Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

10 minutes ago, Mailman said:

I've already thrown in the towel for down here, but you guys are gonna be sooooooo close.  Kinda glad it's not me.  Too stressful.  Causes me to lose sleep.

I haven't thrown in the towel but it's in my hand ready to go. These models almost always underestimate that warm tongue. With me being on the very edge as it is, I just get the bad feeling I'm going to end up with a lot more slop than what is being modeled. I've just seen it happen so often over the years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackngoldrules said:

I haven't thrown in the towel but it's in my hand ready to go. These models almost always underestimate that warm tongue. With me being on the very edge as it is, I just get the bad feeling I'm going to end up with a lot more slop than what is being modeled. I've just seen it happen so often over the years.

I'm right on the edge, most models give me 10-12 but 10 miles to the South totals drop to like 3-4 inches then like 1-2 another 15 miles. I really don't think that will happen like that, that fall line will likely setup just a bit further North.. I've seen in countless times, 10 miles north of me gets hammered (my Dad is plowing the drive way and I'm using a broom to push some slop off the sidewalk). The 6z FV3 looks close to what climo typically looks like for these storms.

The Euro and UKMET are very close, and have the changeover about 25-50 miles south of what the 06z FV3 shows. NAM is really on it's own, but I'm not sure when (if ever lol) you should start to weigh it's thermals over the GFS. Either way its likely way underdone the warm wedge.

fv3p_asnow_neus_10.png

• Like 1

Just now, blackngoldrules said:

Yes. For the most part, it's on its own. There's no way I can see that warm wedge not making it to Allegheny County like the latest NAM suggests. It almost always does in this scenario.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10-4. I guess we'll see in an hour or so...

I thought the mix line stayed south of the city. Usually if we are in the pinkish purple that will be counted on the snowfall map but I didn’t notice any sleet from the city north. Doesn’t mean it will necessarily fall that way though 

Just now, dj3 said:

I thought the mix line stayed south of the city. Usually if we are in the pinkish purple that will be counted on the snowfall map but I didn’t notice any sleet from the city north. Doesn’t mean it will necessarily fall that way though 

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Just looking at the mix line and the temps it stays all snow. Unfortunately the warm tongue often likes to punch higher than the models show. 

Yeah, despite the 0Z NAM shift from last night, I don't see enough change to make me feel all warm and tingly.  I think this system is setting up for disappointment from city points south.

I'll say 2-5" (of snow) in the city and points south, with about 1-2" around the Mason Dixon line (mostly after temp crash).  There will likely be an area that gets 2-4" of sleet or more on top of that snow, perhaps somewhere into Northern Allegheny just above the city into Westmoreland and Armstrong counties.

The jackpot zone will probably setup into Lawrence, Butler, and Clarion counties running northeast, and of course more as you get into central/northern PA.

Hopefully February brings more success.  Of course, we get another cutter this week followed by a clipper parade.

• Like 1