• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Models have backed off on the extent of the cold blast and it looks like a quick 1-2 day shot. Fairly substantial warming looking likely for 2nd half of November.

Also they're showing another coastal hugger early next week, which I'll admit is worrisome going forward. Could the hugger be the main track this season? 

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Models have backed off on the extent of the cold blast and it looks like a quick 1-2 day shot. Fairly substantial warming looking likely for 2nd half of November.

Also they're showing another coastal hugger early next week, which I'll admit is worrisome going forward. Could the hugger be the main track this season? 

What model does that ? 

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Chill out, cutters are more then normal during fall . I can see the panick already it’s November 6th R-E-L-A-X....

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Euro moves the cold in and out for next Tuesday/Wednesday. Gfs does too though it lingers a bit more. 

It makes sense given the more unfavorable teleconnections for 2nd half of November. 

The  Euro splits the cold into 2 - 3 day periods is because it cuts LP. 

The GFS is off to the east so the BN registers for 7 straight days.

Even so , the EURO is not 1 to 2 days 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

The  Euro splits the cold into 2 - 3 day periods is because it cuts LP. 

The GFS is off to the east so the BN registers for 7 straight days.

Even so , the EURO is not 1 to 2 days 

I agree that surface temps will still average BN for that period given averages are in the 50s. 

Regardless, I'm not worried because November is not a winter month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

we want storms-that's what's important right now-some of our snowiest winters had a parade of November cutters....

Exactly, that’s why we have had how many big November snow storms in most of our life times? The Thanksgiving storm in the late 80s and the post sandy storm. Maybe above 1k NW of the city there have been a couple more. The fact that we have some cold air in play is a good sign. 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly, that’s why we have had how many big November snow storms in most of our life times? The Thanksgiving storm in the late 80s and the post sandy storm. Maybe above 1k NW of the city there have been a couple more. The fact that we have some cold air in play is a good sign. 

Don't forget the day before T-giving 2014. I had a foot here. 

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Don't forget the day before T-giving 2014. I had a foot here. 

Hence my NW of the city. Late season storms are much more common then early for the coast. It’s really simple, the offshore waters are still warm in November. Just look at October 11 with SE queens getting more snow then the north shore hills of Nassau which average close to 10” more a season. 

• Like 1

November is keeping it's reputation during the 2010's as a month where cold starts to battle with with the fall warmth. Only 1 September since 2010 in a NYC with a slightly colder than average temperature. All the Octobers have been warmer than normal. But in recent years, we have seen how the -EPO has introduced more fall cold than has been the case for September and October. So after a warm start to November, it looks like the middle portion of the month will average out colder than normal. 

Cool down #1 

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_5.thumb.png.f02e2e50f2045880fd402a6e8b1fd629.png

Cool down #2

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_9.thumb.png.3bb3888f89b599e677bc91060fd34f51.png

• Like 1

For the second month in a row, the first week was exceptionally warm in the New York City area.  During the November 1-7 period, New York City had a mean temperature of 56.9°, which ranked 16th warmest on record for that period.  This was also the warmest November 1-7 period following an October 16-31 period when NYC had a mean temperature below 50°. Just as had been the case in October, a period of colder than normal weather appears likely to follow.

Such warmth during the first week of November does not necessarily mean that the winter will experience below normal snowfall. Since 1869, New York City has had 20 prior cases where the temperature averaged 56.0° or above during the first week in November. Mean snowfall for the winter ahead was 25.0" and median snowfall was 23.4".

However, if one broke those cases into subsets, December snowfall provided a powerful clue as to the overall seasonal snowfall. In cases where December saw 1.0" or more snow, the respective mean and median seasonal snowfall figures were 31.1" and 31.9". 54% of such cases saw 30" or more snow while 23% saw less than 20".  The mean and median figures were even higher from that subset following Novembers with 4.00" or more precipitation as appears likely to be the case this year. However, when it comes to the wet November cases within this subset, a lot of caution is required due to potential sample size issues.

In contrast, in the cases where less than 1.0" snow fell in December, the respective mean and median figures were 15.8" and 15.5". In that subset, 13% of winters saw 30" or more snow while 75% saw less than 20".