Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

On 10/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, Hoosier said:

Gotta post the CFS.  You know me...

Looks like we won't have the cold north and west/warm south and east gradient like October, unless this is completely wrong.

These CFS runs are now -very- different from the most recent GEFS runs, which run out to Nov. 16-17.  If you look at GEFS 5-day averages of 850mb temp anomaly or surface temp anomaly, they have many days of below normals for the Midwest and southern Canada.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chinook said:

These CFS runs are now -very- different from the most recent GEFS runs, which run out to Nov. 16-17.  If you look at GEFS 5-day averages of 850mb temp anomaly or surface temp anomaly, they have many days of below normals for the Midwest and southern Canada.

There should be some warm pulses in the next week or two, especially out ahead of bigger storms, but whether it's enough to offset all the negative days is certainly questionable.  Could see more of a breakdown into a warmer pattern in latter November but that is getting out there.

40 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Today's system really looks like a classic winter storm just by glancing at reflectivity.  You guys from eastern IL up through southeast MI would have been sitting pretty lol.  Would have been a grueling cutoff near Hoosier.

Judging from our climo and our luck, this will be the most favorable storm track all winter :lol: the pattern has been interesting to me lately, especially with that blob off the pac coast, and the La Niña like behavior. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Today's system really looks like a classic winter storm just by glancing at reflectivity.  You guys from eastern IL up through southeast MI would have been sitting pretty lol.  Would have been a grueling cutoff near Hoosier.

Not the most dynamic of systems and thus lacking in heavy rain. Nonetheless, it's nice to finally get a decent system tracking thru this region.

24 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Just came to comment on this... the GFS and its ensemble seem to bite, but I'm waiting on some other models to produce something noteworthy before I believe...

Now why would you do that?  You're supposed to throw caution to the wind on early season snows that are a week out.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Now why would you do that?  You're supposed to throw caution to the wind on early season snows that are a week out.

Because I have a tendency to believe anything blue :(

Also, I mean believe as in "mayhaps worthy of a glance", not "separate-thread discussion worthy" lol

53 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

As cool as it would be to get dumped on in early November, I need a couple weeks to collect the neighbor's oak leaves for my garden.

The maples on my block only recently turned mostly yellow (still a little green mixed in) and easily still have 80-90% of their leaves.  Of course half of them might come down in the windbag on Tuesday. 

• Haha 1

00z GFS still has the snow system.

Looking at the overall setup, I think this actually has a decent chance of happening roughly in the area currently being advertised even though the calendar says early November.  Heights really don't have a chance to rebound a lot in the wake of the big system earlier in the week, which should help prevent a mega north trend.  Note I said prevent a mega north trend, which doesn't mean some north trend can't occur.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding the end of week system, the Euro is about as far north as it can go imo.  It is a bit slower than the other models.  If it were to slow down even more than the 00z Euro, then it could actually run the risk of eventually getting sheared out by the northern stream.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Regarding the end of week system, the Euro is about as far north as it can go imo.  It is a bit slower than the other models.  If it were to slow down even more than the 00z Euro, then it could actually run the risk of eventually getting sheared out by the northern stream.

I.E. 6z gfs lol