Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 27 2018 Major East Coast Storm

bluewave

13 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

A lot of models have the rain coming in well before midnight now. Looks to me as if rain starts around 9 to 10pm friday night and tapers off late morning saturday.

agree on the start time and think any heavy rain threat is primarily in the morning, ending by ~10AM. light rain and/or drizzle should continue throughout the day, however.

lapse rates with the incoming dry slot during the morning hours are nothing to sneeze at. forecast soundings show up to 500 j/kg of CAPE at JFK based around 800mb, so some embedded heavy showers appear likely. thunder risk is much higher in the low-level warm sector offshore but believe chances are non-zero around here given the advection of instability on a 50-60KT low level jet.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

agree on the start time and think any heavy rain threat is primarily in the morning, ending by ~10AM. light rain and/or drizzle should continue throughout the day, however.

lapse rates with the incoming dry slot during the morning hours are nothing to sneeze at. forecast soundings show up to 500 j/kg of CAPE at JFK based around 800mb, so some embedded heavy showers appear likely. thunder risk is much higher in the low-level warm sector offshore but believe chances are non-zero around here given the advection of instability on a 50-60KT low level jet.

Yeah, another fall event with these anomalously steep mid level lapse rates. Looks like there will be a window Saturday morning where the elevated cape and LLJ max overlap. That will probably be the time of the greatest wind and heaviest rainfall rates. Has more of a convective appearance than the typical fall nor'easter.

IMG_0292.thumb.PNG.2258f78303d172dabb70df2581c6cf72.PNG

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Animal said:

Not much of a storm regarding total precipitation.

Precip is rarely robust in these setups because we will be in the cold sector. As you can see the QPF is greater East of the track where things will be more convective in nature. If this was Winter the potential would have been there for a quick 6-12” thump before the dry slot.

3 minutes ago, skarkster said:

How do you think NYC airports will be effected on Saturday.  Have a flight from LGA at 10 AM to Chicago...

there will definitely be arrival delays and probably some cancellations due to the excessive wind gusts limiting the amount of runways they can use.

your departure depends on when that plane initially gets into LGA. most NYC to ORD flights would not be canceled since these are hubs.

8 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

there will definitely be arrival delays and probably some cancellations due to the excessive wind gusts limiting the amount of runways they can use.

your departure depends on when that plane initially gets into LGA. most NYC to ORD flights would not be canceled since these are hubs.

Looks like the inbound flight gets in the night before...thanks!

On 10/24/2018 at 11:29 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I tend to agree in a steady state climate that was a 200-500 year event. But with things being in uncaharted waters anything is possible.

I still think the storm is stronger then currently modeled. 

Yes this really is unprecedented in terms of the wild swings in weather we have now.  What I find absolutely amazing is with how frigid the 1870-1920 period was, we had zero measurable October snow in that period at Central Park (or at least none that was 1 inch or higher.)  So it's pretty mindblowing that in 2011 in October you could get something that you never got during the frigid 1870-1920 period!  A period during which NYC consistently averaged over 30 inches of snow!

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

A lot of our local forecasters are calling for widespread thunderstorms on Saturday.  Ch 12 Long Island is going with heavy rain between 9 AM and 3 PM locally up to 3" with 60 MPH winds.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:34 AM, gravitylover said:

You keep forgetting October 2012. That was equally as bad here although I don't think the power was out for as long, maybe 3 days instead of 5+ but that was because we had lost so many big trees just a year before.

October 2012, Sandy.  I was referring to a big snow event in October they're really rare for the coast.  Up where you are, it's like a 1 in 10 year event to get a snow event in October I would think?

34 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's not. The storm is a quick mover and not completely organized due to multiple pieces of energy interfering with each other instead of a single consolidated phase.

which is why we saw the 970 mb lows disappear from modeling a few days ago...

-

Euro has about 1 to 1.5 inches of rain, most of it Friday night and Saturday before noon.  Winds peak 2-5pm with gusts close to 50 for coastal spots, less inland

53 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's not. The storm is a quick mover and not completely organized due to multiple pieces of energy interfering with each other instead of a single consolidated phase.

Oh that's probably why it's relatively weak (forecast to be around 999 mb).  The high winds are going to be from a combo of the storm plus high pressure to the NE.

33 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Oh that's probably why it's relatively weak (forecast to be around 999 mb).  The high winds are going to be from a combo of the storm plus high pressure to the NE.

A few days ago you had a slower timed system which would have allowed the high to the North to get into better position and drive some cold air in on the NW side. The faster timing along with the less phased solution led to a weaker storm evolution and overall less impactful system than first thought. With that being said, this should still be a pretty solid system with a heavy wind driven rain for several hours.

11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

A few days ago you had a slower timed system which would have allowed the high to the North to get into better position and drive some cold air in on the NW side. The faster timing along with the less phased solution led to a weaker storm evolution and overall less impactful system than first thought. With that being said, this should still be a pretty solid system with a heavy wind driven rain for several hours.

Yea, I'm still going to enjoy this storm, just not enthused by the idea of heavy rain occurring at night and drizzle during the day lol.  Same goes with snow.... I like to see the heaviest precip timed with daylight hours and also with the highest winds.

The 12z RGEM had a more robust looking system with more influence from the high to the North. You can see here the sagging in the isobars over the Hudson Valley which is a CAD (cold air damming) signature. That basically means that the flow from the high to the North is helping to bring down cold, dry air on the Northern edge. It could also locally increase deformation banding.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_46.png

48 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, it looks like it may come close to the low end major flooding event last March in the back bays.

USGS.01310521.106564.62619..20180101.20181025..0..gif.989b065bf5ca8c7a7ea58853ab1f86cc.gif

That was a pretty solid event. The end of my street was completely submerged which is a 1 in 3-5 year type event. Those that raised their houses after sandy but not the property lost any replacement landscaping. If it were me I would spend some extra money on fill to raise the entire property. This is going to be a recurring issue in years to come.

52 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That was a pretty solid event. The end of my street was completely submerged which is a 1 in 3-5 year type event. Those that raised their houses after sandy but not the property lost any replacement landscaping. If it were me I would spend some extra money on fill to raise the entire property. This is going to be a recurring issue in years to come.

We'll see how close to the March levels the 12z guidance comes in on Friday. It makes sense to elevate the entire property when raising the house if you have landscaping. The exception would be the West End of Long Beach where numerous raised homes have mostly concrete around them. Did you see the report about all the parking problems that the home raising is causing?

Freeport NY
MLLW CATEGORIES - MINOR 5.7 FT, MODERATE 6.2 FT, MAJOR 6.9 FT
MHHW CATEGORIES - MINOR 1.2 FT, MODERATE 1.7 FT, MAJOR 2.4 FT
FOR NGVD - SUBTRACT 1.2 FT FROM MLLW VALUES

Total      Total    Departure
 Day/Time    Tide       Tide     from Norm   Waves    Flood
            ft MLLW    ft MHHW       ft       ft      Impact
 --------  ---------  ---------  ---------  -------  --------

27/11 AM   6.5/ 7.0   2.0/ 2.5   2.7/ 3.2    0-2    Mod-Maj
 27/11 PM   5.7/ 6.2   1.3/ 1.8   2.7/ 3.2    0-1    Min-Mod

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

I know how Freeport floods and I know when to bail.  It will come up all around you if you're not careful and it will be hard to escape.  Don't ruin your vehicle.  

We'll see how the new drainage/flood preventing system they put in over the summer on guy Lombard ave works.Thats the worse spot in freeport.

• Rjay unpinned this topic