Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 27 2018 Major East Coast Storm

bluewave

15 minutes ago, MeteorologicalFan said:

This is cutting that means rain for everyone and rain up from Friday after midnight until Saturday afternoon. Drizzle Saturday night, Sunday sprinkles a bit windy with a shower or two turning colder Sunday night.

This tracks overhead or just to the SW, not a true cutter that would put us into the warm sector.

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This tracks overhead or just to the SW, not a true cutter that would put us into the warm sector.

You’re right it’s not cutting yet, but the trend is for this to cut and go over philly and the poconos. That would be a cutter. Regardless if this was a true bm track we would have snow in burbs like the gfs was showing yesterday at 6z run

1 minute ago, MeteorologicalFan said:

You’re right it’s not cutting yet, but the trend is for this to cut and go over philly and the poconos. That would be a cutter. Regardless if this was a true bm track we would have snow in burbs like the gfs was showing yesterday at 6z run

Nobody in the area would have seen snow. Maybe the highest elevations in the Poconos would have gotten flakes and that's about it. 

This was always going to be a rain event for everyone unless you go far into Northern New England. 

17 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Nobody in the area would have seen snow. Maybe the highest elevations in the Poconos would have gotten flakes and that's about it. 

This was always going to be a rain event for everyone unless you go far into Northern New England. 

I think you’re wrong if this was a perfect track and low in the 980 range people north of Yorktown heights would have gotten wet snow.

7 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

On a side note, never let "bluewave" start a storm specific thread again lol.

Lol - this was funny joke (and know you are joking here) . But for uninitiated, Bluewave is one of our Crown Jewels - on the whole board, or Eastern, or WWBB. Anytime the dude has reflected/conjectured/observed  on something it is undoubtedly a sign to take it with keen attention and gravitas. 

• Like 2

We have to watch for the timing of the peak winds and surge this weekend. The late Saturday morning and early afternoon high tide cycle is one of the highest for October with the full moon.The nighttime high tide cycle is about a foot lower. Wind gusts over 50 mph along the coast will also have the potential to down branches and trees with the wet soil and fully leafed out trees.

The early peak surge estimates are around 2-3 feet. So the exact timing is important. All that is needed for low end major coastal flooding is a 3 foot surge with the morning into early afternoon high tide.

Astronomical tide heights with the full moon. Sandy Hook is shown below with back bays and LI Sound a bit later.

Wed 24   2:06 AM EDT / -0.1 ft 8:09 AM EDT / 5.5 ft 2:39 PM EDT / -0.1 ft 8:30 PM EDT / 5.2 ft Full Moon 7:16 AM EDT 6:02 PM EDT
Thu 25   2:45 AM EDT / -0.2 ft 8:44 AM EDT / 5.7 ft 3:22 PM EDT / -0.2 ft 9:09 PM EDT / 5.1 ft   7:17 AM EDT 6:01 PM EDT
Fri 26   3:25 AM EDT / -0.2 ft 9:22 AM EDT / 5.8 ft 4:05 PM EDT / -0.2 ft 9:52 PM EDT / 5.0 ft   7:19 AM EDT 6:00 PM EDT
Sat 27   4:06 AM EDT / -0.1 ft 10:03 AM EDT / 5.7 ft 4:49 PM EDT / -0.1 ft 10:40 PM EDT / 4.8 ft   7:20 AM EDT 5:58 PM EDT
Sun 28   4:48 AM EDT / 0.0 ft 10:51 AM EDT / 5.6 ft 5:37 PM EDT / 0.0 ft 11:36 PM EDT / 4.6 ft   7:21 AM EDT 5:57 PM EDT
  • Like 2

Models have a tuff time with events that include tropical moisture. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this develope into a warm core low. So pressure estimates that everyone seems to be obesssd with may be low at this time. Bump that into the strong high to our north and you end up with an over pro forming wind event. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a high wind warning verifying event on the coast.  

39 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Sandy Hook should expect 3FT. AN Storm Surge late Sat.      This is the Steven's Instit. estimate now.    Seas of 20' near Buoy 44065.

Saturday evening high tide looks most impacted but like bluewave stated it's about a foot lower than Saturday morning

48 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Models have a tuff time with events that include tropical moisture. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this develope into a warm core low. So pressure estimates that everyone seems to be obesssd with may be low at this time. Bump that into the strong high to our north and you end up with an over pro forming wind event. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a high wind warning verifying event on the coast.  

I too think winds will be stronger near the coast due to some tropical influences though it depends on the track.

For bigger coastal impacts, you'd want the low to curve NW into the coast rather than offshore. 

If the high get as strong as models predict then storm will have to slow down as well and crawl north. 

13 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

People have got distorted views of October storms because of October 2011 lol.  Thats like a one in multihundred year event.  Just be glad we're getting to see  a strong coastal right now- that bodes well for winter.

17 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

My Holly afd mentions snow is possible above 1000 ft in nw nj & the Poconos in the afd this morning.

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

People have got distorted views of October storms because of October 2011 lol.  Thats like a one in multihundred year event.  Just be glad we're getting to see  a strong coastal right now- that bodes well for winter.

You keep forgetting October 2012. That was equally as bad here although I don't think the power was out for as long, maybe 3 days instead of 5+ but that was because we had lost so many big trees just a year before.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I tend to agree in a steady state climate that was a 200-500 year event. But with things being in uncaharted waters anything is possible.

I still think the storm is stronger then currently modeled. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Storm still looking like a run of the mill Noreaster, its very weak I would not expect any winds over 50 mph anywhere even on the coast.

Just because the surface low isn't that deep doesn't mean the potential isn't there for some nasty winds. As others have said, the wind threat will come from the tight pressure gradient between the high to the North and the surface low pressure.

This is the 850mb level on the Euro which corresponds with the heavier precip so expect some of this to mix down.

ecmwf_mslp_uv850_neus_4.png

I’m going to predict this again... rain Friday night after midnight. Heavy rain up until 10am Saturday. Showers continuing until about 3-4pm drizzle for the evening. Cloudy Saturday night with some showers and sprinkles Sunday.

no winds higher than 50mph gusts. This will be a flooding problem at most with some surge Saturday morning! 

12 minutes ago, MeteorologicalFan said:

I’m going to predict this again... rain Friday night after midnight. Heavy rain up until 10am Saturday. Showers continuing until about 3-4pm drizzle for the evening. Cloudy Saturday night with some showers and sprinkles Sunday.

no winds higher than 50mph gusts. This will be a flooding problem at most with some surge Saturday morning! 

A lot of models have the rain coming in well before midnight now. Looks to me as if rain starts around 9 to 10pm friday night and tapers off late morning saturday.

• Rjay unpinned this topic