• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

You guys should have listened to me when I called a Youngstown special a week ago. 

Oh, I was right there with you basically saying the same things. This hobby just pulls you in when you think just maybe we'll get the prize at the end for once....then it rips the rug out from underneath you and takes you back to the reality that is living in this area.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

GFS is worse too. I’m probably done with this one.

Yep.. If this is what verifies honestly I'd rather it just drive to Erie and dryslot us. I'd even take a sleet storm at this point. Plain rain is such a waste. Now cast time should be interesting, but I already have one hand on the blinds ready to close. 

gfs_asnow_neus_6.png

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yep.. If this is what verifies honestly I'd rather it just drive to Erie and dryslot us. I'd even take a sleet storm at this point. Plain rain is such a waste. Now cast time should be interesting, but I already have one hand on the blinds ready to close. 

gfs_asnow_neus_6.png

Well put. The Canadian went a little bit north but still gives us our best chance of accumulating snow. It is nowcast time. Let’s wake up and hope it starts as snow and doesn’t change over too early. Are we in for a surprise? You never know but I would put our odds at about 30%. Good luck everyone.

One last thing and I am done posting until tomorrow when the snow begins. I am disappointed in the trends like everyone else but I still think we will do okay. My guesses.  Blending the models we can get the Southern part of the county 2-4. Central county 4-6 and north county 6-8. It will start as snow and if it holds on we could get some decent snow early and it will be daylight so I’m going outside to enjoy what falls. Let’s hope if it goes to rain it is light and changes after dark. 

I feel like I just watched a Steelers game and get all worked up for a last minute loss. But as I get older I get over it quicker and get on to the next game. Let’s get SOME snow tomorrow and the pattern is ripe for some cold and more snow in the coming weeks. Maybe some clippers and when we get them they seem to be more enjoyable because we don’t have the precipitation issues.

• Like 1

Just now, north pgh said:

One last thing and I am done posting until tomorrow when the snow begins. I am disappointed in the trends like everyone else but I still think we will do okay. My guesses.  Blending the models we can get the Southern part of the county 2-4. Central county 4-6 and north county 6-8. It will start as snow and if it holds on we could get some decent snow early and it will be daylight so I’m going outside to enjoy what falls. Let’s hope if it goes to rain it is light and changes after dark. 

I feel like I just watched a Steelers game and get all worked up for a last minute loss. But as I get older I get over it quicker and get on to the next game. Let’s get SOME snow tomorrow and the pattern is ripe for some cold and more snow in the coming weeks. Maybe some clippers and when we get them they seem to be more enjoyable because we don’t have the precipitation issues.

Ditto...

Also, I found this probabilistic forecast from the NWS hilarious.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 11.32.14 PM.png

2 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Speaking of the next "game" GFS says we maybe get to do it all over again next week! :facepalm:

Still time for it to move south lol

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_21.png

Welp, the 3k NAM was worse yet, I believe. With any luck we'll be able to get 2-3". The tracking is so fun but boy is it a letdown when things fall apart!! It does make me feel better that the folks in the forum are right there with me though. Plus, I've learned so much from a bunch of you since joining. Thanks!!! 

• Like 1

Already 31 degrees. Not a good sign.

looks like a high of 35 in pit. Might as well take down the WSW and issue a flood watch for all the rain were a about to get.....

its funny we predicted this from the beginning - we know how things work around here. Cold air always loses the battle until you get to rt 422/I 80.

just goes to show how rare it is to actually get a big snowfall (12+) in this area. Hopefully we can get 2-3” before it rains all day.

I know everyone knows that it is coming, but here is some nowcasting to prove it... the ridge is way more amplified than any of the models were showing. The h8 temps way warmer than thought c3ea970b1f66a88987dae7b0da39bd90.jpg

This has resulted in places like Indy (who was right on the mixing line like us) to be all rain.

It’s inevitable.

Even my conservative forecast might bust high, haha.  Not surprising with no cold air locked into place.

Unfortunately, we can't get that broad trough storm we need.  These storms demonstrate how rare the right track is for this area.  Things almost always align too far north or too far south.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

My point an click still says all snow...I’m starting to

wonder if this is some sort of government shutdown protest.

I agree. Nobody is changing anything in our area not even WPC. Are they being cautious or do they not trust this WTOD? Fingers crossed. Remember it is nowcast time. F the models and time to sky watch.