Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, I just saw the new Euro monthlies. Another winter with a wall of -EPO/+PNA blocking. The Euro monthlies highest skill scores are with the EPO/PNA. But for some reason, the skill scores are lower on the Atlantic side with the NAO/AO phases. 

From the analogs posted in response to this, I assume this is good news for those of us who want a snowy winter?

In other news the ECM, CMC and GFS are in strong agreement through 240 hours about the cold outbreak. GFS is the coldest for the NE, which is a little surprising.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 10:34 AM, bluewave said:

There really is no correlation between snowfall before the last week of November and the seasonal snowfall. Whether it snows early is more a reflection of the fall pattern. 2011 and 2012 are a great example of this. Both years featured record early snows. One winter was one of our worst for seasonal snowfall. The other featured one of our greatest February blizzards of all time.

that Feb 2013 snowstorm was really meh west of Suffolk County.  Only a foot of snow and about an inch of rain to begin with lol.  2012-13 was more like an average season for us.  March was cold but we whiffed on big snowfalls there too.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:39 AM, bluewave said:

It does look like Sunday will have closer to seasonable temperatures for the marathon. But November should come in with above normal temperatures in its first few days. This was also a theme for 2015, 2016, and 2017. The pattern also looks very stormy with one cutter after another. So our 2018 wet pattern continues into November. 

Strong November cutter pattern

ecmwf-ens_z500aMean_us_4.thumb.png.6d325670a52ba156072aa7ce32e3827e.png

Chris how long is the cold weather coming up next weekend supposed to last?

On 10/30/2018 at 9:10 AM, Drz1111 said:

You guys are silly bitching about cutters in Fall.  They are climatologically favored by the wavelengths and average jet location.  That’s why Denver has dual fall/spring snow maxima.  Troughs tend to dig in the Plains from October to early December (Ridge-Trough-Ridge) and then mean troughiness moves to the east in a ridge-trough pattern for late December and Jan-Feb.  It has always been thus.  Enjoy your month of NW winds and stratocumulus.

Sunday's weather was perfect.  We've had more than enough rain for the whole year already.  I want nice and dry and clear blue skies for October and November.  Great for fall foliage and stargazing.  Not rain and wall to wall SAD conditions lol.

2 hours ago, dWave said:

Yeah, in the 5 boros it seems almost completely devoid of color then it's like a switch flipped overnight to peak color. Early Nov is normal peak for NYC but to me it was much less gradual than usual. It went from next to nothing to amazing colors in a few days.

and yesterday's weather was PERFECT

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, I just saw the new Euro monthlies. Another winter with a wall of -EPO/+PNA blocking. The Euro monthlies highest skill scores are with the EPO/PNA. But for some reason, the skill scores are lower on the Atlantic side with the NAO/AO phases. 

Isn't the NAO/AO much harder to predict?

this is from OSU:

This is another paper about NAO prediction. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-00353-y

Most important factors they found were fall Barents/Kara Sea Ice, fall wave 1 stratospheric disturbances and fall north Atlantic SST configuration.  

35 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Good question. It looks like the middle portion of November will be cold. These November -EPO cold shots since 2013 featured the first freeze and trace of snow for NYC.

Yes I see talk of mid November snow in a few subforums lol.  The question is will it just be a trace or might we see something more alone the lines of November 2012?

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

No frost here in SW Nassau and the lowest we got to so far was 38.

I should have clarified that I was talking about SE Nassau. Although there isn’t too much of a diffence in density between the two your proximity to the city heat island definitely keeps you a few degrees warmer on radiational cooling nights.

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I should have clarified that I was talking about SE Nassau. Although there isn’t too much of a diffence in density between the two your proximity to the city heat island definitely keeps you a few degrees warmer on radiational cooling nights.

Yes you guys are lucky I look at Farmingdale temps and they are always around 5 degrees colder than us.  Sometimes we have the rare radiational cooling night (usually with snowcover) where we are up to 10 degrees colder than JFK and more in line with Farmingdale temps.  That kind of night (minus the snowcover) actually happened in late October 2016 when we were in the upper 20s here.

At 8 am, a cold front was pressing eastward. Rain was again starting to fall in the Middle Atlantic region where 2018 has been among the wettest years on record. By year's end, Baltimore and Reading will likely have established new annual precipitation records. Other locations could have among their 10 wettest years on record.

Select Annual Precipitation Totals (through 11/6 8 am):

Allentown: 54.74” (9th wettest year on record)
Baltimore: 59.14” (3rd wettest year on record)
Bridgeport: 48.01” (11th wettest year on record)
Harrisburg: 55.83” (4th wettest year on record)
Islip: 50.20” (15th wettest year on record)
New York City: 52.31” (29th wettest year on record)
Newark: 45.22” (36th wettest year on record)
Philadelphia: 47.30” (31st wettest year on record)
Poughkeepsie: 47.57” (13th wettest year on record)
Reading: 58.10” (2nd wettest year on record)
Richmond: 56.03” (9th wettest year on record)
Scranton: 52.87” (3rd wettest year on record)
Washington, DC: 55.15” (6th wettest year on record)
Wilmington, NC: 90.21” (wettest year on record; old record: 83.65”, 1877)

• Like 1