Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October/November Mid/Long Range Disco

NorthArlington101

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Now I have a question...Is there anyway to tell from this point (or perhaps in a week or two) if something like this will be sustained feature (aside from relaxations in between, of course) this winter? 

(Like can we tell what sir NAO and AO have in mind for the winter? Lol) 

We're still a month away from being able to assess the state of the AO and whether or not it's a good long lead predictor. The data shows that mean AO of -1.25 or lower for the month of December is a pretty good predictor. Can't really get a handle on that until mid-late Dec. Dec could start off on the right foot tho

23 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I don’t know about that.  But I’m in Colombia (South America, not Maryland or South Carolina. :lol:  It’s spelled differently, but people still get it confused).  Anyway, it’s 91 and disgustingly humid attm.  I’m here until sunday, so I’m not vested at all in this.  Good luck to y’all tho.  

That is just U G L Y

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're still a month away from being able to assess the state of the AO and whether or not it's a good long lead predictor. The data shows that mean AO of -1.25 or lower for the month of December is a pretty good predictor. Can't really get a handle on that until mid-late Dec. Dec could start off on the right foot tho

Darn...so we still gotta wait in suspense for another month, eh? (Although, as you said...starting off in a negative phase is certainly a start...I mean, do we have any instances where December starts off right in that department and it still didn't work out? I guess I'm just trying to see how much a possibility there is of this NOT working out and going positive or something. Looks so good right now, but I'm trying to temper my outlook for now (but gosh that's hard to do!)

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Darn...so we still gotta wait in suspense for another month, eh? (Although, as you said...starting off in a negative phase is certainly a start...I mean, do we have any instances where December starts off right in that department and it still didn't work out? I guess I'm just trying to see how much a possibility there is of this NOT working out and going positive or something. Looks so good right now, but I'm trying to temper my outlook for now (but gosh that's hard to do!)

In reality we'll probably be waiting in suspense during all 3 met winter months. Door to door winter and the MA are rarely used in the same sentence. Always tempering your outlook is good practice. I'm already mentally prepared for whiffing during the first half of Dec and then suffering through the warm relaxation heading to the holidays. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

In reality we'll probably be waiting in suspense during all 3 met winter months. Door to door winter and the MA are rarely used in the same sentence. Always tempering your outlook is good practice. I'm already mentally prepared for whiffing during the first half of Dec and then suffering through the warm relaxation heading to the holidays. 

Me too. But then I also think about the prospects of waiting for the inevitable advertised pattern relaxation for the holidays, following the early month "great period" fail, only to see it continue to be muted/pushed back, run after run. So you heard it here first- there will be snow on the ground for Xmas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yeah I mean...I'm not looking for door-to-door, per se...I'm just in suspense about the pattern for the winter as a whole. If we gotta whiff in December, it'll feel a lot better knowing that at least the other elements (sir AO and company) will give us ample shot sometime during winter and not go to crap. Don't want all 3 months to suck again like the last two years! So that's why I'm eyeing those elements closely...anything in December is gravy!

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah I mean...I'm not looking for door-to-door, per se...I'm just in suspense about the pattern for the winter as a whole. If we gotta whiff in December, it'll feel a lot better knowing that at least the other elements (sir AO and company) will give us ample shot sometime during winter and not go to crap. Don't want all 3 months to suck again like the last two years! So that's why I'm eyeing those elements closely...anything in December is gravy!

we've been on quite a run of +AO winters. The late 80s/early 90s was worse so it's not unprecedented but it's still quite a run. 13-14/14-15 were thefts in a way. They shouldn't have produced like they did so we scored bigly in a general NH pattern that usually doesn't work here. A lot of signs pointing towards starting off met winter on the right foot. That in itself would be "novel". I try not to look too far down the road anymore. Sometimes (too many times) we're forced to look that far because we're screwed. Not the case as of now. Another week of consistent runs showing a -AO into Dec and we'll start getting lots of fantasy storms. The good thing about fantasy storms during a -AO period is they are believable and supported. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

we've been on quite a run of +AO winters. The late 80s/early 90s was worse so it's not unprecedented but it's still quite a run. 13-14/14-15 were thefts in a way. They shouldn't have produced like they did so we scored bigly in a general NH pattern that usually doesn't work here. A lot of signs pointing towards starting off met winter on the right foot. That in itself would be "novel". I try not to look too far down the road anymore. Sometimes (too many times) we're forced to look that far because we're screwed. Not the case as of now. Another week of consistent runs showing a -AO into Dec and we'll start getting lots of fantasy storms. The good thing about fantasy storms during a -AO period is they are believable and supported. 

were going to pay for all these crappy winters. Already Tracking storms and its November. Nov,Dec,Jan,Feb,march,April...6 months of this to go. You should move your lake house soon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'll wait until after thursday before starting a thread

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_51.png

Has ensemble support too. Damn that's a sweet look right there...

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65.png

We're really doing this already, aren't we? Lol (then again, if these looks keep popping up in LR...I don't think we'll have much choice!!) Gonna be really interesting to see where all of this goes! (and again, increasingly difficult to temper excitement if things like this keep showing up!)

58 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

We're really doing this already, aren't we? Lol (then again, if these looks keep popping up in LR...I don't think we'll have much choice!!) Gonna be really interesting to see where all of this goes! (and again, increasingly difficult to temper excitement if things like this keep showing up!)

We're starting Dec with the best pattern since 09 if the models have it right. It's been forever. Dec 2010 had an incredible block but it was a nina and we had one of the worst busts I've ever experienced. Boxing day storm literally ruined Christmas day for me. Lol. Weather is serious shizzle 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're starting Dec with the best pattern since 09 if the models have it right. It's been forever. Dec 2010 had an incredible block but it was a nina and we had one of the worst busts I've ever experienced. Boxing day storm literally ruined Christmas day for me. Lol. Weather is serious shizzle 

Dec. 2010. Absolute gut punch.

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

This time the Greenland block is working with record high NA snow cover and a continued decline in solar output , plus its cold in Canada . The feedback is working great so far. All systems GO !    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

You know what? I hadn't yet discovered this site yet...and this hadn't really gotten into tracking snow in Dec 2010...And looking at how big of a miss that was...I'm kinda glad I didn't! (Because I'm sure the models were looking great until the last couple days, right? Lol I just remember seeing news reports afterward showing huge mounds of snow in New York and was a bit green with snow envy!) That was just another hard example: never, EVER trust a nina! Glad we have Niño back this time!

8 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Phew. Impressive GEFS mean continues to spit out amazing looks, use for your snowmageddon..lol. In all seriousness, it's very hard not to like this look. EPS not as gung ho with a -NAO but it's still there, correct me if I'm wrong

gefs_z500a_nh_57.png

3 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Phew. Impressive GEFS mean continues to spit out amazing looks, use for your snowmageddon..lol. In all seriousness, it's very hard not to like this look.

You ain't lyin'....00z Eps not quite as aggressive with the NAO like the gefs and geps but wants to really get the -EPO/+PNA cranking as it pushes the Aleutian low further east.  All showing a -AO tho... No matter how you slice it, things are really shaping up for a Dec 5th shellacking!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

You ain't lyin'....00z Eps not quite as aggressive with the NAO like the gefs and geps but wants to really get the -EPO/+PNA cranking as it pushes the Aleutian low further east.  All showing a -AO tho... No matter how you slice it, things are really shaping up for a Dec 5th shellacking!

With a look like this we may have to keep an eye on the day 10-12 time frame. This period is where the EPS has the most impressive NA blocking, then the PAC really improves beyond that, and it appears to weaken the -NAO a bit towards day 15. Might just be getting washed out in the means though. But yeah, how about that textbook 50-50 low sitting under the GL ridge in this panel..

eps_z500a_noram_43.thumb.png.c94abaa7627887b489cf8d1652f3f9d7.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

I think as Webb alludes to the EPS, it does retrograde it and future projections for the -NAO might improve out in time from the EPS. 

• Like 1

@C.A.P.E. Yep...seeing that neg in the Ten valley with a 50/50 in position gets the juices flowing...

Believe me, I know the perils of LR ops and I dont kid myself that this will change but take a look at the FV3 out in time.  I post because it fits nicely with the gefs in that timeframe and gives an "idea" of what an h5 could look like.  Some wild looks should start to appear in the LR...

pYp53Jf.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

@C.A.P.E. Yep...seeing that neg in the Ten valley with a 50/50 in position gets the juices flowing...

Believe me, I know the perils of LR ops and I dont kid myself that this will change but take a look at the FV3 out in time.  I post because it fits nicely with the gefs in that timeframe and gives an "idea" of what an h5 could look like.  Some wild looks should start to appear in the LR...

Yeah both the GFS and the FV in recent runs have a low moving well south off the SE coast. 0z Euro op has a northern low that would appear to be too warm around day 10, but looking at the EPS there are several members hinting at a coastal low off the SE-MA coast. Something to keep an eye on in future runs.

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah both the GFS and the FV in recent runs have a low moving well south off the SE coast. 0z Euro op has a northern low that would appear to be too warm around day 10, but looking at the EPS there are several members hinting at a coastal low off the SE-MA coast. Something to keep an eye on in future runs.

With that advertised longwave pattern, I’d expect the op runs to start teasing us in the next few days.

12 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I distinctly remember that Boxing Day bust. After an amazing 09-10 winter, SC and GA got snow that day and we got the dreaded snow hole. I'm thrilled about this winter, but I heard someone say that we will be in for a drought next winter. Not sure how anyone can predict that, but I hope it's not true. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic