Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

4 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Latest trend went north tho....I’m hoping we can all get at least 3-4”

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Which model? Everything I’m seeing shows maybe 3 inches max, maybe 4 in souther AGC. 

I did notice the 3K went a little NW. Very slight. HRRR and RAP are all very similar. KPIT holding steady with its 4-6 in idea though. Even made a statement on twitter about how nothing has changed to their numbers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

I did notice the 3K went a little NW. Very slight. HRRR and RAP are all very similar. KPIT holding steady with its 4-6 in idea though. Even made a statement on twitter about how nothing has changed to their numbers.

The text forecasts in Westmoreland and Fayette actually say 4-8” total (I don’t mean aggregating the point and click numbers like people erroneously do, that is their actual stated total in the forecast).

So we’ll see. I’ve absolutely seen it a ton of times where a storm “slightly too far SE” outperforms guidance here. But the speed of this system scares me too much to bet on it. I hope they are right. 

Model trends are better esp for the southern counties. RAP and GFS both have 6” well across the border, with a lot of areas in the 4”-5” range. RAP with 5 ish” in to AGC and PIT, and throwing up around 7” at LBE

Im going to say that the warm air advection has been slightly underdone, which in this case is to our advantage 

NWS went to Adv locally and kept the warning in Morgantown. Very strange how that was done.

nice little snow tongue sneaking up the Mon valley

acsnw_sfc_f18.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burghblizz said:

Model trends are better esp for the southern counties. RAP and GFS both have 6” well across the border, with a lot of areas in the 4”-5” range. RAP with 5 ish” in to AGC and PIT, and throwing up around 7” at LBE

Im going to say that the warm air advection has been slightly underdone, which in this case is to our advantage 

NWS went to Adv locally and kept the warning in Morgantown. Very strange how that was done.

nice little snow tongue sneaking up the Mon valley

acsnw_sfc_f18.png

Nice to wake up o this news!

I see we were downgraded to an Advisory.
lol :frostymelt:

With pretty much no change to the forecast. Kinda makes me wonder if someone over at the NWS took a little too much authority in making that call for the WSW. I don’t know the procedures but I’m sure a lot of people were shaking their heads at that

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

With pretty much no change to the forecast. Kinda makes me wonder if someone over at the NWS took a little too much authority in making that call for the WSW. I don’t know the procedures but I’m sure a lot of people were shaking their heads at that

It was weird. A warning 24 hours out with a sub warning forecast. So basically they knocked an inch off their forecast and gave the correct headline....now most of the guidance aligns with it. Should be a nice afternoon. 

50 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Bit of a dry slot in the region, hopefully we get in on some banding later on as the system consolidates.

I noticed the better rates had decreased a good bit, radar shows best returns into Butler and Armstrong. Can't say I expected that, hopefully we can get that to fill back in. 

Seeing lots of reports of rain in the MA forum, seems the system is strengthening faster than anticipated and the severe component down south is over performing. Doubt it means much for us though, but interesting. 

Roads are starting to get covered now, expect with sunset approaching conditions will get slick pretty rapidly on untreated surfaces. 

Totals aside its a very picturesque winter scene out there right now. 

31 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

I’ve been stuck in this super fine mist of a snow for the last 2 hours. Probably somewhere around 2” so far

I had a couple hours of big fatties, but then same story. Super fine needle flakes that never could get rolling. Have about 3” on the back porch, which is north facing and somewhat shaded.