Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
October/November Mid/Long Range Disco

NorthArlington101

8 hours ago, Wonderdog said:

Is a little tropical system trying to develop in the SW Atlantic after the Tuesday storm leaves?

Yup.. wouldnt it be interesting to see something like Sandy.. Remember the mountains got a foot plus?

It'll probably turn out to be just cold rain but models seemingly starting to converge on that follow up coastal storm happening. GEFS show a shot at mixy precip, as does 18z GFS proper. 12z EURO today was also a icy/sleety mess for SW Virginia and some western parts of the state. ICON hopped on board with the follow up too. 

We'll see if 0z GFS does anything fun.

1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

That sure would have been a fun run 3 or 4 weeks from now. As it is...it was close to a frozen event for far NW areas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely interesting.  Climo is s b$%ch this time of year. Temps are close for Thursday morning for the nw areas.

Definitely interesting.  Climo is s b$%ch this time of year. Temps are close for Thursday morning for the nw areas.

Yep...who knows how the strength/position of that high will trend tho. Looks like most areas would at least start off as a brief period of frozen. Just a slight trend colder and it could be first flakes for many of us. Nice looking storm nonetheless...
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

I am trying to have some nightmares of deja vu from last year with storms or south. I'm sure this is going to change quite a bit over the next week but it's a little bit interesting

This time of year we need it to be uber cold in the mid range because it's almost guaranteed to verify warmer.  -15-20 airmass required to overcome climo. 

GEFS have been getting more and more interested in this event over the past couple of runs. Might be hiveminding like last year but has moved from 1 GEFS member interested in the follow up wave to now all but 4. 

By hour 108, 11 GEFS members have some sort of mix in the area. Many are FRZA. 850s must go more favorable at hour 120 or so because a couple of members flip Western areas to snow, other spots flip to rain.  ignore that, TTT doesn't support.

What everyone wants to see:

Oql16wi.png

xgBAN0l.gif

z95HM7O.gif

06z gfs
Faster onset of precipitation
Colder initial conditions
Better high placement over upstate NY
Stronger system

Let’s baby step into our first legit event of season! Maybe a long shot but positive signs so far...

@ 06z....just before precipitation arrives, column is plenty cool area wide. Boundary temps an issue in and around the metros but most areas 30-34 with dews 20-22.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Has to break right eventually. It's been 8 years since our last decent -ao pattern in Dec. 3-4 weeks to get things right... or fall apart. One or the other. 

Yeah its time for the streak to end with that feature. I even went all December 2009 with my profile pic for some good vibes. Might bring some luck. Or not. Probably the kiss of death.

47 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I agree. Please let the gefs be right with high latitudes... starting Dec with a strong -ao rarely fails our region...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

Know there is a strong correlation between a -AO in December progressing throughout the winter but do you know offhand how strong a correlation that is?

8 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Know there is a strong correlation between a -AO in December progressing throughout the winter but do you know offhand how strong a correlation that is?

If it's -1.25 or lower it's near perfect. I have the data spread saved somewhere. I'll see if I can find it later and post it. 

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic