• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

At least we got to wake up to some snow falling.  No doubt this was a bit of a fail, but at least it wasn't all that surprising.  Go with the model that gives us the worst result.

As for next week, the GFS says everything becomes northern stream dominant.  I hope everyone likes cutters and clippers.  The FV3, among others, is quite different.

Next Thursday is a weird result overall.  Could be another rain to snow event.  Following that we have a coastal chance on Monday.  Need a NW trend.

2 hours ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

Wrap up:  As of 7AM my totals are 1.08" total liquid, 3.0" new snow(0.20" melted liquid), 3.5" on ground.  Surprisingly with all the rain the existing snow pack held tough.  There was a quick snow burst around noon with a trace that melted quickly on hard surfaces.  The rest of the day had light misty rain until 4PM when steadier rain began and continued until the changeover to snow around 2:30 AM.  Temperature head steady at 34 until the cold arrived about 3AM.  The snow is drifting so the depth is an average of several places, could be +\-  a half inch.  Currently snow and blowing snow, gusty winds, at 18F.  This was a juicy storm, too bad it wasn't all snow.

When the sleet hit this morning it was crazy quick from an onslaught against the windows to periods of heavy snow.. It was cool to see but left me wondering what if... 

Onto the next threat I guess. Hard to gauge how much due to the wind but looks like 2-3 inches. 

Looking at the CoCoRAHS reports the highest amount of snow that I see is 14" near Erie, NW interior and northcentral mtns seem to be a general 8-10", NE PA around 3-6", no where near the modeled high end (what was it now, it changed so much?) 12-18".  Total precip was good, I feel the starting temperature was the issue.  No cold air in place pre-storm.  

Wind Chill Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1003 AM EST Sun Jan 20 2019

OHZ049-050-PAZ014-020>022-073-WVZ001-202315-
/O.EXP.KPBZ.WW.Y.0006.000000T0000Z-190120T1500Z/
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WC.Y.0001.190121T0000Z-190121T1800Z/
Harrison-Jefferson-Butler-Beaver-Allegheny-Armstrong-Westmoreland-
Hancock-
Including the cities of Cadiz, Steubenville, Butler, Aliquippa,
Beaver Falls, Ambridge, Monaca, Pittsburgh Metro Area,
Kittanning, Ford City, Murrysville, Greensburg, New Kensington,
and Weirton
1003 AM EST Sun Jan 20 2019

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM
EST MONDAY...
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY HAS EXPIRED...

* WHAT...Very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as low as
  15 below zero expected.

* WHERE...Portions of southwest, west central and western
  Pennsylvania, east central Ohio and northern West Virginia.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 1 PM EST Monday.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Wind Chill Advisory means that cold air and the wind will
combine to create low wind chills. Frostbite and hypothermia can
occur if precautions are not taken. Make sure you wear a hat and
gloves.

&&

Yeah, this one was a big bust all the way around. Forecast late last night was saying 2 to 4 once the cold air came in. Nope. I maybe have an inch. I'm not even going to bother measuring. When I see grass sticking out of the snow, I know it wasn't much. Like some have already said here, at least we pretty much expected this even with the Euro trying to get our hopes up. Anyway, on to the next disappointment. ;) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Saw a post in the central pa thread. A perfect display of the power of the WAA is happening in Hebron Maine today. It is 4 degrees outside with a windchill in the -teens. The current Ptype is sleet and freezing rain.

I saw that...completely crazy.

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

Saw a post in the central pa thread. A perfect display of the power of the WAA is happening in Hebron Maine today. It is 4 degrees outside with a windchill in the -teens. The current Ptype is sleet and freezing rain.

Can you imagine the damage if you got moderate rain falling at 4 degrees.. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, jwilson said:

Boy that 12Z Canadian run sure was fun.  We get a triple phase on Monday that jumps from the benchmark to Utica, followed by a Miller A on Wednesday.  That would basically be a dream week for us.

Of course, despite all that, we still only manage 10" in Allegheny.

Wow.. totally animated gif worthy just based on that track... I'd role the dice on that irregardless of what it shows for snow totals.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh156-186.gif

4 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Impossible for the WTOD on that one. Right??

Haha I hope so... One never knows in this area though. :unsure:

00z Euro and 12z FV3 both have a storm too, its just well east, looks like much less phasing involved which if I had to wager on I'd lean that way. I'd love to see what the GEM would have looked like had it phased 12 hours earlier...

11 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

That’s pretty. Tracks like that used to much more common. Slop would be I95s problem not ours.

And yes, no WTOD.

You can tell there likely a negative tilted trough and closed 500 low without even looking. Ideally that little retrograde happens a little further south

Sure is.. Nice progression, cool to see all 3 pieces phasing in.

gem_z500_vort_us_fh150-174.gif

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I’m still waiting in that apps bomb, 1950 redux Henry m promised us about 10 years ago.

One if these days we will get hit. I’d love an I 95 running miller A that throws snow back to us...I’m pretty much over miller b’s and having to thread the needle.

Those seem to be so rare. When is the last one we had? 1994 maybe? That is the perfect setup for us for sure. Don't have to worry about WTOD and we get moisture from both the Gulf and Atlantic as it heads north. Maybe some day it'll happen again.

• Like 2