Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

On 11/16/2018 at 2:16 AM, Stebo said:

At least us midwesterners know how to drive...

It is insane what happened there today.

Well if Detroit had 8 million people crammed into it, with an early snow storm occurring in mid-October by climatological comparisons, receiving 6+ inches when they were supposed to get 1 or 2, with the heaviest snow falling during the evening commute that catches /millions/ off guard, then I think there might be similar issues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You guys speak of this November overcast as if it is unusual :lol:. Jokes aside my brother lived in Chicago for 4 years and moved back this summer and he did note how much cloudier it is here in late Fall and Winter.  Its something I'm used to and I'll be honest with you, I actually enjoy it because its another sign of the impending Winter. The Great Lakes has very cloudy Winters, especially November and December, but it has never once bothered me, especially since we have very sunny summers. Through the 1st 16 days of November the average sky cover at Detroit has been 9.1 out of 10.  According to the sky cover scale of clear, partly cloudy, and cloudy, November so far has had 0 clear days, 2 partly cloudy days, and 14 cloudy days.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Almost hard to believe we had this 5 years ago with how this November has been.

day1otlk_20131117_1300_prt.gif.e611da99d860a4a82d1854a1fa8827f5.gif

With several light snowfalls the past week and constant cold, my mindset has shifted into mid Winter mode, and it's kind of unrealistic because that graph shows you how early in the season it really is. We were having a severe outbreak in mid November of 2013. Little did we know at the time that we were on the way to a historic, once in a lifetime Winter that was completely relentless. It was not just how severe Winter was with the cold, snow, and snow depth, but it set in early and never left. Even then it had not locked in in mid November

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Almost hard to believe we had this 5 years ago with how this November has been.

day1otlk_20131117_1300_prt.gif.e611da99d860a4a82d1854a1fa8827f5.gif

I’ll never forget that day, you woke up that morning and went outside and knew something was not right. I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the PDS tor watch that was issued for most of IL and some surrounding areas was the first ever issued PDS in the 6AM-9Am time frame or something like that. Again not sure exactly If that’s what it was but I remember reading something like that a couple years back. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

With several light snowfalls the past week and constant cold, my mindset has shifted into mid Winter mode, and it's kind of unrealistic because that graph shows you how early in the season it really is. We were having a severe outbreak in mid November of 2013. Little did we know at the time that we were on the way to a historic, once in a lifetime Winter that was completely relentless. It was not just how severe Winter was with the cold, snow, and snow depth, but it set in early and never left. Even then it had not locked in in mid November

My dad and I frequently talk about this tornado outbreak and the winter that followed. It literally seemed like Mother Nature slammed us with a historic tornado outbreak, and then immediately  delivered a knockout blow with relentless cold, snow, and as you mentioned snow depth. We had a blizzard that year (Polar Vortex Blizzard) we had thunder snow from a separate event, we had wind chills readings places hadn’t seen since the 80s, snow depth that literally felt like we didn’t see bare ground from December to March. 

I will never ever forget the brutal winter of 2013-2014. 

• Like 2

Peoria, IL has only recorded one day this month with a positive temperature departure (+3F on the 4th) . Crazy how persistent the cold has been. Looks like we will pick up another inch or so of snow tonight. I am looking forward to the brief warm up around Thanksgiving as there is still yard work that needs to get done!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Several inches of snow fell overnight with a transient but heavy band of snow with a Lake Nipigon connection.  Puts my seasonal total at 3 feet now.

cool hi-res season total snow maps

111718.thumb.png.527bd5d660dcc9142d35dae66ebaf6fb.png

unt1117181.thumb.png.a2e0791f90e592420bc13062a58e10ee.png

Cool map.  It seems fairly accurate around here.  I have my season total at 2.5" after using nearby obs to estimate what fell a couple days ago (was melting before I got home to measure)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Yeah I am so over this constant overcast. And not a snowflake to show for it here. I feel like I am in Seattle. Where is the sunshine ? Today was supposed to be Partly Sunny and ended up being cloudy. Tomorrow was forecast to be Mostly Cloudy and now they changed it to Cloudy. They are forecasting "Partly Sunny" on Mon and Tues but I have a feeling as it gets closer it will change to Mostly Cloudy or Cloudy.

Did I not warn you? :lol:

Might as well get used to the constant overcast skies. I don't miss that *at all.*

Welcome to the Great Lakes region, lol.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

You guys speak of this November overcast as if it is unusual :lol:. Jokes aside my brother lived in Chicago for 4 years and moved back this summer and he did note how much cloudier it is here in late Fall and Winter.  Its something I'm used to and I'll be honest with you, I actually enjoy it because its another sign of the impending Winter. The Great Lakes has very cloudy Winters, especially November and December, but it has never once bothered me, especially since we have very sunny summers. Through the 1st 16 days of November the average sky cover at Detroit has been 9.1 out of 10.  According to the sky cover scale of clear, partly cloudy, and cloudy, November so far has had 0 clear days, 2 partly cloudy days, and 14 cloudy days.

Now be nice! :P

Snowless in Carrollton *IS* from Georgia (Carrollton is about a 20 minute drive from here). For a person that's used to the Sun Belt, it is unusual.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, RobertSul said:

Well if Detroit had 8 million people crammed into it, with an early snow storm occurring in mid-October by climatological comparisons, receiving 6+ inches when they were supposed to get 1 or 2, with the heaviest snow falling during the evening commute that catches /millions/ off guard, then I think there might be similar issues. 

And not just any type of snow either, but rather 6"+ of cement, which is a b**ch to do anything in.

Just ask the Deteoit Lions who had to play in it against the Philadelphia Eagles not too long ago.

6 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Several inches of snow fell overnight with a transient but heavy band of snow with a Lake Nipigon connection.  Puts my seasonal total at 3 feet now.

cool hi-res season total snow maps

111718.thumb.png.527bd5d660dcc9142d35dae66ebaf6fb.png

unt1117181.thumb.png.a2e0791f90e592420bc13062a58e10ee.png

Neat map although its a bit low in this area. I notice models have trouble with early season snow right on the water & for whatever reason that snow total map is also low along the water in eastern MI. Now we have been lower totals right along the water, not as low as the map shows. I'm at 2.8" so far here but that map indicates 1.5 to 2. DTW is 3.6" but the map indicates 2 to 2.5. It will be interesting to see the accuracy level as the Winter progresses.

36 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Now be nice! :P

Snowless in Carrollton *IS* from Georgia (Carrollton is about a 20 minute drive from here). For a person that's used to the Sun Belt, it is unusual.

Yeah i have lived in GA my whole life until 10 months ago. And i wont be in this area too much longer. The endless cloudy days is incredibly depressing. And im not even close to the Great Lakes. I am a good 200 miles SE of Lake Michigan so im not sure where these clouds are coming from.

• Like 1