in eastern MI. Now we have been lower totals right along the water, not as low as the map shows. I'm at 2.8" so far here but that map indicates 1.5 to 2. DTW is 3.6" but the map indicates 2 to 2.5. It will be interesting to see the accuracy level as the Winter progresses.

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Probably not 100% accurate but pretty close I think for most areas.  

It's very accurate here. That "7" that is right over mby compared to 7.4" I have measured so far. Fwiw, all of these snow total maps tend to miss the tenth here, or tenth there that lands on my deck so I make allowances for that. Still damned impressive technology at our finger tips in this era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

It's very accurate here. That "7" that is right over mby compared to 7.4" I have measured so far. Fwiw, all of these snow total maps tend to miss the tenth here, or tenth there that lands on my deck so I make allowances for that. Still damned impressive technology at our finger tips in this era.

Definitely good technology. Its really 1-2" off in eastern Wayne county but at the same time to be technical the graph cuts off a sliver tracing the entire outline of MI. When you live right on the edge as i do i guess you notice it more. Also the dtx snow map was bad for the event the other day. Downtown Detroit had 2" but melting commenced by afternoon so another report came in during evening of 0.6" lol.  Like I said above it'll be very interesting to see the map as the Winter season progresses because one thing that's for certain is that the sub is getting measurable snow way earlier than normal this year, Winter has not even begun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah snowing again here as well.  Didn't expect it to make it back this far north, but here it is lol.  

Models have definitely been a bit off with the placement of this.  Better returns are actually just to my NORTH right now, which looked like there was no way that would happen.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Models have definitely been a bit off with the placement of this.  Better returns are actually just to my NORTH right now, which looked like there was no way that would happen.

A few days ago it looked like the NAM was taking the Euro and GFS to school again, but the NAM ended up being less accurate with the first wave.  Don't think any model handled tonight's secondary wave very well.  

Snow continues to come down at a decent rate here.  Paved areas have whitened up in the last half hour or so.

EDIT:  Subzero temps for the first time this season in Iowa tonight.  -2 at Estherville currently.  

• Like 1

Wow, nice overachieving cold in IA and MI! Same for northern WI as well, as my favorite town of Minocqua dropped to -4. Clear and calm with snow cover and long nights. 

We have about an inch of snow on the ground here in the concrete jungle of Chicago’s northern suburbs...and if skies clear tonight, we may drop to 12 or 14. Lowest temp so far this season has been 16. Normal low is around 27.

• Like 1

Picked up around 2.3" of snow this morning in Western Illinois south of Galesburg. Another decent early season snowfall (decent for November standards). I'm not complaining. Here are some photography that I shot this morning. A few areas to my north in Mercer County (New Windsor) got close to 4-5" from what I saw, kinda jealous of that lol. Especially after missing last week's 7" snowfall by 45-50 miles. But I take what I can get.

D9CCB038-85F5-4321-AD7A-3871928DE25B.JPEG

B574D1EF-262A-414A-96CA-DA3E57B65F98.JPEG

FC62161D-93FD-43C5-932A-8E7B6016F0C1.JPEG

F3A449F2-C4B5-4CD8-BE6C-33976F3DF1EA.JPEG

• Like 7

I think the late week warmup is likely to produce 50 at ORD, but not 60.  I mention this because the last 60 degree temp was on October 31, and there have only been 7 years in which the last 60 degree day occurred in October (most recently 1997).  I don't see a chance for 60 the rest of the month, so assuming that's the case, it would come down to December, which of course is less favorable from a climo perspective.