Washington, Canonsburg, Waynesburg, Murrysville, Greensburg,
New Kensington, Uniontown, Moundsville, New Martinsville,
Fairmont, and Morgantown
131 PM EST Sat Mar 2 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SUNDAY TO 1 AM EST
MONDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 6
  inches expected.

* WHEN...From 10 AM Sunday to 1 AM EST Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow means severe winter weather
conditions will make travel very hazardous or impossible. If you
must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your
vehicle in case of an emergency.

Please report snow or ice by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the
NWS Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh

&&

$$

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Possibly PBZ is seeing that slight inverted trough feature on some of the guidance, and anticipating some WAA enhancement. 

Just a thought. 

Yes and their discussion also mentions the saturated DGZ.  If they are right and this storm produces 6", it will be a major learning event for me 

12 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Possibly PBZ is seeing that slight inverted trough feature on some of the guidance, and anticipating some WAA enhancement. 

Just a thought. 

I've seen this on the coast and they tend to be modeled somewhat by the meso models.  I don't see a single model (mesos included) getting anywhere near 6" for Pittsburgh metro unless I'm missing something.  The closest is the Euro with 4" (and it maybe paints a small strip of 6" in eastern Washington county).  Warning (in this case) means 6" in 12 hours is imminent.  I don't know that that's the wording I would use.

42 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Just a thought. 

Agree...that feature many times over performs in this scenario

Still bizzaire to go straight warning without a 6” average expected in the forecast

So they issue a WSW for this, but for the event where we got 4 inches in 4 hours last week, and it all came at the worst possible time they didn’t? They also didn’t issue the WWA Thursday night till it started snowing. 

Aybe theu know something we don’t?

Just now, stjbeautifulday said:

I think they are trying to cover their butts after all these bad calls.  It’s coming during the day and people will be out and about.  Weather.com says 1-3 inches for Moon still.  I’m so confused. 

I don’t think they have made a lot of bad calls this year. The Jan slop storm was almost impossible to make a good call. Would have had to go against all other forecasts.

These last couple smaller storms just happened to verify on the high end (which is great for us)

1 minute ago, Burghblizz said:

I don’t think they have made a lot of bad calls this year. The Jan slop storm was almost impossible to make a good call. Would have had to go against all other forecasts.

These last couple smaller storms just happened to verify on the high end (which is great for us)

The January storm...every model the night before but the euro showed us getting close to nothing. Even that morning as it was raining we were still under a WSW for 5-8 inches. We all saw that coming a couple days out.

The quick hit we got Thursday night, the day before we had a 30% chance of snow. Thursday morning they showed less than an inch.We didn’t get a WWA until it started to snow. 

They also busted pretty low on last weeks quick hit...I think they were 1-3 then had to up to 3-6 as the stprm

progressed.

Just now, KPITSnow said:

The January storm...every model the night before but the euro showed us getting close to nothing. Even that morning as it was raining we were still under a WSW for 5-8 inches. We all saw that coming a couple days out.

The quick hit we got Thursday night, the day before we had a 30% chance of snow. Thursday morning they showed less than an inch.We didn’t get a WWA until it started to snow. 

They also busted pretty low on last weeks quick hit...I think they were 1-3 then had to up to 3-6 as the stprm

progressed.

Maybe....but splitting hairs. Point I was trying to make before is that I don’t  think they are going intentionally bullish to make up for bad calls. If anything, forecasts usually get slightly more conservative as a PR move.

i agree with you that they are definitely thinking it outperforms guidance at this point. But it’s what they think will happen. 

I’d probably go with 2-4” City and points NW, and 3-5” southern and eastern suburbs. 4-6” the border counties