Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Annual end of Oct blockbuster

Ginx snewx

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

From Dandy Andys commodore 

Air temp - DP for  DP Depression then 1/3rd of the latter subtracted from the Air Temp = Wet Bulb...okay first approximation...who needs "state of the art bull****" when old school still works. In summer its all about the DP in winter its all about the WB

Thanks, I had always guessed the denominator was 2 and not 3.

I lost power for about 3 hours here earlier from the winds. A tree blew down somewhere near the state line on route 8 per GMP, which is an area that seems very vulnerable to fierce downslope winds and rotors during easterly mountain wave events. It's still quite windy, so I hope we don't lose power again.

Glaze is gone, but I wonder if I reglaze a little overnight as we've now dropped back to 32° F off a high of 34° F. 

I got a picture of this very vivid rainbow near the state line as they were clearing out there thanks to downslope flow. It's neat how you go from dark skies with heavy mist to partly cloudy over the course of a couple miles. Of course the winds are stronger where things clear out. The sun likely enhances mixing too.

IMG_0972.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Many folks here are anti leaf blowers and let leaves just sit or rake. Careful 

Oh god, don't tell me there is a crowd out there that feels afraid and oppressed because there are people who use leaf blowers! Next thing you know they'll be pulling them out or Lowes. Those who use them will be called fascists and haters. No end to the list of sins and sinners, I guess. And I thought buying a lithium powered model got me points for carbon footprint reduction.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

P-type switched to -RA about 5, after 1.3" of 6:1 snow in just over 2 hours.  The switch came as precip intensity decreased.  Heard a rumble, but we think it was the plow truck out on the paved road.  Still only light winds, not surprising in our somewhat sheltered lowland site.

We had some rumbles of thunder here around 4:30 or so as i was napping, Went to bed at 3:30 am and was up at 4:45 am to go hunting made for a long day.

47 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Oh god, don't tell me there is a crowd out there that feels afraid and oppressed because there are people who use leaf blowers! Next thing you know they'll be pulling them out or Lowes. Those who use them will be called fascists and haters. No end to the list of sins and sinners, I guess. And I thought buying a lithium powered model got me points for carbon footprint reduction.

Those are the same folks that use manual hand mowers and a pair of clippers to do the trim.

Winds really intense here on the west slopes of greens, get alot of wind events here, and this right up there with windiest I've seen, just howling almost nonstop.

I feel like since it's so windy here, the trees are aclimated to the micro climate and bend 1/3 of the way to the ground and don't uproot. Lots of branches and debris, but there usually aren't a lot of trees down.

Got a similar  rainbow pic as Mitch earlier..you can see the west slopes of the greens to the right and blue sky's over the center of valley.

rps20181027_194254.thumb.jpg.a1cb39239a69b0e9b87b0291f7e675bf.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Winds really intense here on the west slopes of greens, get alot of wind events here, and this right up there with windiest I've seen, just howling almost nonstop.

I feel like since it's so windy here, the trees are aclimated to the micro climate and bend 1/3 of the way to the ground and don't uproot. Lots of branches and debris, but there usually aren't a lot of trees down.

Got a similar  rainbow pic as Mitch earlier..you can see the west slopes of the greens to the right and blue sky's over the center of valley.

You and Mitch, phenomenal pics of upslope/downslope there.

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yeah same idea here just a bit lesser extent. Same concept on west slope 

34.8F  light rain howling winds. 

Just had a gust on the old Davis Anemometer to 41mph.  Temp is the high for the day.  About 1/2" of snow/sleet on the ground remains.  Rain and sleet on top of snow made it durable.

Again the lesson for me is cold air over preforms.  Temp started at 9am at 32.7F and has climbed only 2F in 12 hours.  Wind was more impressive than I thought.  Being in the cold air I didn't think it would be roaring like this.

2 hours ago, J Paul Gordon said:

I have a lithium powered blower as well. We slowing GW one lawn gear at a time.