Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA 222 PM EST Sat Jan 19 2019 OHZ049-050-PAZ021-073-074-200330- /O.CON.KPBZ.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-190120T1500Z/ Harrison-Jefferson-Allegheny-Westmoreland-Westmoreland Ridges- Including the cities of Cadiz, Steubenville, Pittsburgh Metro Area, Murrysville, Greensburg, New Kensington, Ligonier, and Donegal 222 PM EST Sat Jan 19 2019 ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST SUNDAY... * WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation. Additional snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches and ice accumulations of less than a tenth of an inch are expected. A period of rain is expected this afternoon and evening before cold air returns. * WHERE...In Pennsylvania, Westmoreland, Westmoreland Ridges and Allegheny Counties. In Ohio, Jefferson and Harrison Counties. * WHEN...Until 10 AM EST Sunday. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow, sleet and ice will make travel very hazardous or impossible. Please report snow or ice by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the NWS Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh

4 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Nws getting bashed on Twitter. Not entirely their fault. I blame the local stations with all the hype. The closings, all the penndot stories, grocery stores cleaned out, hardware stores salt hype. 

Sadly, the laymen among us don't really understand weather forecasting, so of course they are reactionary when things don't go as they expect.  I also realize the NWS can't win.  If they are wrong low or high, they are going to get bashed by people that don't understand meteorology.

That said, they should almost certainly know better than anyone as to our local climatology and model biases.  Without a fresh cold airmass, that WAA is damn near impossible to stop.  They seemed overzealous with the totals in the southern zones.

As for local news stations, unfortunately, not much you can do there.  They are a business and in the business of ratings.  It is quite literally their job to get viewers.  Providing objective, factual information is a distant second.  Showing Day 5+ model data to people who don't understand models is a terrible idea and always will be.

14 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Nws getting bashed on Twitter. Not entirely their fault. I blame the local stations with all the hype. The closings, all the penndot stories, grocery stores cleaned out, hardware stores salt hype. 

I think NWS did a good job highlighting the fact it was a low confidence forecast while warning of what could happen. The discussion mentioned multiple times the uncertainty in the northward pace of the warm air and how this would drastically effect sensible weather. I think given the information available at the time they made the right calls. The average person just saw the map and the big numbers and went with that. You rarely see large forecast changes right before an event and I'd assume they will slowly tweak accumulations downward. 

I agree the media rarely does the right type of reporting for these storms, it's more about hype and ratings and the stores go right along with it hyping sales for groceries, salt, and generators. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I like how it says an ADDITIONAL 3-6 inches in the weather statement. Who got any already?

One thing I did not see was the delay in precipitation. I figured rain or snow would be falling by now. Short of a brief light snow / sleet mix earlier this morning its been dry. That does make the "additional" sound like somebody actually got some snow to this point. 

5 minutes ago, north pgh said:

The weather channel has a guy in cranberry Twp. 

Maybe Mike Bettis standing in front of a snow machine?! Lol He did nothing to help his credibility in that Hurricane in NC this year struggling to stand while 2 guys in shorts casually walked through a parking lot in the background. 

This is the last time I get my hopes up and then get crushed by the WTOD.... 

oh wait nope I’ll be right in line waiting for the next one. 

I think we all pretty much knew throughout the week that this was inevitable. What got our hopes up was that damn Euro crushing us like it did for run after run. Hoped that the others would cave to it but the opposite happened. The Euro modeled this one very poorly this time around.

9 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

I think we all pretty much knew throughout the week that this was inevitable. What got our hopes up was that damn Euro crushing us like it did for run after run. Hoped that the others would cave to it but the opposite happened. The Euro modeled this one very poorly this time around.

Hoping we can scrape out 2-3 on the backend overnight

25 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

The GFS nailed this storm, basically since Monday.  It didn't flip-flop once while the Euro went from north to south and then slowly back north again.  I was worried the GFS was right because it was the most consistent.  Certainly we didn't like what it showed, but it can score a coup every once in a while.  Beating both the Euro and UK is an oddity, for sure.