Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

6 hours ago, jwilson said:

AFAIK, Al Roker isn't even a meteorologist.  He has a B.A. in Communications.  The people behind the scenes are probably using the GFS mostly, or some kind of blend.

Right now, though, most of the models aren't on our side if you're looking for heavy snowfall.

He’s not-I looked him up. But Dylan Dreyer is. I prefer her anyway.  

19 minutes ago, stjbeautifulday said:

So what’s the next storm in the pipeline? 

After this one it looks like we get some rain ahead of another arctic front on Wednesday and maybe a clipper next weekend. Sometimes clippers end up being some of our better storms. Still a ways out things can change.

20 minutes ago, north pgh said:

After this one it looks like we get some rain ahead of another arctic front on Wednesday and maybe a clipper next weekend. Sometimes clippers end up being some of our better storms. Still a ways out things can change.

Yeah.. GFS has had a wave of clippers on the most recent model runs.  Hard to say how that'll look a week from now.  I like clippers.

2 hours ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

What about in Chalk Hill? I’m in the screw zone this time with maybe 2” with the warm tongue 

I honestly don't know much about your area.  Had to google the town.  Are you near Uniontown?  What's your local microclimate like?

It looks like you'd be in the ridges and susceptible to upsloping (orographic lift) thus more snow potential.  If you get stuck in the warm sector like the rest of us south of Pittsburgh and west of the Apps, then you'll probably get no more than the city.  Still waiting until 0Z, but right now even the meso models aren't promising.  3K NAM takes the line into Butler and almost north of Armstrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jwilson said:

I honestly don't know much about your area.  Had to google the town.  Are you near Uniontown?  What's your local microclimate like?

It looks like you'd be in the ridges and susceptible to upsloping (orographic lift) thus more snow potential.  If you get stuck in the warm sector like the rest of us south of Pittsburgh and west of the Apps, then you'll probably get no more than the city.  Still waiting until 0Z, but right now even the meso models aren't promising.  3K NAM takes the line into Butler and almost north of Armstrong.

I live on the “mountain” up from Uniontown-about 2100 evelavation but according to the maps-elevation doesn’t seem to be a factor with this one? Our temperature is always about 4-6 degrees cooler up here than at the bottom of the sunmit

I live on the “mountain” up from Uniontown-about 2100 evelavation but according to the maps-elevation doesn’t seem to be a factor with this one? Our temperature is always about 4-6 degrees cooler up here than at the bottom of the sunmit
Yeah, I would think you'd do well with this one where you're at now. You managed to get out of the screw zone known as Bethel Park. You should be rewarded for that. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I know we moan and groan about our area(and I’m originally from NJ and miss the nor’easters) but this from the weather channel picked up my mood just a tad this evening(I hate everything Boston!):
https://weather.com/storms/winter/video/boston-has-had-less-than-one-inch-of-snow-this-winter

Haha love it. Cry babies. They get blasted with a 2 foot storm at least every other year it seems.

Hmm...

NAM could be a sampling issue, though I've noticed this "clipper" wave is coming in colder (maybe more south) than some of the models expected.

I won't get too excited until we see if the GFS, among others, follow suit, or if the NAM simply flips right back north at 6Z.

It led the way in 2016, so I won't totally discount it, either.