Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October/November Mid/Long Range Disco

NorthArlington101

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

From what I know it is a fairly regular periodic cycle- so once the wind changes direction it tends stay there for a while, growing in magnitude then decreasing again.. It roughly resembles a sine wave, although it tends to shift more abruptly and is not necessarily symmetrical(positive and negative alternations).

So we shouldn't count on it to help us this winter?

27 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So we shouldn't count on it to help us this winter?

QBO
Calculated at NOAA/ESRL PSD
30mb zonal wind at the equator, zonal average
-20.41   -9.91   -2.79

This is the trend for Aug-Sept-Oct

I am definitely not an expert, but my guess is no it won't help. Probably depends on how rapidly it moves into positive territory. It is only one index, but it does (apparently) impact the strat PV. When the QBO is negative, headed more negative, or positive but close to neutral, this seems to favor a weaker PV. At least that is the general theory I think. Like a lot of this stuff, it doesn't seem to be well understood.

18 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

QBO

-20.41   -9.91   -2.79

I am definitely not an expert, but my guess is no it won't help. Probably depends on how rapidly it moves into positive territory. It is only one index, but it does (apparently) impact the strat PV. When the QBO is negative, headed more negative, or positive but close to neutral, this seems to favor a weaker PV. At least that is the general theory I think. Like a lot of this stuff, it doesn't seem to be well understood.

Isotherm has a decent handle on the NAO,  but le is MIA. 

21 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

QBO

-20.41   -9.91   -2.79

The very thing that may hinder a -NAO early in the season might be a positive for a SSW event at some point via this theory: 

2 minutes ago, frd said:

The very thing that may hinder a -NAO early in the season might be a positive for a SSW event at some point via this theory: 

If what he says is valid- that a QBO transitioning from negative to positive increases the chances of SSWE, then that might bode will for NA blocking down the line. Get a -AO with some persistence, and often times a -NAO will follow. The chances of an early season -NAO(other than something transient) are probably pretty low anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If what he says is valid- that a QBO transitioning from negative to positive increases the chances of SSWE, then that might bode will for NA blocking down the line. Get a -AO with some persistence, and often times a -NAO will follow. The chances of an early season -NAO(other than something transient) are probably pretty low anyway.

Wow...The more I learn about what makes it snow here, the more I am amazed at how much of a chessboard it can be when it comes to how pieces have to setup and/or interact with each other to give us average to above average snow!

Starting to see the end of the mild pattern already showing up on lr ens. Both 00z gefs and eps with signs of the Aleutian low getting started. Gefs with a decent look out in time with higher heights into GL... Still some work to do but good timing, imo, for things to evolve nicely for early Dec.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

Starting to see the end of the mild pattern already showing up on lr ens. Both 00z gefs and eps with signs of the Aleutian low getting started. Gefs with a decent look out in time with higher heights into GL... Still some work to do but good timing, imo, for things to evolve nicely for early Dec.

Don't look now but the 06Z GEFS has no warm up to be found in the east. We see cold anomalies through the full 16 days.

• Like 5

06Z is showing a potentially favorable setup for the day 9-10 period. Right now we are seeing the -NAO breaking down a little too quickly allowing our Tues/Wed storm to rotate north of the preferred 50/50 region. This in turn is not allowing good ridging to develop in front of the trough that we see dropping down in the central part of the country. The trough now is going negative tilt as it enters the east which is good but due to lack of good ridging in front all we are seeing is a shallow drop southward thus those to our north are the ones that may benefit. Pretty simple solution to get the deeper drop so that it would benefit us though. See a stronger -NAO or a slower retreat of it and the results upstream would be a shifting southward of the low closer to the 50/50, better ridging in front of the trough and a deeper drop of the trough due to this ridging. Easy peasy. B)

day9-10.gif.299b929f9d30b9d033fb1476b9745cc8.gif

15 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

A brief cold(dry) shot with a hard freeze is kinda fun, but it is transient, and beyond that there is some work to be done to get to a decent h5 look as we head into December.

work.thumb.png.7950c0fa5c4cf10bde8a9f6ef0dfdba0.png

That's ugly but...there are some features there like the scandanavian ridge that could quickly evolve that into a decent look. It's also a look similar to warm early periods in past ninos in the analog set so not unusual. 

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That's ugly but...there are some features there like the scandanavian ridge that could quickly evolve that into a decent look. It's also a look similar to warm early periods in past ninos in the analog set so not unusual. 

There were maps, such as this, EPS 360 that when rolled forward in previous analog years evolved into a pretty deep winter period over the East. The question of course is how long. one thing for sure seems to be a very cold period and then some moderation after Nov. 20th. Still not cold enough presently to kill all the bugs yet, that should happen soon though.  I am happen to be hopeful for once. 

44 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Pop a decent -Nao into that look curtsy of the Euro ridging and you end up with a trough in the east and a +PNA. The EPO would probably still stay + but all in all it would be a very workable look for us.

1 hour ago, frd said:

There were maps, such as this, EPS 360 that when rolled forward in previous analog years evolved into a pretty deep winter period over the East. The question of course is how long. one thing for sure seems to be a very cold period and then some moderation after Nov. 20th. Still not cold enough presently to kill all the bugs yet, that should happen soon though.  I am happen to be hopeful for once. 

I've seen stats that suggest the kind of ridge  were seeing in Scandanavia this time of year often precedes a -nao. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I've seen stats that suggest the kind of ridge  were seeing in Scandanavia this time of year often precedes a -nao. 

Yes, thats true, plus some connections as well to wave 1 activity.

On a unrelated note there may be additional PV displacements/weakenings in early December.

Wonder too if the big storm(s) next week off the East Coast have any effects as well on the NW Atlantic and at the say time Finland experiencing all time record warm temps, maybe that is helping the Scandanavia ridge to generate and enhances it maybe. 

Would love to see at some point the PV take it from both sides , the Atlantic and the Pac. I think that is to a degree how it went down last Jan to Feb in a series of attempts that lead to the eventual SSWE . and the bitter cold March and cold April 

3 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

06Z is showing a potentially favorable setup for the day 9-10 period. Right now we are seeing the -NAO breaking down a little too quickly allowing our Tues/Wed storm to rotate north of the preferred 50/50 region. This in turn is not allowing good ridging to develop in front of the trough that we see dropping down in the central part of the country. The trough now is going negative tilt as it enters the east which is good but due to lack of good ridging in front all we are seeing is a shallow drop southward thus those to our north are the ones that may benefit. Pretty simple solution to get the deeper drop so that it would benefit us though. See a stronger -NAO or a slower retreat of it and the results upstream would be a shifting southward of the low closer to the 50/50, better ridging in front of the trough and a deeper drop of the trough due to this ridging. Easy peasy. B)

Too much gradient ... The N/stream is bulling in but we're lingering with 582 dm heights from new Mexico to the lower M/A in the bounce-back latitudes.

What that means is that as the trough comes down ...the heights compress in spatial distance between the lines... and when you get a lot of them, that's a gradient saturation = high balance wind flow outside of the short waves in the flow.

That in turn doesn't work out too well for the short waves.   Just something to keep in mind - too much gradient can be a detriment to storm strength; you'll get them but they tend to be weaker and/or very fast movers.  

So "favorable set up" has some caveats in that look.. 

• Like 2

No mention of the 12z GFS for next Tuesday?
Pretty consistent the last few runs with a lot of energy still left to pass thru while the slp is already up to mass. First mangled flakes of the season for western areas if it holds true?

751d3d309250fdd154b685393748840a.jpg

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Too much gradient ... The N/stream is bulling in but we're lingering with 582 dm heights from new Mexico to the lower M/A in the bounce-back latitudes.

What that means is that as the trough comes down ...the heights compress in spatial distance between the lines... and when you get a lot of them, that's a gradient saturation = high balance wind flow outside of the short waves in the flow.

That in turn doesn't work out too well for the short waves.   Just something to keep in mind - too much gradient can be a detriment to storm strength; you'll get them but they tend to be weaker and/or very fast movers.  

So "favorable set up" has some caveats in that look.. 

I understand what you are saying but you lost me with the 582dm heights. The farthest north I see that come is southern Texas through central Florida. What am I missing?

Not sure I see the GFS as a wrap around snow deal. I see it as a wave of low pressure sliding south of us that barely has enough warm air push to get 850's above freezing out here. Once it is east of us temps fall and theres still enough energy to produce precip.  Don't see this as an actual "snow" but I do think it might produce rain/snow or snow with enough precip still happening to at least be something to talk about.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic