• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Annual end of Oct blockbuster

Ginx snewx

It's not like 2011 when we laid the carpet with a predecessor snowfall and some frigid weather.  You probably want to be way in and way up for this one but it's worth monitoring, perhaps first flakes at the beginning or a bit of mixed junk for interior SNE at the start but way too early to iron out specifics until we get a better handle on storm track/intensity/high placement and strength and the air mass/temp profile we're looking at.  No thanks on another Snowtober event,  14 inches of cement on almost fully leafed trees can make for a very, very long week with a young family.  I'll take a nice coating or slushy inch of snowliage and be very content with that. 

Believe it or not this upcoming storm is similar to Dec 3rd 2007 , lots of similar upper air features. Dont sleep on it. Cat paws special ORH

2007-12-01 33 13 23.0 -11.7 42 0 T T 0
2007-12-02 23 13 18.0 -16.3 47 0 0.04 0.5 0
2007-12-03 33 22 27.5 -6.5 37 0 0.50 1.6 0
2007-12-04 24 15 19.5 -14.1 45 0 T T

2 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

It's not like 2011 when we laid the carpet with a predecessor snowfall and some frigid weather.  You probably want to be way in and way up for this one but it's worth monitoring, perhaps first flakes at the beginning or a bit of mixed junk for interior SNE at the start but way too early to iron out specifics until we get a better handle on storm track/intensity/high placement and strength and the air mass/temp profile we're looking at.  No thanks on another Snowtober event,  14 inches of cement on almost fully leafed trees can make for a very, very long week with a young family.  I'll take a nice coating or slushy inch of snowliage and be very content with that. 

I do not remember any predecessor snowfall, or cold weather before the bomb in October of 2011??  I remember it being quite mild the days before the storm...the day before(Friday) was over 60 if memory serves me right...no??

The days following the storm were very cold if that’s what you’re meaning??  

46 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I do not remember any predecessor snowfall, or cold weather before the bomb in October of 2011??  I remember it being quite mild the days before the storm...the day before(Friday) was over 60 if memory serves me right...no??

I’m with Wolf here....that 2011 thing just showed up on my doorstep and was like “hey care if I drop a few trees and power poles for ya?”

55 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

We had a small amount of snow 2 days prior to the October snowstorm. It was a high elevation snowfall.

6 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

There was a cold front 

6 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

There was a cold front passage with a swath of lighter snows in parts of CT but more importantly a deep cold air mass in place just prior to snowtober, it was not a marginal or retreating high pressure. we were locked in.  You guys need to look stuff up.  In general the event was highly unexpected but when we got closer it was very clear there was some impressive cold coming in just before the storm.  

13 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

There was a cold front 

There was a cold front passage with a swath of lighter snows in parts of CT but more importantly a deep cold air mass in place just prior to snowtober, it was not a marginal or retreating high pressure. we were locked in.  You guys need to look stuff up.  In general the event was highly unexpected but when we got closer it was very clear there was some impressive cold coming in just before the storm.  

Lol.. you just can’t make  that stuff up . Good call .. It was a very chilly week leading up to the storm .

1 hour ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Just a bit annoyed. I tend to remember the most exciting weather events I'm my lifetime.   We good.  Let the wolf howl and ice, ice baby. 

Whoa...take it easy. Nobody was howling or angry at all!!  Geez.  

in my town there was no snow prior.  And while I had the high temp the day before wrong(sorry my mistake), it was about 50 degrees on that Friday in my location...which hardly screams snow here.  And with some sunshine it felt quite mild.  Nothing that would make anybody think snow was on the way..not here anyway. Farther north and in higher elevated spots you had a precursor..but not here in central CT.  So that’s where I was coming from. 

And then the temp dropped overnight and kept dropping.  

Was forecast to rain here for the whole day til late afternoon..then change to snow gradually toward evening.  As we know that was very wrong...and it started as snow from the start. 

My girlfriend and family...and the general public believed we’d have no, or very little snow as late as that early morning...so it was a huge surprise for most in this area when it started out as snow...and went nuts.  

Didnt mean to anger you Valley...and I too remember what happened here in my area.  Different areas..different things.

49 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Whoa...take it easy. Nobody was howling or angry at all!!  Geez.  

in my town there was no snow prior.  And while I had the high temp the day before wrong(sorry my mistake), it was about 50 degrees on that Friday in my location...which hardly screams snow here.  And with some sunshine it felt quite mild.  Nothing that would make anybody think snow was on the way..not here anyway. Farther north and in higher elevated spots you had a precursor..but not here in central CT.  So that’s where I was coming from. 

And then the temp dropped overnight and kept dropping.  

Was forecast to rain here for the whole day til late afternoon..then change to snow gradually toward evening.  As we know that was very wrong...and it started as snow from the start. 

My girlfriend and family...and the general public believed we’d have no, or very little snow as late as that early morning...so it was a huge surprise for most in this area when it started out as snow...and went nuts.  

Didnt mean to anger you Valley...and I too remember what happened here in my area.  Different areas..different things.

No offense taken and I'm sorry if I offended you.  Your view tends to represent what much of the public would have thought about the storm, and the storm did overperform but there were also some pretty clear meteorological signs if you were following the model data and people like Ryan Hanrahan closely.  You were definitely in a bit more of a marginal area being further south but I'm pretty sure you were in a winter storm watch the day before and upgraded to a warning and projected to get 3 to 6 in from the National Weather Service, although I would have to look back at the data.  It was pretty clear that the air mass was very anomalous for that time of year, even if the sun made it feel mild just prior to the storm the atmosphere temperatures were already very cold and there was a strong high-pressure anchored in place and the predecessor snowfall gave a clue as to how cold the atmosphere was in the region even if snow didn't fall in your backyard.  The end results did surprise almost everyone with the amount of damage and destruction but the models and the atmospheric pattern were giving us clues in advance.    Some forecasters were clearly too conservative as well.  

7 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

No offense taken and I'm sorry if I offended you.  Your view tends to represent what much of the public would have thought about the storm, and the storm did overperform but there were also some pretty clear meteorological signs if you were following the model data and people like Ryan Hanrahan closely.  You were definitely in a bit more of a marginal area being further south but I'm pretty sure you were in a winter storm watch the day before and upgraded to a warning and projected to get 3 to 6 in from the National Weather Service, although I would have to look back at the data.  It was pretty clear that the air mass was very anomalous for that time of year, even if the sun made it feel mild just prior to the storm the atmosphere temperatures were already very cold and there was a strong high-pressure anchored in place and the predecessor snowfall gave a clue as to how cold the atmosphere was in the region even if snow didn't fall in your backyard.  The end results did surprise almost everyone with the amount of damage and destruction but the models and the atmospheric pattern were giving us clues in advance.    Some forecasters were clearly too conservative as well.  

Completely and totally agree with everything you're saying.  I was well aware of the potential, and warned alot of my family and friends that there could be more snow...much more than what was even being suggested.  And yes, the ingredients were very anomalous...and yes the signals were there if you were following along on here.  But even the local stations were not calling for a complete snow event here at all...not by a long shot..nobody was for this area.  But for this area it way way overperformed from what was being advertised.  All the stations were playing catch up as it set in.  

No worries though...