• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

I forgot to mention there is a slight freezing rain hazard possible for places that change over to rain.  If the surface doesn't warm as much as the 850s, which is possible if the primary low stays as far south as some models indicate, southern Allegheny into Washington and Greene counties could see a prolonged freezing rain event.  Maybe .25-.50 which is a lot of freezing rain.

The 3K NAM does push surface temps up to 33-34 or so while the 850s stay below freezing, so that's more of a sleet/snow or even plain rain signal, but the opposite is still possible.

26 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I fully expect some sort of mixing well up into butler county. Just the way it always works. 

I wouldn't get too discouraged yet. The Canadian has the low closer to Pa border and gives all of Allegheny Co 6-10 from south to north. The GFS has the low down in West Virginia and brings snow line much further north. Right now I'd give all of Allegheny Co a 50/50 chance or a nice snowfall. Some models will nail this and some will be wrong but I think the only model that will be 100% right is what actually happens and we won't know that until about 6:00 pm on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Update for next week's system:

I'm watching the 12Z GFS and notice a lot of energy hanging around at H5.  Obviously, the initial wave is a cutter and does us no good, but after that we see a bit of packed dynamite hanging around in the south and down into Mexico.  This is at hour 126, so it isn't fantasy range.  The present evolution of this isn't useful for us, but what we could eventually get to is a classic Miller A if the NS drops in and phases.  We'd have the 50/50 low and a high pressure to our north.  Too early and west with the phase and that's bad (like the CMC shows), but if the low develops in the Gulf and pushes east, then phases, we have a pretty significant storm that would probably be decent for us.  It goes without saying but it all depends on the location and timing.

Despite the rain storm ahead of time, there is a possible out to another good event next Thursday/Friday.  I guess we'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

I think now is the time that we start focusing in on the short range models and not so much with the globals.  but I could be wrong...

We are now in the NAMs wheelhouse. I think the fact that the 12z showed no mixing at KPIT (a little points south) is very encouraging. Almost to nowcast time.

2 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

We are now in the NAMs wheelhouse. I think the fact that the 12z showed no mixing at KPIT (a little points south) is very encouraging. Almost to nowcast time.

Here’s my forecast in chalk hill: wintry mix tomorrow morning, rain to snow at night with 1” snow expected-Sunday morning snow showers with less than an 1” expected....:raining:

52 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

12z NAM was disregarded by WPC as an outlier.  Don't hang your hat on it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, north pgh said:

What is wrong with this? Unless you are near the southern border? Since when is 5-9 inches of snow a bad thing? Keep the faith.

It is the fact that it keeps bumping north...and the fact that our events almost always set up the mix line 25-50 miles further north than modeled.

So while it shows a foot...given other guidance and our general history with storms I’d be shocked if Pittsburgh gets more than 6 inches before a rainstorm.

• Like 1

My thoughts. Yes it bumped north but the 12z runs have been doing that everyday. Hopefully the NAM stays where it's at or bumps south and we can have some wiggle room. We just know the history of our area and how the warm air surge is usually under modeled.