Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

1 hour ago, southpark said:

I also think the earlier runs of the EURO from the past few days had last night's storm in the totals so we are now deducting those out since the event has passed.

Yeah I think you're right.  Mistake on my part, thinking those maps only showed a single event synopsis.

Storm is definitely less amped, though.  Truthfully, this was never going to be a "big one" because of the progressive flow.  If there weren't so many waves scrambling close together, I do think this weekend could have been a major event (maybe not for us - depends on other factors - but for someone).

13 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Weaker, faster or all of the above would do. I think we should be out of the woods on a to far NW track at this point. 

NWS call for 4-6 if verified would be "acceptable". We should never punt any event that could give 5+ in this area. Personally I'd like to see WSW with 5-8, which is doable, but with the speed and it being an open wave we can only expect so much.

Watching the surface panels is excruciating.. I keep waiting for it to turn the corner but just keeps sliding ENE. 

I do agree, beggars can't be choosers and all, but we've still managed a fair amount of snow this year.  For me, the little to modest events have simply lost their appeal.

Is 2010 still the last double-digit snowfall for Pittsburgh metro?

6 minutes ago, jwilson said:

Yeah I think you're right.  Mistake on my part, thinking those maps only showed a single event synopsis.

Storm is definitely less amped, though.  Truthfully, this was never going to be a "big one" because of the progressive flow.  If there weren't so many waves scrambling close together, I do think this weekend could have been a major event (maybe not for us - depends on other factors - but for someone).

I do agree, beggars can't be choosers and all, but we've still managed a fair amount of snow this year.  For me, the little to modest events have simply lost their appeal.

Technically March 21 2018 was double digit. But the snowpack was already starting to melt before the last flakes had even fallen. 

1 hour ago, jwilson said:

This is true, technically per official climate data we are only 0.3 below normal for snowfall for the date. If we manage another 4-6 this weekend we will be within a stone's through of normal despite the overall lousy feel this season has had. Nickel and Dime is how we roll. 

I am with you, everyday further into March the bigger the snowfall needs to be to get my attention. That said if we get a brief period of heavy snow that only amounts to one inch but falls in a 30 minute period I'll enjoy it nonetheless. 

11 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

:ee:

9 times out of 10 these things keep adjusting North the last 24-36 hours, since we need it this time though you can count on it NOT happening lol Where was this adjustment for the January storm. Unbelievable this Saturday storm just appears out of know where to screw us.

Oh well, at least the Pens blew another lead in the last 3 minutes and lost in overtime again.:facepalm:

• Like 1

Isn’t amazing, after years of watching the GFS giving us 100 inches of snow and being wrong while the euro locks in on the correct solution, that this year the GFS has been dead on here and the euro has shown multiple big hits but been completely wrong?

4 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:
10 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:
3B2571A0-5C6F-4090-879B-F2D0379A72E4.png.8e7377ef7848900bb63cdef16d1e9f8f.png
Another step back on 6z Euro. If my yard gets cut anymore I may bleed to death lol.

By the time this "storm" actually gets here, it'll end up being a coating to an inch. Lol No thanks. I'd rather see spring at this point.

Bethel Park looks on the fringe of 4”.....better than a dusting?

1 hour ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Bethel Park looks on the fringe of 4”.....better than a dusting?

Depends what you want from a storm this time of year. My yard is probably in the 2-3 range on the 6z Euro but 12z GFS is like 1. I'd also be skeptical of light snow doing much accumulating in mid afternoon this time of year with the type of cold we will have around. Maybe the short range models will look better but for now this doesn't instill much hope. 

gfs_asnow_neus_9.thumb.png.445e6e6fae8d6e8ead3881e4d0fcb328.png

2 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but the Euro being out to lunch is the new norm.

56 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Only when it shows a good storm for us, next time when it's the other way around it will nail it. Lol

This has been one of the worst winters for modeling, I believe, at least in the long-term.  It probably isn't as bad as I think, but I would like to see verification scores relative to other years.  Constant short-term adjustments, disagreements, etc.  I do agree the Euro has not been strong in a year when verification scores say the GFS has been abysmal.  Twice now it has caved to the GFS, though.

Seems the models couldn't handle the pattern overall of this winter.  I'm sure this will make for an interesting case study for those in the field.  It was so bad the FV3 has been put back to sleep.

The Sunday storm is losing much of its impact over the entire northeast.  Given how the January system went, it wouldn't surprise me if the Sunday storm went even further southeast or drier than is being modeled.  Well, I guess we learn to not get suckered in when there are all these little balls of energy trying to vie for the limited amount in the atmosphere.

The paradigm of "choosing the model that looks worse for us" certainly hasn't been shifted by this season.