Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Just now, winterwx21 said:

GFS still has the early part of the first week of December warm, and then brings in the cold on the 5th. It still might get cold during the 1st week of December, but not until later in the week.

Gfs is much better than 6z

The blocking is doing the work on this run. The op runs will change alot.

The interior should watch tuesday. The models are starting to pop the coastal low earlier.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

GFS still has the early part of the first week of December warm, and then brings in the cold on the 5th. It still might get cold during the 1st week of December, but not until later in the week.

Probably rushing things a bit, although still good to see of course.  At this point I'm about ready to close the shades and punt today-December 10th or so, but I think our chances improve mid-month on.

Patience!  It's only November 24th!  :-)

3 hours ago, Stormman96 said:

Starting to get that worry feeing.  Last week I kept thinking this is a bad sign for winter lovers that we are getting an early season snowstorm. Usually in past more often then not leads to snowless winters. Even while at sametime everyone was saying how good pattern was looking to end November and start December. Kept hearing from multiple sources that we would have a high chance of 2 or more winter storm threats in first week of December.   Now things are already changing and not looking so promising early December. Now im hearing perhaps mid to late December this reminds me of a winter in the past not sure what year. But kept hearing  cold an snow was coming. It was always 2 more weeks.  Next think I knew it was april.  Just venting. But hopefully thats not the case this year

I used to think this due to 1989 and 2011. However 2002, 1995 and 2012 had November snows and they were good to great winters. I think its random luck and the following winter determined by the background state.

LOL at the models which are all, even HRRR trying to shift the heavy rain east too soon while the dry slot is still surging north and NJ/E PA is getting drenched. Coming down good here in Huntington but at this rate the dry slot will be on the South Shore soon. Radar looks like a pinpoint replica of the mid March storm that dumped 24" along I-287 and went dryslot crazy east of there against model predictions. I guess either the 700mb low is tracking west of where models have it again, or dry air is wrapping around it more than models have. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

LOL at the models which are all, even HRRR trying to shift the heavy rain east too soon while the dry slot is still surging north and NJ/E PA is getting drenched. Coming down good here in Huntington but at this rate the dry slot will be on the South Shore soon. Radar looks like a pinpoint replica of the mid March storm that dumped 24" along I-287 and went dryslot crazy east of there against model predictions. I guess either the 700mb low is tracking west of where models have it again, or dry air is wrapping around it more than models have. 

I'm in Melville and right now it is pouring.  I hope we do dry slot soon---don't need all this rain

3 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

I'm in Melville and right now it is pouring.  I hope we do dry slot soon---don't need all this rain

I guess we'll see. If the models are right, the dry slot should stop heading north very soon and the rain pivots east and weakens some as the forcing diminishes. The heaviest amounts should be from us down the NJ shore from here. I'd say it's moderate-heavy where I am. Quite a dynamic little system. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I guess we'll see. If the models are right, the dry slot should stop heading north very soon and the rain pivots east and weakens some as the forcing diminishes. The heaviest amounts should be from us down the NJ shore from here. I'd say it's moderate-heavy where I am. Quite a dynamic little system. 

yes--This has certainly been dynamic--I was expecting less rain

Just now, CarLover014 said:

Pressure down to 993.75 mb. I can literally watch it drop on my phone (my normal barometer is at 994)

I don't have any saved radar images of the Mar 7th storm but this looks like its twin from my memory. The dry slot is already making its way onto the South Shore so the LI rain totals the models are showing will probably be a good bit high unless it does a hard right turn this second. Also obviously more heavy rain into N NJ than models had.